Has anyone lost 50+ pounds and kept it off easily for years?

Options
If so I would like to hear your story? How much weight did you lose? What is your BMI? What were your struggles while losing weight and how do you keep it off now? Are you a calorie counting maniac now? etc etc

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Not 50, but 38. Almost 4 years. It was easy. I don't think much about counting calories, but I do continue to log everything every day. It's a habit. The key thing for me was that on a deficit, I analyzed my logs and saw there were just a few things I was eating that weren't particularly important to me, but added a lot of calories - big glasses of milk, too much cheese, bread, etc. I substituted other things I was equally happy with - water, tortillas, etc. and didn't miss them. Then I took foods that were calorie dense that I did like - ice cream, nuts, potatoes - and just ate them just as often but in small portions. Once i hit my goals, I became more meticulous about walking my 10,000 steps every day. I haven't had trouble maintaining. I'm currently trying to lose literally a pound or two, but that's the first time I've had to put any real effort into it for several years.

I'm 56. My highest BMI was 27.1 (just before I started). I'm 21.5 now.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I started around 202-212 lbs ( I know i was a bit more but refused to get on scale so I go with those numbers instead )
    I'm now 135 lbs. I'm 5'8 , work 60+ hrs per week, workout , mom, wife , dogs , all the usual stuff ..... So heres my story,
    To lose the weight I realized it came down to cico. It always comes down to the calories. There's no need for pills, fads or gimmicks. For weight loss, all thats needed is a calorie deficit. So I got a food scale and started weighing all my foods. I ate at a responsible yet reasonable deficit and lost all my weight. I made sure to be accurate and not eye ball portions, I weighed all my solids. I lost all my weight and kept it off :)
  • futuremilf2015
    futuremilf2015 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I started around 202-212 lbs ( I know i was a bit more but refused to get on scale so I go with those numbers instead )
    I'm now 135 lbs. I'm 5'8 , work 60+ hrs per week, workout , mom, wife , dogs , all the usual stuff ..... So heres my story,
    To lose the weight I realized it came down to cico. It always comes down to the calories. There's no need for pills, fads or gimmicks. For weight loss, all thats needed is a calorie deficit. So I got a food scale and started weighing all my foods. I ate at a responsible yet reasonable deficit and lost all my weight. I made sure to be accurate and not eye ball portions, I weighed all my solids. I lost all my weight and kept it off :)

Ok so how did you control your cravings. I try to eat healthy but I crave chocolate, donuts, burgers. I usually go 6 days and then just binge on my favs. I know its wrong but the cravings get so intense. Then I get mad at myself and workout a ton. I don't really go over my average 1250 calories each week. I have struggled with weight my whole life and I am trying to get back down to 135lbs. I am 5 ft 8 too.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options

Ok so how did you control your cravings. I try to eat healthy but I crave chocolate, donuts, burgers. I usually go 6 days and then just binge on my favs. I know its wrong but the cravings get so intense. Then I get mad at myself and workout a ton. I don't really go over my average 1250 calories each week. I have struggled with weight my whole life and I am trying to get back down to 135lbs. I am 5 ft 8 too.

You don't have to cut anything out. You just have to get a little creative to work them in. If you spread out the treats, you won't feel the need to binge so hard.

Is your weekly goal too aggressive? For someone as tall as you are, 1250 is pretty low. You might want to lower your weekly loss goal so you can eat a little more, whihc will let you work those "extras" in a little easier. Slow, steady progress with less stress! :)
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    50 lbs, 9 years now. I didn't use MFP to lose (and now realise I ate a ridiculously low amount of calories) lost it all in 3 months. That being said, I have maintained the weight loss by educating myself on how it really works (CICO) and working out. I allow myself a 5lb fluctuation and I have a pair of jeans that get uncomfortable if I go over that. As for temptation...you need to want to lifetime benefit of weight loss more than the instant gratification of the donut, chocolate or burger, assuming any of those things puts you OVER your calories for the day. Take it day by day and look at the calorie counts for the foods you love and work them into your daily plan. it's all about the numbers.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options

