Looking for friends let's play "answer one, ask one"

Options

Replies

• OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    That seems almost like a humanist approach - I like it though. And I respect that you're not afraid to share your beliefs.

Unless they gave me a reason not to trust them, of course I would. I try to get to know people before I judge them.

Do you relate to any religious teachings, that are not specifically linked to belief in God, for example treating others how they would like to be treated?

I definitely consider myself a student of religion - the subject and various mythologies fascinate me in respect to how humanity has grown in relation to them. I have read the bible cover to cover a few times, as well as the book of Mormon and the Quran once. I also think it's important that I know what I'm talking about before I dismiss them as mythology.

Regarding humanism VS atheism, I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I'd definitely consider myself a humanist or egalitarian.

Regarding the practical lessons to be gleaned from them - there are definitely some sound principles there. It would behoove the species to have a common set of morals, as well as to not, for example, go around raping and murdering.

of course

what about extraterrestrial life. Do you believe in that?

I think to refuse the possibility would be a pretty shortsighted approach. The universe is vast beyond comprehension. It actually seems far more likely that there's tons of life out there than just us.
  • ManyouknowIsurecantstay
    Options
    @OneHundredToLose I really respect that.

Were you raised in a religious family? And if so, how did that affect your beliefs?
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options
    My family definitely believes in god, but there weren't like strict religious overtones. My mom is Catholic but had a bad experience in Catholic school as a kid so she didn't push religion on us. I am definitely grateful for that, because it allowed me to become a free thinker and analyze my beliefs on my own.

How do you feel about raising kids religiously VS letting them decide for themselves?
    ManyouknowIsurecantstay Posts: 862 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hmm, that's an interesting question. I think religion can be a good guide for children, for example teachings such as treating others how you'd like to be treated, as I mentioned earlier. However, I do not think being a religious person equates to being a good person, and that you can teach your children good moral values, without raising them religiously. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to raise your children religiously, however I think indoctrinating them is wrong, as ultimately it is their decision.

Do beliefs, whether religious or not, matter to you in a potential partner?
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options
    Hmm, that's an interesting question. I think religion can be a good guide for children, for example teachings such as treating others how you'd like to be treated, as I mentioned earlier. However, I do not think being a religious person equates to being a good person, and that you can teach your children good moral values, without raising them religiously. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to raise your children religiously, however I think indoctrinating them is wrong, as ultimately it is their decision.

Do beliefs, whether religious or not, matter to you in a potential partner?

They might if the person was completely inflexible. I don't think I could ever get along with a religious fundamentalist, for example. Luckily, my fiancee is very open-minded and accepting. I'd describe her as a Deist - she definitely believes that there is something greater than us out there, but I don't think she believes in a specific god or gods. We've discussed religion at great length, and she actually agrees with me on most things. I just have gone the extra step to shed religion altogether since I don't think it would necessarily improve my life specifically to believe it.

Do you think you identify better with the religious or the secular?
    edited September 2015
    Options
    That's a tough question for me, as I think, still being in my teens, I'm just starting to come into my beliefs, if that makes sense? I would say that I relate to what you said about your fiancee, in that I do think there is something greater than us. I think out of the two, probably more religion, though I do identify with the secular. However, I feel this could change in the future, as I'm still on the path into finding what my beliefs are.

Have you ever questioned your beliefs?
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options
    I constantly question my beliefs. I think it's important to change your opinions based on facts - not your facts based on opinions. Part of being an atheist is that I realize I could be wrong, though I personally feel that my beliefs - or lack thereof - are in line with the evidence we have at hand. If evidence came to light to disprove my opinions, however, I'd accept that I was wrong and move on.

Do you think it's important to take things like the bible with a grain of salt, based on their age?
    Options
    Most definitely. Times have changed since it was written, for instance it was written during the time where society was a patriarchal one, and this reflects on some of its teachings, for instance "...and the head of the woman [is] the man..." (Corinthians). As society is (largely) no longer patriarchal, I think it's bordering on ignorant not to take teachings, such as this one, with a grain of salt.

Moving towards philosophy now, do you believe yourself to have more of an absolutist, or relativist approach to moral decisions?
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options
    Most definitely. Times have changed since it was written, for instance it was written during the time where society was a patriarchal one, and this reflects on some of its teachings, for instance "...and the head of the woman [is] the man..." (Corinthians). As society is (largely) no longer patriarchal, I think it's bordering on ignorant not to take teachings, such as this one, with a grain of salt.

Moving towards philosophy now, do you believe yourself to have more of an absolutist, or relativist approach to moral decisions?

I'm definitely a moral relativist. Morals are important, but so is context. For instance, I wouldn't steal normally, but I'd definitely steal to provide for the people I love if there was no other choice. I think that morals are an important guideline, but I don't think that morals are absolute or divinely inspired.

Sticking with philosophy, do you think we can ever be sure of what we're actually experiencing?

edited September 2015
    Options
    That's a question I've been asking myself lately, and I haven't completely found my standpoint yet, but currently my thoughts are that because of perception, we can never be completely sure of what we're experiencing. For instance, people interpret colours in different ways, so what we experience, may be completely different to someone else, and I think this can create uncertainty, as we may be experiencing something that isn't "really there" - but then how do we know if anything is really there? I think I need to continue to read about the topic, in order to develop a standpoint, but currently that's what I think. That wasn't as eloquent as I would have liked; I hope I answered your question there.

Do you think there are any universal truths?
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options
    That's tough. There are universal truths in that a hydrogen atom always has exactly one electron, in that when water reaches 212 degrees F it will boil, etc. However, I don't believe in universal truths in the sense of something like "people are inherently good" or "time always flows forward". I try to avoid absolutes whenever I can.

Do you believe there is merit to the multiverse theory?
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,835 Member
    Options
    I'm just on here for the Fun! :lol:

What was your College Major?

• OneHundredToLose
    Options
    I didn't go to college. I'm a self-taught website developer.

Don't you think deep conversations can be fun?
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @OneHundredToLose I know a little about the basic concept of the multiverse theory, but I don't feel qualified enough to comment on its merits.

So, I'll throw your question back at you in the hope of learning something.

@FabulousFantasticFifty I haven't been to college yet, but I'm thinking about studying either philosophy, English, music, or a combination of all three.

@OneHundredToLose Deep conversations are my favourite type

@yuvabody Erm...
  • ChattyPete
    ChattyPete Posts: 70 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    No

Ever had a one night stand?
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options
    @OneHundredToLose I know a little about the basic concept of the multiverse theory, but I don't feel qualified enough to comment on its merits.

So, I'll throw your question back at you in the hope of learning something.

@FabulousFantasticFifty I haven't been to college yet, but I'm thinking about studying either philosophy, English, music, or a combination of all three.

@OneHundredToLose Deep conversations are my favourite type

@yuvabody Erm...

Heh, personally my mind can't really encapsulate the concept of multiple universes, but I think there's merit to the theory, and it would certainly be cool if it turned out to be true.

Do you think we should move onto lighter topics for the sake of the others reading this thread?
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    Options
    Nope

have you ever had a married person hit on you?
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    Yes

HYE "made whoopie" on any form of public transportation?
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    Options
    No :open_mouth:

Mile High Club??? ;)