Raw dairy

TrailBlazzinMN
TrailBlazzinMN Posts: 509 Member
edited September 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Anyone here eat/drink raw dairy products?

Replies

• Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Goat milk
  • TrailBlazzinMN
    Werd.
  • j3nesis87
    j3nesis87 Posts: 18 Member
    I don't dare. We invented pasturisation for a reason!
  • TrailBlazzinMN
    j3nesis87 wrote: »

Yes we did...to try and combat the horrible, inhumane conditions at conventional dairy farms while covering their a$$es.
  • j3nesis87
    j3nesis87 Posts: 18 Member
    Ooh, today I learned :) point stands, after pasteurisation became widespread deaths due to dairy-borne illnesses dropped.

You might not get sick from raw dairy of course, but it's not recommended to drink/eat it.
    http://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/rawmilk/raw-milk-questions-and-answers.html#hurt
    http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm079516.htm
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    I did. I got some milk, fresh from the cow.

I didn't like it.

Nonfat, store-bought for me.

I do get fresh eggs, though. They don't have to be refrigerated, so it saves a little space in there, too. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Sometimes. It's a pain to get the raw stuff in my state, though.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    No. I did not grow up with animal milk --- it seems weird. And because of lactose intolerance.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Discovered, not invented.

• abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »

I do get fresh eggs, though. They don't have to be refrigerated, so it saves a little space in there, too. :)

I've heard this for so long but I've never actually attempted it. It terrifies me to leave eggs out of the fridge. I have no problem eating/drinking things with raw egg in it when they've been refrigerated but for some reason leaving them on the counter and then eating them makes me think I'm going to die.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member

I've heard this for so long but I've never actually attempted it. It terrifies me to leave eggs out of the fridge. I have no problem eating/drinking things with raw egg in it when they've been refrigerated but for some reason leaving them on the counter and then eating them makes me think I'm going to die.
    I'm assuming you're American. We generally buy our eggs refrigerated and they say that once refrigerated, eggs should remain refrigerated.

Raw eggs, though, do not require it. I promise. Most of the world doesn't bother.

If I'm making something that will sit out and not be refrigerated, I will use pasteurized eggs and I do keep those in the fridge. :)
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member

I'm assuming you're American. We generally buy our eggs refrigerated and they say that once refrigerated, eggs should remain refrigerated.

Raw eggs, though, do not require it. I promise. Most of the world doesn't bother.

If I'm making something that will sit out and not be refrigerated, I will use pasteurized eggs and I do keep those in the fridge. :)

You are correct I'm American. I do usually buy refrigerated pasteurized eggs. Although we do get fresh eggs once in awhile from my wife's sister who has chickens. We usually refrigerate those too. I guess we don't have to though :)
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member

Yes we did...to try and combat the horrible, inhumane conditions at conventional dairy farms while covering their a$$es.

Or to prevent horrible disease and as a necessary evil for milk to be able to be shipped great distances from farms while supplying a safe to use product.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    I've had it a few times from my friend's parents' dairy farm. Best milk I've ever had.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    I make my own nursing mama, hahahahaha!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    An alternative "natural" way to preserve the milk is to sour it with friendly bacteria and yeasts. We have the yogurts and kefir. But I am pretty sure here in North America the milk is pasteurized before being seeded with friendly bacteria.

I don't think I have ever knowingly drunk raw milk. My son in law, who comes from an African tribe where milk is regularly consumed, had a great deal of difficulty accepting the milk as we deliver it here. It was ingrained in him that soured milk is the only safe milk to drink.

kings-palace-milk-hut.jpg?w=396&h=596&crop=1

The large gourd is for making butter. The largest container is for storing milk, and the remaining four jugs in descending order were for adults, children and babies.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    An alternative "natural" way to preserve the milk is to sour it with friendly bacteria and yeasts. We have the yogurts and kefir. But I am pretty sure here in North America the milk is pasteurized before being seeded with friendly bacteria.

I don't think I have ever knowingly drunk raw milk. My son in law, who comes from an African tribe where milk is regularly consumed, had a great deal of difficulty accepting the milk as we deliver it here. It was ingrained in him that soured milk is the only safe milk to drink.

kings-palace-milk-hut.jpg?w=396&h=596&crop=1

The large gourd is for making butter. The largest container is for storing milk, and the remaining four jugs in descending order were for adults, children and babies.

Which tribe? That's pretty cool how do they use that big gourd. I wonder if the reasoning for the differing size jugs was possibly another innate way to control harmful and beneficial bacteria. Sorry tangent that's just really neat.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member

You are correct I'm American. I do usually buy refrigerated pasteurized eggs. Although we do get fresh eggs once in awhile from my wife's sister who has chickens. We usually refrigerate those too. I guess we don't have to though :)

It's a washing process in America that makes eggs unsafe to leave unrefrigerated. Part of the shell is stripped away and it becomes more permeable to bacteria. I'm pretty sure if you refrigerate those farm eggs for a day or 2 and then take them out of the fridge and leave them on the table, they'll still be fine. Possibly, that's a little pedantic, and the "once refrigerated, keep refrigerated" maxim seems like a reasonable rule of thumb.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2015
    cow, goat and sheep we get them raw but I don't think we've ever consumed them raw. We always boil them then cool them before consuming. I had raw cow's milk every day as a child straight after milking the cows and straining it through a cloth back when my grandmother had cows.

Edit: as for eggs when we buy them local (not store bought) or when some of my mother's patients bring some as a gift they are of course unpasteurized. It doesn't matter though because we always cook them anyway as using them in applications where they could be used raw feels like a "waste". Local eggs have shells that are usually darker in color yellowish to brown, feel less "porous" than store bought eggs, and the yolk is richer and thicker than store bought. They are also a pain in the butt to peel if you have them boiled so we usually use store bought for boiled eggs.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    @ldrosophila , this is the eastern Africa tribe of the Tutsis, in Rwanda. The same tribe that suffered that terrible genocide.

Here's a fun and fashionable article on the plight of the rare Rwandan refugee.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/9/11/rwanda-runway-former-refugee-twins-fashion-week.html#