Zero calorie beverages

Options
So I'm drinking a Clear American wild cherry sparkling water. It has zero calories, zero sodium, zero sugars, zero caffeine....so what is in it?? I also like to drink ICE beverages frequently and it's the same story as with the Clear American... I feel like there is probably something unhealthy that I'm not picking up on, are these drinks bad for me?

Replies

• vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It's probably full of poison :p
    I just stick to plain old water if I want a calorie free beverage.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Lots of people here are against unnatural sweeteners, but the science doesn't back up the fear (particularly at smaller quantities).

Don't live on it and you'll be fine.

Also, I drink water with a small amount of 100% cranberry juice (not that sickening Ocean Spray crap). You can add around 3 ounces of cranberry juice to 30+ ounces of water and it's very good.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    It's basically just water with sweeteners. Nothing wrong with that, it's not bad for you :smile: I drink a lot of flavoured water.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Water
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    So I'm drinking a Clear American wild cherry sparkling water. It has zero calories, zero sodium, zero sugars, zero caffeine....so what is in it?? I also like to drink ICE beverages frequently and it's the same story as with the Clear American... I feel like there is probably something unhealthy that I'm not picking up on, are these drinks bad for me?

Ingredients:
    Carbonated Water, Natural Flavor, Citric Acid, Malic Acid, Potassium Benzoate (A Preservative), Aspartame, Potassium Citrate,Acesulfame Potassium. Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine

Aspartame

grumpy-cat-yuck.jpg

• Sarahgrace0228
    Sarahgrace0228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Carbonated drinks are bad for you in general and those drinks are probably not the best but aren't the worst either.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Oh please. I get my zero calorie carbonated drink on, on the daily.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I am so drinking my zero calories drinks.

and for the fact it is poison or bad for you?....well my bet is that the polluted air of the city does more damage to me than the whole ridiculous fear mockery of this food/liquid is poison or bad for you believe.

It is water and sweeteners and it has less than 5 calories so the factory dont have to put it on the label.
    So yes it has calories only it is just a couple.

And from all things i weigh and log in all accuracy...zero drinks is the one i dont log.

95069916.png
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Same here. My zero calorie sodas are what helped me start losing in the first place.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I actually just STARTED drinking them a few months ago and man have they helped me get through this deficit quite a bit. Especially diet Dr. Pepper, A&W root beer, and La Croix coconut sparkling water..mm
  • southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    La Croix is just carbonated water with natural flavors added. It helped me get off the beer and salty snacks.
    the only downside is the price.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Heck yeah... I'm actually drinking a coke zero vanilla now.

Also: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

well...it sounds like sparkling water to me...i drink tons of flavored sparkling waters...they usually only put enough juice from the fruit as to be negligible calorie wise and thus unnecessary to include on the labels.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Carbonated drinks are bad for you in general and those drinks are probably not the best but aren't the worst either.

please tell me more...I make sparking water every single day with my soda stream...please tell me how I will surely die soon...or just move along since you are apparently ignorant of the subject.
  • arditarose
    Options
    La Croix is just carbonated water with natural flavors added. It helped me get off the beer and salty snacks.
    the only downside is the price.

I know! My boyfriend has been drinking it instead of beer. I love it. The first time I got it it was on sale, but now I buy it anyway.
  • Sophlilcady
    Sophlilcady Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That sounds really delicious! Australia has limited 0 calorie beverages that aren't water. Pretty much just diet coke/pepsi/sprite. Anyone in America want to send me some deliciousness? lol
  • qubetha
    qubetha Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    That sounds really delicious! Australia has limited 0 calorie beverages that aren't water. Pretty much just diet coke/pepsi/sprite. Anyone in America want to send me some deliciousness? lol

Australia has one low cal drink the Americans don't and I miss it like you wouldn't believe! I lived on it before I moved to the U.S.

Solo extreme lemon. Not zero cal, but close. around 150kj-200kj per 1.25l bottle (can't remember exactly) so still very small. Almost Small enough to ignore in my opinion. Boy did it taste good. If you love tangy lemon soda this is for you. :-)

• qubetha
    qubetha Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Also, the only thing bad for you about carbonated zee cal drinks is the acidity. It's around the same as vinegar and horrible for your tooth enamel. So finish off by drinking some water too. Swish out the acid before you're done. Problem solved.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options

That isn't true - I have seen many flavours of artificially flavoured soft drinks here - and some non carbonated flavoured waters which are also very low in calories.

Keep in mind that in Australia none of these will be labelled zero calorie though - not because they are any different to the ones in USA but because USA laws allow anything with less than 5 calories per serve ( I think) to be labelled zero calories.
    Australian law does not allow that - so a can of Pepsi Max, for example, will state it has 2 calories or whatever here, not zero.
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I make pitchers of fruit infused water. For me, I get sick of plain water, but artificial sweeteners, even as little as a 12oz. drink, do a number on my tummy :( So, this adds just enough flavor. The amount of calories/sugars infused from the fruits is negligible. I also use veggies and/or fresh herbs (cucumber/mint is a favorite of mine during the summer months).