Is there a list of ideal Micronutrient Goals for Type 2 Diabetic?

Options
Folks, I introduced myself back in January 2015 when I discovered that my Garmin VivoSmart could integrate with MyFitnessPal and, not long after that, my health took a nose dive and I uncontrollably lost 25 lbs before being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.

So, the doctor put me on Metformin, and then later, changed it to Janumet (sitagliptin/metformin HCl) and sent me to a Diabetic Clinic for two, 2 hour, training sessions where I got a blood sugar monitor and was shown how to use it.
I was doing great and gained a couple of lbs back and was exercising and got crazy with a Paleo-like diet and then I slowly tapered off the regiment during the summer, drank to much beer and now I'm back to 275 lbs.

I want to get back on the wagon and live healthy but one thing I can tell you is that all of the Diabetic Cook Books, websites, etc are so conflicting and doesn't address things like Hypertension (which I have) and High Cholesterol - meaning, there seems to be no cap on sodium and increase in micronutrients needed to lower cholesterol.

So, what would be awesome is, if someone with similar symptoms to mine, could share what there "Micronutrient Goals" look like for MyFitnessPal.

My current Micronutrient Goals are:
Saturated Fat 24 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 10 g
Monounsaturated Fat 10 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 300 mg
Sodium 1800 mg
Potassium 3500 mg
Fiber 38 g
Sugar 83 g
Vitamin A 100 %DV
Vitamin C 100 %DV
Calcium 100 %DV
Iron 100 %DV

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure the micronutrient goals would be different for a diabetic than for a non-diabetic, unless perhaps you also have kidney disease. Sodium RDA is lower for those with HTN, I think.

I would suggest asking your doctor for a referral to dietician who can offer advice tailored to your specific needs.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You've really answered your own question. Limit the amount of beer. Low end of sodium-avg is 2300 per day. Don't get caught up in all the micros. Your bigger challenge is calorie control. Once you get that handled then tweak your macros and micros.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Recommended sodium intake for people with hypertension is less than 1500 mg. per day per the Dietary Guidelines for Americans - 2010: cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/dietary_guidelines_for_americans/ExecSumm.pdf

That is for both men and women.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I've read additional Magnesium and Chromium above the RDA, but I dont know recommendations or even if there is actual research to support.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Micronutrient goals are no different for diabetics than non-diabetics. They vary from person to person regardless of blood sugar issues.

Dietary cholesterol has very little effect on serum cholesterol

Lowering your sodium can definitely help with hypertension.

Regarding your macronutrients: what recommendations did you receive as far as the amount of carbs to eat?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Most of the micros (C, A, calcium, iron, potassium) will be covered by the leafy green green and other veggies that you will be eating.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Typically the conventional wisdom is to limit saturated fats to <10% of energy so taking an arbitrary 1800 calorie intake that would be 20 grams of sat fat. If fats in total were 30% of calories then you would have 40 grams of unsaturateds to play with so I'm a bit confused by your fat split @netcerebral
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    You're getting lost in the details. Keep your carbs under control and stay within your calorie goal. Meter often to make sure your bgl is in range.
  • sarahmilner714
    sarahmilner714 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this would help but it is a good forum with great advice @netcerebral

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/
  • Coolhandkid
    Coolhandkid Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You are getting lots of advice from people with no glucose problems. Search out people with your issues and get specifics. Carbs and fiber should be your primary concerns. When you have multiple hot spots (carbs/sodium) it gets really problematic to eat anything you would want to. Beer and alcohol are borderline disastrous for diabetics. Exercise, and not only minimizing carbs but also balancing them throughout the day is the basic course of treatment. But finding fun food with no carbs and no sodium is going to be a task.

In addition to limiting your sodium you should also be eating as much potassium as possible to help with your hypertension. And make sure you are getting a fair amount of fiber to help create a glucose baseline.

Normally those are the two toughest micros for me to hit so Good luck!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I think you are focusing too much on detail and missing the big picture. I would start with a traditional diabetics diet plan that also includes weight loss. You can just google it, and I bet the diabetes clinic can also give you guidelines. I would focus on limiting carbs per meal, and limiting overall calories for now, which would both help with diabetes, limit saturated fats (not overall fats) and sodium to further help with hypertension and high cholesterol, increasing fiber intake and add physical activity to help with all the above. I think you need to focus on making changes you can live with for life.
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat more than 45g of carbs at each meal. Change your bread to the most hippy type you can find with lots of seeds and whole grains ..rye bread is good (high fibre, high protein) eat protein and a source of healthy fat with bread or carbs in general..I eat the lower glycemic load fruits and eat a ton of veggies...I eat avocados, olive oil, nuts..keep it super healthy and your body will reward you. The easiest way if you are struggling is use the plate method...1/2 plate with green and coloured veggies, 1/4 plate protein and 1/4 plate healthy grains and starches...I track every single thing I eat and one thing my doctor told me is that it's more important to eat healthy than be all caught up in the micronutrients etc...he also said that everyone should be eating like us which made me feel so much better!!! Best wishes to you!!! You can do it. I was diagnosed April 30 and I have lost now just a few ounces shy of 40 lbs. I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol and high blood sugar. My HgA1C is now 5.8 and due for another in a few weeks. All the rest of my tests are normal now too and BP is "optimal" I want to live to see my grandchildren grow up...it's very motivating if you look at it that way..I walk average 11,000 steps a day and only started with 10 minutes at the start..my reason to tell you all this is to say I just know you can do it!!!!! Walking really helps with BS control too!! Have a great day and hope that helps you a little!!
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Eat to your meter. This is most important.

Test before you eat, and hour after, and then maybe an hour after that.
    You can see yourself what foods spike your BG the most or the longest...then reduce or dump those foods.
    For me, 50g carbs a day helped with losing weight. Some people can lose with more.

I also made sure my calories were not too high, but carbs were my biggest concern.
    Lowering carbs made my blood glucose normal (fasting, in the 70's and 80's) and naturally helped me lose weight as I was producing less insulin that wanted to store energy as fat....which is one of things insulin does.
    I am currently eating less than 20g carbs a day, no meds.

My lipids were OK before I went low carb, with only the HDL (good cholesterol) too low
    Tested them 1 year after low carb. Triglycerides went down, LDL stayed the same and HDL went up to a good level.
    HDL being not too low is a better indicator of health than LDL levels.

Only you can see what works for you. If you get blood work done regularly (which it appears you are), you can see for yourself if this works. Don't worry about people saying you have to have carbs. Your body can make glucose from protein for any cells that require it. It is called gluconeogenesis.

If you look up keto or LCHF (low carb high fat) you will find resources and studies