Super Quick Questions

Options
Hi,

I was here trying to lose weight a long while ago ( 8 - 10 months ) ? Give it or take I stopped, things got complicated
( but in reality, they weren't )

Anyhow I'm back at it, My starting was 175 and I went down to 160 from only calorie deficit.. that was pretty easy as I don't eat much anyways but now i'm back at 170 - 175 but this time I would like to get back down but without the calorie deficit.

Anyhow I started working out today and I put in a 30 minute workout and roughly burned 150 - 200 calories? estimated of course but I'm just here asking for some good videos. I'm not new to working out and i've done it for 2 months straight a few years ago at one point then stopped.

TL;DR: Started working out again today, did 30 minute routine cardio exercise from fitness blender.. abs/etc. So I'm requesting new videos as if you were pretending im a complete beginner looking to burn weight by cardio and my goal is 150 pounds...

Thanks

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you have to be at a calorie deficit, whether you get it through increasing exercise or reducing calorie intake. I think most people find it ideal to do some combination of the two. You may not be counting the calories, but your body is.
  • jorda13456
    jorda13456 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you have to be at a calorie deficit, whether you get it through increasing exercise or reducing calorie intake. I think most people find it ideal to do some combination of the two. You may not be counting the calories, but your body is.

Oh I thought calorie deficit and burning off fat by working out was two different things but I guess not. Ok so I will continue doing a deficit of a certain number then workout and eat back the amount I burned.
  • raxelita
    raxelita Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Really I find diff workouts for every day through youtube searches. You can usually tell what's good by the number of views a video gets. Try searching for say, "beginner 30 minute cardio workout" and you'll find a bunch of stuff and generally find one or two people or companies that you feel are best for you. I love fitnessblender but after like two years of using their videos I got tired of em and just started finding others. Today I worked out with this fun midwestern woman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Mu81sMYCc
  • raxelita
    raxelita Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's a tough workout tho. Not for beginners...
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You can't lose weight without a calorie deficit. Exercise alone won't cause much weight loss. Your diet needs to be on-point. Why aren't you keen on the deficit? :]
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if i relied on exercise alone to lose weight, i wouldnt.

im starving after a workout!

you have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • jorda13456
    jorda13456 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You can't lose weight without a calorie deficit. Exercise alone won't cause much weight loss. Your diet needs to be on-point. Why aren't you keen on the deficit? :]

I already re-commented about not knowing the difference between the two... I only use calorie deficit in the past.

I don't mind it at all, I'll continue using it along with working out now :)

Summary: I thought you can eat then workout to lose calories.
    Then the second thing was: You eat less... example ( 1800 normally ) but on deficit eat 1200 instead each day.. thats what I Was doing..

Now: I'll do both deficit and work out.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    jorda13456 wrote: »

Oh I thought calorie deficit and burning off fat by working out was two different things but I guess not. Ok so I will continue doing a deficit of a certain number then workout and eat back the amount I burned.

They are just different ways of talking about it. A calorie deficit is the amount you are eating less than you need to maintain your weight at whatever level of activity you are actually doing.

For example, say you figure out you are eating 2000 and neither gaining nor losing. If so, at your current level of activity 2000 is your maintenance calories. You can do a few things with that information. For example:

1) Eat 500 calories less to lose 1 lb/week -- eat 1500, calorie deficit (difference between maintenance and what you are eating)=500.

2) Continue eating 2000, but exercise to burn an extra 300 calories per day (increasing your maintenance calories to 2300) -- eat 2000, add exercise, calorie deficit=300 (2300 (what you are now burning)-2000 (what you eat))

3) Reduce your calories by 300 (so you eat 1700) and add 300 calories of exercise per day (increasing maintenance to 2300) -- calorie deficit is now 600 (2300-1700)

This is why people often think it's easier to do a combination of exercise and cutting calories.

Just increasing exercise will work, but you often have to monitor it anyway, as many people will increase calories that they eat without realizing it. And if you go from nothing to really hard exercise it can mean that you reduce activity during the rest of the day so you don't end up burning as much more as you would have expected.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You indeed need a deficit
    But that dont have to be at 1200

You deficit can be smaller too. So you can also eat 1500 or 1600
    You just lose less weight ( slower).

So when your maintenance is 1800 and you eat 1600 you eat 200 less.
    At 1200 a day you eat 600 less.

For some people it is difficult to do 1200 and they do more.

Now exercise helps to make your deficit bigger...but more important it makes you fitter.
    Because to not burn out you need to eat at leas a bit back of those burned calories...this to give your body enough nutrition's

So when you are at 1400 and you exercise for 300 than you could eat 1700 Because the 300 is extra...but most people will only eat a part of it ( anywhere between 25 to 75% of the exercise calories) So not 1700 but 1600 for example
    This is how they get fitter but also can eat a bit more while they keep their deficit bigger.

When you dont want to have a big deficit start at 1500 and exercise..try it for 4 weeks and see how you are doing
    But most of all weigh ( dont measure/use cups and spoons) all your food in grams on a food scale. And log it!

Hope this helps
    Good luck OP you can do it!

95069916.png