Help.people who lost10 kg-20 lbs.

Options
Amillionsparkles
Amillionsparkles Posts: 41 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey everyone,

If anyone lost 20 lbs, how much time did it take you to achieve that, or what is a reasonable time frame to expect that?
I have hypothyroidism so i am not sure what pace i should be expecting. I am aiming for 1300 calories per day (sometimes i go a bit higher but i am trying).
Thank you.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    6 months

Actually 20 years because I didn't realize how important CICO was.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much total you have to lose, a pound a week is a good starting rule of thumb.

If 20lbs is all you have to lose, probably a bit slower than that.

If you have a lot more than that to lose and 20 lbs is just an initial goal, you can probably be slightly more aggressive.
  • Amillionsparkles
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Depending on how much total you have to lose, a pound a week is a good starting rule of thumb.

If you have a lot more than that to lose and 20 lbs is just an initial goal, you can probably be slightly more aggressive.

Thank you for your response, well my ultimate goal and what i would see as perfect is 33 lbs but 20 lbs is really great!
    So i should aim for 1 pound a week?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Thank you for your response, well my ultimate goal and what i would see as perfect is 33 lbs but 20 lbs is really great!

I think that's a reasonable goal.

I would caution though - A common mistake I see is getting too wrapped up in meeting that goal exactly each and every week. Make that a goal, but focus on meeting it over a long term trend (ie - rather than trying to lose a lb each and every week, focus on 10 lbs in 10 weeks as an example). There are too many variables to guarantee the scale will move exactly in sync with your expectations from week-to-week. However, if you're doing things right, those fluctuations will average out over a longer term window.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    The first 10kg took me about 5.5 weeks, but my BMI was 52. I was pretty big.

These days that would probably take me 3.5-4 months.
  • RiseHigher
    RiseHigher Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    1 lb a week, or less if you workout a ton.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I lost 20lb in ~9 weeks. However, I was also 220lb 5'11" guy and should get down to at least 175lb.

Now, how fast you should be losing is completely dependent on you. We can't estimate it because you didn't provide stats. But if CO=1800, then if you eat 1300 you should lose 1lb/week, which is probably fine for now. If your CO is 1550, then you should lose 0.5lb/week, which is also fine. You shouldn't really eat less than 1300 calories/day as that already is a very low amount.
  • Amillionsparkles
    Options

I think that's a reasonable goal.

I would caution though - A common mistake I see is getting too wrapped up in meeting that goal exactly each and every week. Make that a goal, but focus on meeting it over a long term trend (ie - rather than trying to lose a lb each and every week, focus on 10 lbs in 10 weeks as an example). There are too many variables to guarantee the scale will move exactly in sync with your expectations from week-to-week. However, if you're doing things right, those fluctuations will average out over a longer term window.

That is so true! sometimes if i don't see a weekly goal i could easily stop feeling as motivated.
    thanks a lot. now i need to find a scale as i hated using one.
  • Amillionsparkles
    Options
    My bmi is in the slightly overweight range so i need to get it down to a good one.Well 3-4 months makes sense. thank you all :)
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options

I think that's why it took me almost 10 years to really get there (fluctuated the first 4-5 years and finally started to lose the last 3 kg at the 6th year). And also, it's harder for me to see that last few kgs going down as smooth/fast with the same routine when my weight was closer to my goal.
  • Viylette
    Viylette Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It took me 53 days to lose 20 pounds. But, please do not take my loss as an average. I went from eating fast food and drinking a 2 liter coke everyday, to drinking only water and eating salads and chicken. And exercising none, to basically exercising everyday for the past 2 months. But, I am an all of nothing type of girl. But, you can do anything you set your mind too, if it is what you really want.
  • Amillionsparkles
    Options

I think that's why it took me almost 10 years to really get there (fluctuated the first 4-5 years and finally started to lose the last 3 kg at the 6th year). And also, it's harder for me to see that last few kgs going down as smooth/fast with the same routine when my weight was closer to my goal.

Yes it's the slimmer you are the more effort you would have to do to lose weight. goodluck :)
  • Amillionsparkles
    Options
    Viylette wrote: »
    It took me 53 days to lose 20 pounds. But, please do not take my loss as an average. I went from eating fast food and drinking a 2 liter coke everyday, to drinking only water and eating salads and chicken. And exercising none, to basically exercising everyday for the past 2 months. But, I am an all of nothing type of girl. But, you can do anything you set your mind too, if it is what you really want.
    20 pounds that fast!! I doubt i can be that strict. Really good for you! :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    1 year ...but that's cos my deficit was small - I enjoy eating too much lol

For me taking it off slowly meant it would likely stay off ..and it has, two years and counting :smiley:
  • BlessedOne2019
    BlessedOne2019 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It has taken me about 4 and a half months to take off 26 lbs. I also workout at least 5 days a week, and have quite a bit to lose. But as stated in previous posts, slowly and gradually, ensures that you have control and won't put it back on when you do get to your goal! Good luck!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds in 4 months.
    I did this quite aggressively and I discovered MFP recently which helped me slow it down and breathe a little. I wouldn't recommend giving yourself a time-limit because I don't feel it's a realistic and fair thing to do (for yourself). Ease the pressure, eat at a deficit and just take one pound at a time :]
  • smontes16
    smontes16 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hello! I currently suffer from low thyroid and I am taking a small dose of levothuroxine. With that being said it has taken me 135 days to loose 18.8 lbs. Slow and steady :)
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I lost 32lbs in about 5 months. My current weight is 188 though. So i had enough to lose.
  • Koorii
    Koorii Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 310.6 pounds. My known starting weight (I was dieting for several months before I started keeping track) was 341. I started keeping track in February, so I've lost roughly 30 pounds in a seven month period. Keep in mind that I haven't been super strict about it either. I've tried the super strict path, and I would end up running myself ragged and eventually give up.

Also, I've been lifting at the gym, so a majority of what I've lost has been fat. I've only lost 30 pounds, but people swear that I've lost like 50 or so, and say that I look like a new man.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Looking back over my weight loss...it looks like I lost 20 lbs over 6 months. I think it really depends on your starting weight and where you are in your weight loss journey. Initially I lost weight quickly (water weight change based on a huge change in my eating habits and activity levels)..the last few lbs nearing your goal are always going to take longer to lose...