I'm 5' 8" (well, 5' 7 3/4" if you're going to get really technical about it) and I don't think I could last even one day eating 1250 calories. Seriously. Just like the people above me said, I eat fewer treats/smaller servings and try to remind myself that this stuff will be around tomorrow and the next day. I've maintained for close to a year now. When I get to the top of my range (127-132) I start logging more diligently and weighing everything again. When I'm in the middle of the range or at the bottom (which has only happened once!) I'm less strict with myself. That's it.
  • smithie092015
    smithie092015 Posts: 56 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

I find it useful to remember that just because I can't have something now doesn't mean that I can't have it ever. If I'm really craving a splurge (usually ice cream) and I don't have the budget for it, I tell myself that I will plan it into my daily calories for the next day. If I know in advance that I want a treat, I can make a low calorie dinner or skip my afternoon snack to fit it in to my calories. Sounds simple, but it helps! Planning is key.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I am 40 years old, 5'7, and my starting weight was 174 pounds. I lost 45 pounds over 11 months, and have been maintaining for 10 months. For over the past 10 years I went up and down the same 10-20 pounds. Had a couple kids, got fed up, lost weight. Got complacent and felt deprived, gained it back. Over and over. A couple years ago I hit 155, and then lost 20 pounds in 3 months. I hit my goal weight of 135 for all of about 3 seconds. I went to a wedding, completely derailed my 'diet' and over the next 2 years my life unraveled around me and I gained 40 pounds.

I knew I needed to do something different this time. So I started paying less attention to the number on the scale and more on how I was going to make it stick this time. I read everything I could from people who had success in keeping it off, and there seemed to be a pattern. Over and over I kept hearing not to make changes you can't stick with even after you hit your goal weight. To look at goal weight as a step in the journey not the finish line.

So I made changes that I could live with. I ate in a way that didn't leave me feeling deprived, and weak, and going to bed with my stomach growling. I didn't care if it took me 2 years to lose the weight, because goal weight wasn't the end. I started figuring out what worked for me. I quit trying to eat a "good" breakfast because that's what you are "supposed" to do. I quit trying to avoid all treats because that's what you are "supposed" to do. I ate after 8pm even though you're not "supposed" to. I weighed and tracked religiously. I am still very diligent. I started figuring out ways to burn calories that I enjoy, because I figured out I like food too much to live on 1200-1400 calories a day. I played around with low-calorie recipes, and ways to eat huge meals that are low calories, because I like to feel full. I figured out how to pre-log so I can fit in treats, and restaurants, and social events.
    The exact opposite might work for you, you have to figure out what helps you best because you and I are different, and have different preferences.

There are some things I think are more universal. The first thing that made a huge difference was to up my protein intake. A LOT. I eat 80-100 grams of protein a day. It helps me to feel more satiated and lessens some cravings. I also drink a lot of water, and try to get 8 hours of sleep every night. I figured out how to tell the difference between water weight and fat weight on the scale and to not let water weight fluctuations freak me out.

My body isn't perfect. I have cellulite on my thighs, even though my weight is as low as I would ever want to see it go. I have varicose veins and stretch marks. I have loose skin from pregnancies. But I love my body. I love how clothes fit me in a flattering way again. I love how strong I've become. I can see muscles in my arms and my back and my abs and I think, damn - that's incredible. I'm so proud of what I have accomplished and continue to accomplish every day when I log my meals and exercise. It hasn't been an easy journey, but it hasn't really been hard either.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 three years ago but put back on 10 this summer. It crept up on me 2, 4, then 4 more, sneaky stuff. I think it is a math thing. I got too comfortable, saying oh well my clothes still fit. Hey my jeans are tight now. So back to the math thing and quit overdoing, I tell you this stuff is sneaky and adds up. I can get 10 off, 50 is not so easy. Besides I wear fitted clothes, I will be naked. No more stretchy stuff for me so it reminds me lose it or you will have nothing to wear.
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    MissJay75 wrote: »
    I am 40 years old, 5'7, and my starting weight was 174 pounds. I lost 45 pounds over 11 months, and have been maintaining for 10 months. For over the past 10 years I went up and down the same 10-20 pounds. Had a couple kids, got fed up, lost weight. Got complacent and felt deprived, gained it back. Over and over. A couple years ago I hit 155, and then lost 20 pounds in 3 months. I hit my goal weight of 135 for all of about 3 seconds. I went to a wedding, completely derailed my 'diet' and over the next 2 years my life unraveled around me and I gained 40 pounds.

