Do you guys eat the same thing everyday?

Options
Hollirot
Hollirot Posts: 92 Member
I'm always going over on my food because I just eat whatever, log it afterwards & I'm like "Whoa! That was a hell of a lot of calories!"

Do any of you guys eat practically the same thing everyday to insure that you eat well? I wish food wasn't so delicious. I think it would be easier to eat the same thing everyday, even if it got boring after a while. I guess you could put together a couple different menus & switch it up?

Ugh. I'm so irritated with food right now. :noway:

Replies

• sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Most the time I try to make one meal oatmeal because it keeps me full longer and its really healthy. Other than that I try to be healthy but have variety.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Pretty much. Chicken and veggies for lunch, cereal and oatmeal before bed. Just check my diary.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Nope! But I tend to look food up before I consume it if I don't have any clue how many calories are in it.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    My breakfast is almost always oatmeal -- and during the school year, I eat a lot of small chef salads for lunch, as our cooks there do a great job of preparing them healthily.
    Other than that, though, I try to vary my meals, especially when my daughter is home from college. We are both trying to maintain/lose weight, so we try to eat more healthy when we can. The last couple of weeks have been tough because we haven't been home much, so we've been eating out a lot.
    Kaye
  • mrsfeuer
    mrsfeuer Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I take low calorie items and whip up random low calorie meals with those items. There are meals I make a lot bc they are easy and quick but I try to add in variety as I go.
  • Jofan94
    Jofan94 Posts: 1
    Options
    It is kind of difficult to know what to eat. I eat the same things pretty often, but you dont have to. I suggest looking at the nutrition facts for your food before you eat anything, that way you can decide whether or not to eat that. This way you can get variety in your diet and not go over your calories and stuff :)
  • maple2011
    maple2011 Posts: 3
    Options
    I hate eating the same thing every day but it's really the only way I can ensure I don't cheat. I reckon there are people out there who have the time to really research and cook up different healthy recipes but unfortunately with my very busy work schedule and long commute to work I don't have time to do that :0(

I stock my pantry and fridge with the same type of food which I know are in my calorie intake for the day - getting into the habit of knowing what I'm going to eat makes it easy to stick with it. Every once in a while I change it up though. For example, one week chicken the next veggie patty, et.
  • SaddyPants
    SaddyPants Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of eating mostly the same stuff every day. I think I have always been this way because I did it when I was heavier, too.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Not EXACTLY the same, but the same as far as portions. Breakfast is usually 1/4 cup dry oatmeal with cinnamon and flaxseed and blueberries and then 3 eggwhites + 1 whole egg scrambled with veggies and I vary the veggies. Lunch is 1/2 cup cooked brown rice and then whatever meat is leftover from the night before + a low sodium v-8 and another veggie. Snack is a protein bar and dinner varies, but I usually don't have carbs at night. I have found that I HAVE to plan ahead in order to be successful. Otherwise, it becomes a "eat whatever" day. THAT rarely ends well...
  • heathhumble
    heathhumble Posts: 178
    Options
    I would have to say yes!:happy:
  • Melinda1987
    Melinda1987 Posts: 130
    Options
    I am never surprised by how many calories are in something I prepare at home because I take AGES to shop as I read every single label & compare things. However if I happen to eat out I can be HORRIFIED when logging food later! :noway:

I do tend to eat some things the same just because I love them. But can only eat the same thing for a few months b4 I MUST have variety! Like I used to have eggs & toast for breakfast every day ('cause I'm diabetic and my nutritionists have always recommended protein for breakfast - especially eggs). After 2-3 months I got sick of that and switched to oatmeal. Which I change up just a little by sometimes using honey, sometimes brown sugar. Sometimes add almonds and/or blueberries. There's enough variety there to not make it boring. Same thing with lunch, supper & snacks. There are certain things that I just love and tend to buy a lot - but I keep rotating them in & out every month or so.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Nope! But I tend to look food up before I consume it if I don't have any clue how many calories are in it.

That. Which is why I LOVE my Droid. If I'm out and thinking of having something, I can look it up real quick and decide if I can work it in.
  • kysassyblonde1
    Options
    I think having the phone app is very helpful, If I am not home I can use that app and help me to make better decisions!!!! Do seem to eat alot of the same over and over though!!!!
  • OliveLucas
    OliveLucas Posts: 84
    Options
    eat the same thing everyday for breakfast
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the same couple of things...just rotate the meals, especially for breakfast and snacks
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My diet is very consistent, simple and boring. No fun, but easy for me to control.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I usually only eat about 2 or 3 different things for breakfast and lunch Monday to Friday so I know pretty much what calories/food groups are going to be consumed in advance. Supper I have different things all the time and I experiement a little at the weekends when I have more time to figure everything out!
  • Hollirot
    Hollirot Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Like for dinner I had grilled chicken, mashed potatoes & a TON of veggies. Seems healthy, right? But it still came out to over six hundred calories. Even when I try to make things at home & have them be healthy, I feel like I'm failing. :sad:
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat a lot of the same things; I just move them around and add different (low fat/low cal) condiments to spice them up. I find that I have about 4 staples for breakfast that I rotate through. It's also helpful to have stuff prepped the day before or frozen so that you can put meals together quickly and easily.

If you find that you're going over daily and very surprised by what you're eating/the calorie amount, why don't you try to plan out a few days ahead of time? Even if you don't end up eating exactly what you've planned, it will give you an idea as to how much you can eat and still remain within your caloric goal. Another thing I've started doing is that any time friends make plans to go out, I try to look up the restaurant we're going to ahead of time, see what's healthy on the menu. That way once I'm there, I already know what is a good choice vs unhealthy choice, and it makes it easier to avoid temptation if you see the numbers and have the knowledge.

Finally, try putting together a few days by breaking down your calories into meals. For instance, if you're eating 1300 cals/day, breakfast would be 350, lunch would be 350, dinner would be 350, and then you've got 250 to either tack onto a couple of meals, or spread out as a few snacks. You'd be amazed by how MUCH you can actually eat if you choose dense, low calorie whole foods like veggies and fruits, stay away from processed carbs, and choose lean sources of protein (chicken, fish, greek yogurt, eggs, beans, tofu)...

you'll get the hang of it girl, just keep up the great work! :)
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I have like two meals I chose from for breakfast, 2 for lunch and 2 for dinner. I have 4 varieties of snacks I chose 2 from daily. I'm a person that I really don't need a huge change to keep me satisfied. The food I cook just has to be yummy. Since I'm trying to keep my sodium under 1500 most days I have to be very careful of what I consume.