Should I throw out or donate my old baggie clothes?

Options

Replies

• HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I have donated ALL of mine that were still in good repair....makes your heart feel all warm inside to know that indirectly you may be helping someone who cannot afford new clothes....IMO it's a waste to bin them.
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    man, i happened upon this thread in a timely fashion...i just took two huge rubbermaid containers of clothing to the Goodwill donation center before coming in to work tonight. I actually remarked to my son as I was putting them in the back of the car that...I really had a weird feeling about it. These were clothes that I wore for YEARS in some instances...but I don't know that it was nostalgia, necessarily, as much as the feeling that...I dunno, that I still needed them?

it's the same feeling I get when I'm folding T-shirts out of the dryer and feeling like, "holy $h1t, there's no way this shirt fits me..." the old ones folded up to a certain size, and the new ones fold a LOT smaller, and they're only a size down. same thing with the new underwear i bought...it feels like I'm folding someone else's clothes.

Still, I watched the guys separate the stuff into bins standing there at the dock and drove away...and still felt kinda weird about it.

This too, shall pass, though.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Donate
  • qubetha
    qubetha Posts: 83 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    qubetha wrote: »
    I'm someone who has a HUGE wardrobe of clothes and while I don't consider myself to be a fashion guru, many of my friends often comment positively on what I wear and ask for my advice when shopping :-)

Having been very overweight (twice! Long story) and quite skinny I have become a first-hand expert at dressing well for every size and my wardrobe has become a clothing rental service because I have almost every outfit in every size lol! My friends come in all shapes and sizes and many have said they love going through my collection because there is always something in there that fits. They say it inspires them concentrate on getting healthier rather than appearances because they can see for themselves that it's perfectly possible to look good at any weight (and all weights in between).

.....And that makes me feel awesome!

QUbetha, I entered a fitness contest. I'm pear shaped, meaning my top is very fit but I carry my weight in my hips and thights. I was thinking of wearing an exercise bra and ankle length yoga pants with heeels in my after photo. Advice?

lol its hard to offer advice without being able to see you but here goes:

I think the heels are great for pear shape because they stretch out your body making it look longer (and make larger thighs look more in proportion). If you are going with yoga pants I would go for the ones with a loose lower leg (flared even, if you like that style) and something solid dark in color with a fairly high waist (also makes your lower body look longer). Exercise bra sounds great, especially if its got some lift and cleavage so that your top half looks a bit bigger to match your bottom half. Personally, I really love the pear shape as a body type anyway. It's easy to work with and always looks really sexy and sensual. No need to hide it!

Anyway, Not knowing any more about you that's probably all I can say! THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS THAT YOU FEEL GOOD ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE WEARING!!! my advice is useless if you are not confident dressed that way :-)
  • heybebe88
    heybebe88 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you have items that are still in great condition / barely worn, consider trying to sell them to consignment stores as well. More $ for shopping! :)
  • skcamerabuff
    skcamerabuff Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find myself in this very situation. For now I bagged them up to go into storage. I'm not sure why but they are part of me like it or not.
    :) good luck
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Donate or tailor if you really can't part with an item.
  • hiphop10
    hiphop10 Posts: 135 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I like to donate the baggie clothes.My history is probably different then others. I gained weight due to a medication that I was on. And my doc took me off of it.I am now at the weight before I started the medication. And with MFP I am able to monitor a good diet plan of my choice, I think it is a good combination..no more meds needed & MPF.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Donate
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    off to the charity stores. don't need to ever fit in those again

This!!
  • stephaniemarie2
    stephaniemarie2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Consign what you can and put the money towards new clothes. Donate the rest.
  • hiphop10
    hiphop10 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I did just that...donated old baggie clothes..made someone happy. And it was fun getting new clothes! smaller!
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I've donated some, given some to friends and I've hung on to some items. I love my clothes and many items weren't cheap. I'm seeing whether some can be altered. A few items (mostly dresses in stretchy jersey fabrics) would also make good maternity clothes...so hanging on to those! I lost weight a few years ago and never regained to that size, so those clothes have gone. Currently I'm only a size away from my goal, so many things will still fit with minor alterations.
  • sheryl792
    sheryl792 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    First CONGRATS !!! That is a BIG accomplishment!!!

You probably have dropped several clothing sizes!! I lost weight and went down 2 sizes a few years ago and wanted to toss EVERYTHING but kept my 'good' jeans/slacks/ect that were of considerable money to buy.
    It is motivating to let it go ... I held onto some items and put them away in a bin in the attic. Unfortunatly I did creep back into them this year and it was handy to have. (I shop at the Limited, Express, ect which isnt inexpensive). Maybe hold onto a few things for a few years if the style is one that is timeless to make sure you can maintain then toss after a few years!!

Best of luck on your new journey!
  • JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I play to keep at least one pair of pants from my highest weight so I can take one of those "big pants" before and after pictures. Gotta have a "big pants" picture.
  • stephaniemarie2
    stephaniemarie2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Consign and good will to what they don't take. It takes a while to build up your account at a consignment shop, but most places let you hold on cashing out until it's a substantial amount.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If you have one that is easily accessible, donate to a local domestic violence shelter. The residents often show up with nothing but the clothes on their backs. Many will also need nicer "career" clothing for when the women go on job interviews. They frequently rely on secondary donations from places like Goodwill, who will only give them the worst of what comes in so they can sell the better things.

A homeless shelter will be a good place too.

While we are on the subject:
    12003003_10153194185168366_3851024633054899707_n_zpsq7c7l8fs.jpg

I try to pick up a pair or two when I shop at the Dollar Store and add them to my box of too big clothes waiting to be donated. A pair of socks might cost you a dollar but can mean a lot to a homeless person, especially now that winter is coming.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them however you feel is best. It they're worn out, no one will want them. If they're new it's a nice gesture to donate the.

Actually, some organizations will do a secondary donation of the worst, unusable items to people who will then use any salvageable fabric in things like quilts. Many are village co-ops which employ women.