Weekends are the worst!

Options
Any tips on how you handle weekends? I enjoy the occasional dinner and cocktails:)

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,089 Member
    Options
    For me ... they are the best. :)

All week long I'm stuck indoors at work or university or doing homework at home. I have very little time to exercise.

Come the weekend, and I'm out all afternoon ... sometimes all day. Cycling, hiking, swimming, snowshoeing, canoeing, or whatever we decide to do. :)

And that means that I can eat half of those exercise calories back ... which means I can have all sorts of things. For example, if I go for a decent bicycle ride, for example ... decent being 3+ hours, where I might have burned 1200 calories or more ... we can order pizza! :grin:
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I handle it by eating less during the week. See my post about it.

Osric
  • katecampisi
    katecampisi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    They are bad for me too! I TRY to eat less throughout the day if im going out at night-and stick mainly to protein. I love a drink and nibbles!!! I just try not to get into that binge mentality-as in stuff in all I can before Monday! Sometimes I slip. Only human. Last weekend I was out all three nights. Scales did not move this week as a result. But this weekend I am determined to do better!
  • Stacescotty
    Stacescotty Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Try dinner out OR cocktails, not both in the same weekend.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,089 Member
    Options
    And also ... several more tips ...

If you can, look up the restaurant and see if they've got a menu or any information posted about their food. These days I usually have a pretty good idea what I'm eating about 3 days before we go out because I've been browsing menus.

Even if the restaurant doesn't list calories, you can sometimes use the description in the menu to look up recipes and get an idea of calories from that.

Order a salad, no dressing, to start ... that helps to fill you up with minimal calories.

Avoid ordering those delicious starters ... deep fried cheese sticks, gooey garlic toast, nacho platter, and all that stuff unless you are sure they fit into your calorie limit.

Order the half-sized portions rather than full-size.

Choose the steamed veggies rather than the side of chips.

Share your desert.

Drink water or black coffee or tea.

Go for a walk with friends or family immediately after dinner.

• tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Life's too short! Move more, a bike ride, a long run or just walk more, then enjoy dinner and a cocktail or two if you like ;) Develop a preference for the surprisingly low calorie martini, stay away from overly sugary or fattening drinks like juice or milk based cocktails.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I know the struggle :]

It took me a long time to figure out how to 'cope' with weekends - especially having a boyfriend that LOVES to eat at weekends. Let me introduce to the world of calorie banking! This only applies if you are ever UNDER your daily calorie allowance some days.

What I do is, as soon as I wake up on Saturday morning - I log on to MFP and count back 7 days in my food diary. I am on a 1500 per day plan all-in (I don't eat back my exercise calories, it's all included in the 1500). If I am UNDER my 1500 on any of the past 7 days, I write down how much I had remaining and use it for an indulgence on Saturday. My weeks look something like this (Not intentionally - I will always try and hit 1500) :

Sunday: 1400 cals (Banked: 100 cals)
    Monday: 1500 Cals (Banked: 0)
    Tuesday: 1300 Cals (Banked: 200 Cals)
    Wednesday: 1450 Cals (Banked: 50 cals)
    Thursday: 1500 Cals (Banked: 0)
    Friday: 1350 Cals (Banked: 150 cals)

Total banked for Saturday: 500 calories.
    Saturdays total allowance: 2000 calories.

If I know I have a big weekend ahead of me, I'll intentionally make sure I'm 'saving up' some calories. It's that weekly deficit that matters, so there is definitely a way to indulge and still be in the deficit! :D
  • AshuhleeMarie
    AshuhleeMarie Posts: 86 Member
    Options

It took me a long time to figure out how to 'cope' with weekends - especially having a boyfriend that LOVES to eat at weekends. Let me introduce to the world of calorie banking! This only applies if you are ever UNDER your daily calorie allowance some days.

What I do is, as soon as I wake up on Saturday morning - I log on to MFP and count back 7 days in my food diary. I am on a 1500 per day plan all-in (I don't eat back my exercise calories, it's all included in the 1500). If I am UNDER my 1500 on any of the past 7 days, I write down how much I had remaining and use it for an indulgence on Saturday. My weeks look something like this (Not intentionally - I will always try and hit 1500) :

If I know I have a big weekend ahead of me, I'll intentionally make sure I'm 'saving up' some calories. It's that weekly deficit that matters, so there is definitely a way to indulge and still be in the deficit! :D

Uhm, this is SUCH a good idea! Thank you for posting, I will definitely be trying this out!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

Uhm, this is SUCH a good idea! Thank you for posting, I will definitely be trying this out!

It's literally SAVED my social life hehe :)
  • Julesp34
    Julesp34 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Julesp34 wrote: »
    Any tips on how you handle weekends? I enjoy the occasional dinner and cocktails:)
    Thanks! These are all fantastic ideas. I will definitely be using all of these