Portions/size/weight help.

Options
I'm needing some help with portion sizing. I haven't been able to invest in a digital scale yet and I just feel like the reading I'm getting with the other one is the accurate. I'm going to try to post an image if I can figure it out from my phone app. Stand by..

Replies

• ShelliesTrying
    ShelliesTrying Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Does this look like 4oz of chicken?

7s4oc19edgn2.jpg
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Not that a styrofoam plate is going to make a huge difference, but did you set the scale to zero after you put the plate on it? There's usually a dial somewhere you can turn.
  • MissElectricEyeliner
    Options
    Best to weigh the meat before you cook it.
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It can be weighed raw or cooked, just make sure you select a cooked chicken breast entry. And just to eyeball i'd say that's 4oz or very very close.
  • JeffArmstrong112
    JeffArmstrong112 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes, that looks like about 4 ounces of chicken. 4 ounces is slightly smaller than the fist of an average persons hand, 3 oz is about the palm of your hand.

Here is a nifty little chart to help:

http://www.gardenstatenutritionandwellness.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/hand-portion-sizes.jpg
  • ShelliesTrying
    Options
    I did set it to zero, yes. And I just felt like that was an awful lot of chicken to be 4oz. Thanks guys.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I did set it to zero, yes. And I just felt like that was an awful lot of chicken to be 4oz. Thanks guys.

I'm always surprised at chicken and seafood when I weigh a portion.
  • ShelliesTrying
    Options
    I got a jump start so to speak with weight lose due to a life change we'll say so I'm trying to come back in right. I have kicked the sugar addiction and eat little to no junk food. I am reevaluating the way we eat and trying to cooking styles and recipes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    People often think of meat size in terms of raw weight, and cooked weight is less. 4 oz of cooked chicken would have been more raw. Just make sure to use a cooked entry when logging.