Feeling bad about taking a day off...

Options
iAMaPhoenix
iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
Man, I got the "I took a day off Blues". Did not do any exercise today, and felt a little down about it,until I weighed myself and saw I am holding. My point is we all need to take days away from the gym, and feel good about it. Lest we forget, the race is not given to the swift, but he who endureth to the BMI of 25...So I paraphrased a little. Back to the gym in the morning at 5am. Gotta beat the old lady to get my favorite treadmill...lol.

Replies

• NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Well said. Our bodies need rest as well as movement.
    As long as one day doesn't turn into forever, it's all good.
    Thanks for sharing!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I try and not feel guilty about taking a day off. But, I've been on a weight loss upswing and I hate to stop and risk it stopping. But, I also know that my body needs time to rest and relax - especially since I've been dealing with a bulging disc in my spine since January.

Don't feel guilty. Enjoy the rest time and know your body is thanking you. :)
  • MZNIKKIBOO
    MZNIKKIBOO Posts: 190
    Options
    GREAT WAY TO THINK!
  • reegordon
    reegordon Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I agree. Sunday is my planned day off out of the week but I haven'y actually taken it off in a while. I attempted to last sunday but ended up working out late that night, lol. I was about to hit the treadmill but this post makes me feel better. Thanks for posting!!!!!
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    My rest day was interrupted by an offer to go hiking, I think I'll really be enjoying my next one.
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I so want to think like that....
    But it's hard to want to rest when I know I have the energy to do it..... Forcing myself to rest when I have energy to do it is awkward.... lol
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs a day off. I've allowed myself a few as well. We all need it, and I think it helps our bodies regroup and get prepared to let go of the weight. Shaking things up in either direction is not a bad thing. Last week I had a couple of days where my net calories were under 1000. I wouldn't recommend it long term, but I had good weight loss last week. If we keep our body guessing we get better results, I've found.
  • leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I've gone 23 days in a row and finally took a day off today. I figured, "I have the energy and I'm not sore, so I should just keep going!" and 5 days turned into 23. But even the day off today turned into doing some dumbbell work at home. It's very easy to become obsessed.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Yep, MFP is purely mechanical (eat x amount of calories and and create x amount of deficit). MFP does not know when you need a rest day or if your body is craving some extra protein or carbs or whatever.

Nothing to be guilty about.
  • hittlebit
    hittlebit Posts: 7
    Options
    I attempted to take a day off today as well, BUT I'm new enough at this that I decided I can't afford to take a day off at this time and wound up talking my self into walking for an hour...in the heat!
    Enjoy the time to let your bod rest-I'll be glad when I get to a point where I feel like I can have a day of rest.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    This was a pretty relaxed weekend for me. I did some exercise, but not nearly as much as I have been doing! But I don't feel guilty about it because I know my body needed a little break.

I started the 30 Day Shred last week and did 3 days while being sick. I don't know if it made it worse, but this weekend I felt really tired and felt like my sickness was reaching its peak. I took 3 days off from the Shred and plan to start back up tomorrow. I've had 3 days of rest which I think should be enough for my body to fight off the sickness! :smile: Sometimes you have to listen to your body and not over exert yourself.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with taking a day off once and awhile. Our bodies need to recover. Just so it doesn't become a habit of missing a day here, missing a day there.
  • thevickster
    Options
    I agree.....first off, congrats at your current weight loss. Great Job! I just started and I started too strong.....hurt myself running and now I'm realizing that I need a day off from exercising...I was literally doing cardio everyday....but I was reading many posts where people sai to take it slow at first, don't drastically change your eating habits and excercise. I now see why.....Thanks for the inspiration.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty at all. I have 2 scheduled days off a week (weds and Sunday). Mostly because the community center/gym is closed on those days but also because I push my body hard 5 days a week and it needs to recover and heal.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I believe in giving my body rests days. I take 1-2 days a week off. Exercising is good, but I have other life things that I need to do as well.