Supplements - what do you take/don't take?

Options
I searched for a discussion thread solely about supplements, I couldn't find anything so here goes.

CLA, fish oil, and weight gainers. Protein powders. ZMA. BCAAs. Creatine. What do you take and why or why not?

If you're trying to hit your protein for the day and you've already eaten a chicken breast and two sirloins, you might be supplementing with protein powder. I have. I guess it helps.

Fish oils. Got to have them right? Good for your heart.

Coconut oil. Flax. Chia. All good and healthy and necessary.

ZMA. Does that stuff work?

Who knows what they put in BCAAs and creatine, right?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I take a crapload of pills every day because I must. Without them, I'd be deficient and eventually die.

I also take a multivitamin because I don't meet my micronutrients, hard as I try.

I do not take anything else. If I don't need it, I don't take it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I take vitamin D in Winter.

I also add flax to a lot of dishes for the healthy fat and fiber, but no specific amount or regularity.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    No supplement is necessary unless you have a deficiency that you are either unwilling or unable to correct.

Some supplements are great to take for convenience purposes. Others can give an athlete or lifter a slight performance boost. However, most supplement purchases are made by novices who waste their money by being sucked up in a marketing ploy.

Know what you are putting into your body and don't rely on supplements for unrealistic expectations.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    After running blood work, my MD put me on D3, Metafolin, and fish oil.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I take a lot of supplements:

Fish oil, multi-vitamin, glucosamine and chondroitin in the morning.
    A homemade blend of taurine, creatine, citrulline malate, beta alanine pre-workout.
    I sip on BCAAs during my workout
    Another homemade blend of creatine, beta alanine, glutamine and (lately) leucine post-workout.

It may or may not have an impact, but it's not a huge burden for me and I'm happy with my body and performance. At least once a week I get asked for advice on how I achieved my physique (considering my age).
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I take iron because my doctor told me to after blood work.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I take an iron supplement and fish oil. I'm interested in BCAAs, actually researching them now. Don't know if it's necessary for me.
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    For pills I take a multivitamin with iron and a B50 vitamin. Supplements are whey protein powder, creatine monohydrate, strawberry lemonade Nuun tabs in my water bottle, and sometimes energy/endurance gels for a hit of carbs mid-run.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i take cinnamon, garlic, fish oils (to lower cholesterol) as well as extra fiber.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Fish oil gummies (first and last time I buy those. YUCK). Multi vitamin gummies.

Magnesium during PMS, and potassium when I remember to (usually when I have DOMs).

That's pretty much it.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I don't take any. I used to take fish oil and a multivitamin but my doctor convinced me that they weren't necessary.
  • sabrinacrandall
    sabrinacrandall Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I take an iron supplement and a mutlivitamin, but would love to find a good potassium supplement as I never seem to get enough, and my multi only has like 85mg.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D - doctor's orders
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    A daily multi-vitamin with minerals and twice a week a DHA-rich algae capsule for omega 3.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i take cinnamon, garlic, fish oils (to lower cholesterol) as well as extra fiber.

oh yes, i also started taking capsules of apple cider vinegar
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    ffbrown25 wrote: »
    For pills I take a multivitamin with iron and a B50 vitamin. Supplements are whey protein powder, creatine monohydrate, strawberry lemonade Nuun tabs in my water bottle, and sometimes energy/endurance gels for a hit of carbs mid-run.

Whey protein is not a supplement. It is a food.

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    ffbrown25 wrote: »

Whey protein is not a supplement. It is a food.

Technically, it's a processed fast food. A person can opt to using protein powder to "supplement" their diet, usually for convenience, but whole foods should be the prime focus when it comes protein intake.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Half a one a day multi, beta alanine (because I like to feel like I'm on fire when I run), protein and bcaa
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C, omega 3 and a multivitamin