To WEIGH or NOT TO WEIGH...

Options
so here it is DAY 20 and I still haven't weighed myself. I admit I'M NERVOUS!

Replies

• cealder
    cealder Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Lost half my post. I do feel better overall. My clothes feel better, I don't feel that dreaded bloat. I've been exercising regularly. Went back to running so do I really need that number???
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Do you need it? No. It's one of many metrics you can use to measure your success.

That said, I'm a big fan of more information being more beneficial than less.

In my opinion, it should not be the ONLY metric you use (too many people fall into this trap), but it should absolutely be ONE of the metrics you use.
  • WildePillar
    WildePillar Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't think the scale number is as important as how your clothes fit or how many inches you've lost! The number can fluctuate so much, hour to hour and day to day!
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    It seems a whole lot easier to weigh oneself to detemine progress than to measure oneself all over and compare numbers.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If you don't want to get on the scale, don't do it. No, you don't need the number.

Sometimes I wish I'd never purchased a scale. I did fine and lost a ton before I bought one. I'd be all, "Cool! My clothes are too big. Gotta get smaller clothes!" Now, I'm on that thing every day. Before, it was all good and big, happy surprises with clothes and at the doctor. Now, it's daily fluctuations of downs and ups and no big happies.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    After 20 days and other signs of progress I think it's ok to weigh yourself. Fingers crossed!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Nobody needs the number. Whatever if happening with your weight is happening whether you know your weight or not. The question remains, do you want the number. And only you can answer that.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I had the same question. I ended up deciding to weigh when I started (only been 2-3 weeks) so I would have a starting number and the to weigh at the end of each month, just so I have a number to use to adjust my HRM and to calculate calories I should be eating. It's too much stress for me otherwise. I figure if I'm logging accurately and putting in the work, the results will come and I'll feel it/see it in other ways. So far, so good. I feel a ton better so that's a win in itself.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If you need/want the reassurance of a measurable to quantify progress you already know you are making based on other tangible observations, then get on the scale.

After your done "reacting" to whatever the number comes up as, I hope you realize that the only thing that is important to get from most scales is trend information, since accuracy and weight fluctuation varies widely.

For me, it was being able to walk a mile or climb 5 flights of stairs without getting winded ... being able to pull the belt a notch tighter, etc....

Whatever you do, dont get caught up in it and start weighting in 3-5 times a week or more, the bouncing around will just make you mental if you have any anxiety at all about it.
  • preeJAY
    preeJAY Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't own a scale, and go by taking photos and fit of clothing. Weightloss is not linear anyway, I don't want to endure the inevitable emotional roller-coaster.

However, when I reach what I feel to be a comfortable weight, I think I'll get one so I can see whether to continue or maintain.
  • cealder
    cealder Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Based on your suggestions AND thinking about what I'm currently feeling I think for now I will keep on measuring my success with the other things ie being able to run longer and exercising more often and my clothes feeling good and my "thinner" looking face. Maybe after a full month it may be something to consider but I see your points, it shouldn't ANY ONE SINGLE thing that measures my positive lifestyle change. Thanks everyone!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    WTG on your loss. Bag the scale, it's just a number.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The scale has been the dam-nation for sooo.....many people. Your feeling better and clothes fitting better. .... you know whre your at you are on a roll..

Congrats
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    If you can stay motivated and on track without weighing, then why bother?

The scale is filled with so much error due to water weight it's just nuts.

If you need the visual of making progress, then sure, weigh to get it. But either way very rarely, or use a trending graph so that you can see what's really happening.

Osric
  • MammyMarge
    MammyMarge Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to put too much effort and emotion into a weekly weigh-in. I ended up falling off the wagon if the number had stayed the same (or increased!) despite working hard and eating well. So with moral support, motivation and encouragement from a good friend, I've recently changed my mind-set and am now trying to eat 'clean' when possible and include occasional treats so I don't feel deprived, and am exercising regularly - training for my first 5K!! Not only do I feel less bloated, I am sleeping so much better, feel mentally less sluggish - And I feel liberated from no longer worrying about the number on my scale ☺️ I still have a long way to go but I no longer feel tied to a number and will be accountable in other ways like logging on MFP every day.

But it is all about finding what works for you. Some people swear by weighing in regularly. Why not try a monthly weigh-in?
  • AnnElizabethKate
    AnnElizabethKate Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week just to track progress if ive made any, but mostly stick to how i look and fedl in clothes, and measurements which i also do when i weigh in weekly.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    just do it, you know you wanna lol
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Don't fear the scales.

You feel better, your clothes feel better - these are what we call 'non scale victories'. You've made fantastic progress. The number on the scale is just a factor but one I do recommend facing. It's good to visibly keep track of progress and I think as you're starting out, seeing that smaller figure can do a lot for your confidence and motivation!
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I only get weighed at my doctors office when I go every 2-4 weeks to see my supervising dietician. It's much more fun to /feel/ the weight coming off with clothes fit, but the number is of some interest to me to mark my progress. But it definitely doesn't have to be for you! :) if you're happy as is, no worries :D