Argh! misleading nutrition labels

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's funny since the old serving sizes are mandated by law for the most part too, based on the amount that's supposedly proper to eat. I get the argument for both, although by bottle for a drink is clearer especially if someone reads it carelessly.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Pop tarts are my nemesis. I even knew when I bought them that a serving is one pop tart and has 200 calories, but who the hell eats one pop tart, and why must they package them in pairs in a non-resealable sleeve?

NSV: I actually had one pop tart with my coffee today. The other is still at home in a ziplock bag.

r3rcw.jpg
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I don't understand why everyone throws such a fit over a can of soup being listed at having two servings. Growing up, my family always split a can of soup between at least two people. Sometimes three. I still always split a can with someone else when I eat soup.

That said, we always had something with the soup, like a salad or half sandwich or something. My parents always said that a can of soup had too much sodium for one person, so it was better if you shared it with someone else and ate something less salty with it. Maybe everyone else is just only eating soup, and nothing else? I don't know. This argument just confuses me.

Edit: Same deal with poptarts. Growing up in my famil, you were a pig if you are both poptarts in the foil pack. We always ate one and either gave the other to someone else or put it in a sandwich bag for later.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I still always split a can with someone else when I eat soup.

Am I the only one who just pictured someone hanging out with a friend in the club like "hey girl...wanna split a can of soup?"

• abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve with serving sizes is with cereal. It drives me up the wall that every cereal is basically 3/4 cup serving size. It's a ridiculous expectation.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    that's not misleading...they say 2 servings on the label...you just need to learn to read nutritional labels and pay attention.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve with serving sizes is with cereal. It drives me up the wall that every cereal is basically 3/4 cup serving size. It's a ridiculous expectation.

I don't care for cold cereal, but oatmeal is like 44 g dry, and that seems perfect for me. I also find the serving sizes for pasta and rice quite reasonable.

The problem with listing larger sizes because the US has proportion distortion and people eat too much on average (given the total calories consumed on average), is that people who read labels get their idea of what is a normal serving in part from what is listed. That's why the current situation has federal regs governing how big a serving that is listed can be based on what's supposed to be a normal serving.

I don't think it's too hard for people to see how many servings are in a container. I've always checked that when I was bothering to read labels.

I do think it's misleading if a sandwich or cookie is sold as "2 servings," but I haven't seen that and I suspect restaurants aren't permitted to do that. (Pret does sell their dressings in 2 serving packets, which is annoying, but not as annoying as wasting the calories on those dressings to start.)
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    Come on America, join the metric world, you can do it.

I love metric, but it'll take me a while to get used to telling people that 14,651 kJ = 1 pound of fat.

Osric
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

bu6f30xyngwc.gif

I love metric, but it'll take me a while to get used to telling people that 14,651 kJ = 1 pound of fat.

Osric

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I've been buying a prepared manicotti from Costco. According to the label, there are 7 servings in the package. There are 5 manicotti in the package. I guess I'm supposed to eat 5/7 of a manicotti and serve someone else the stubs.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why everyone throws such a fit over a can of soup being listed at having two servings. Growing up, my family always split a can of soup between at least two people. Sometimes three. I still always split a can with someone else when I eat soup.

That said, we always had something with the soup, like a salad or half sandwich or something. My parents always said that a can of soup had too much sodium for one person, so it was better if you shared it with someone else and ate something less salty with it. Maybe everyone else is just only eating soup, and nothing else? I don't know. This argument just confuses me.

Edit: Same deal with poptarts. Growing up in my famil, you were a pig if you are both poptarts in the foil pack. We always ate one and either gave the other to someone else or put it in a sandwich bag for later.

But what did you eat WITH the pop tart?

• sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I've been buying a prepared manicotti from Costco. According to the label, there are 7 servings in the package. There are 5 manicotti in the package. I guess I'm supposed to eat 5/7 of a manicotti and serve someone else the stubs.
    LOL poor poor manicotti.... such a picture in my head, Hey who left me the stubs again?!?
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

And now all of the "fair division" things I had to learn in math come into play... Ha!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I don't know what happened to corn since the usda first determined an ear of corn was 90 grams. Any ear of corn I've weighed is at least 2.5-3 times that. Kind of like how bananas are always "large" or larger.... I think an update to the usda definitions/weights would be nice. Who eats just a third of a corn on the cob?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

LMAO

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I don't know what happened to corn since the usda first determined an ear of corn was 90 grams. Any ear of corn I've weighed is at least 2.5-3 times that. Kind of like how bananas are always "large" or larger.... I think an update to the usda definitions/weights would be nice. Who eats just a third of a corn on the cob?

Generally, nutrition data refers to the edible portion of the item, I thought. I wonder if that was really meant to be the entire cob, or just the corn on it?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I made a brownie package once. The listed serving size was 1/88th of a package. Made absolutely no sense to me then, but today I might just look by weight
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options

Feed the stubs to the homeless
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Or those Trader Joe's wraps that have 2 servings. Almost bought one until I realized that... ugh.

Or those waffles I love that not only state 8 servings in a package (4 waffles), but when you weigh them, each waffle is close to 3 servings. It's lovely how your 140 calories waffle turns into a 340 calories waffle.

So yeah... that's why I read labels and weigh everything now.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options

How would metrics change the fact that they are counting an individual sized bottle as two servings?

It would help in the following way:

If all nutrition labels were equalized to 100g (ml for fluids) you can now figure out in your head that:
    chips are ~5-5.5 kcal per gram
    nuts are 6-7 kcal per gram
    lean meats are 1.2-1.4 kcal per gram
    cereals are 3.5 kcal per gram
    etc
    etc
    etc

It gives you a very good compass of what to expect rather than trying to bend your brain with all the asinine serving quantities.

What is a serving size?
    YOU decide.