I knew I needed to do something different this time. So I started paying less attention to the number on the scale and more on how I was going to make it stick this time. I read everything I could from people who had success in keeping it off, and there seemed to be a pattern. Over and over I kept hearing not to make changes you can't stick with even after you hit your goal weight. To look at goal weight as a step in the journey not the finish line.

So I made changes that I could live with. I ate in a way that didn't leave me feeling deprived, and weak, and going to bed with my stomach growling. I didn't care if it took me 2 years to lose the weight, because goal weight wasn't the end. I started figuring out what worked for me. I quit trying to eat a "good" breakfast because that's what you are "supposed" to do. I quit trying to avoid all treats because that's what you are "supposed" to do. I ate after 8pm even though you're not "supposed" to. I weighed and tracked religiously. I am still very diligent. I started figuring out ways to burn calories that I enjoy, because I figured out I like food too much to live on 1200-1400 calories a day. I played around with low-calorie recipes, and ways to eat huge meals that are low calories, because I like to feel full. I figured out how to pre-log so I can fit in treats, and restaurants, and social events.
    The exact opposite might work for you, you have to figure out what helps you best because you and I are different, and have different preferences.

There are some things I think are more universal. The first thing that made a huge difference was to up my protein intake. A LOT. I eat 80-100 grams of protein a day. It helps me to feel more satiated and lessens some cravings. I also drink a lot of water, and try to get 8 hours of sleep every night. I figured out how to tell the difference between water weight and fat weight on the scale and to not let water weight fluctuations freak me out.

My body isn't perfect. I have cellulite on my thighs, even though my weight is as low as I would ever want to see it go. I have varicose veins and stretch marks. I have loose skin from pregnancies. But I love my body. I love how clothes fit me in a flattering way again. I love how strong I've become. I can see muscles in my arms and my back and my abs and I think, damn - that's incredible. I'm so proud of what I have accomplished and continue to accomplish every day when I log my meals and exercise. It hasn't been an easy journey, but it hasn't really been hard either.

Wow... I feel like I could of written this!!!! I second everything that was said above!!!

I'm 40. SW 230-40. CW 175. GW 150. I'm 5.7 1/2".
    Lost and gained a few times. Kept weigh off when I workout and paid attention to my intake. Gained weight when I didn't make myself a priority and ate what when I had time and who had time to workout?
    I work full time, a mom, wife, take care of aging mom and help my sister raise her 2kids (recently widowed). So I have tons of excuses.
    I workout 5-6 times a week. When busy I involve the family so we are active together. I lift weights regularly.
    I can't or won't eat less then 1500/day. The weight will come off slowly but it will come off.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options

I still feel that the easiest way to beat a craving is to feed it! If you are hungry for a burger, have a burger, just get it protein style without the bun or fries. Substitute a side salad for the fries instead. If you want chocolate, try having a small portion of dark chocolate, the higher cacao % the better (to some it's an acquired taste). I like Ghirardelli's Intense Dark 72% Cacao Twilight Delight myself! When you crave donuts, try making some at home instead from healthy flours and healthy fats. They taste just as good! I'll be having a homemade carrot cake donut with cream-cheese frosting tomorrow for breakfast! It IS possible to eat what you like and still maintain a "diet" or WOE.
  • ruthtruman
    ruthtruman Posts: 50 Member
    Options

• ruthtruman
    Options
    That's inspiring-- you're my height and goal weight, so you've given me a real life frame of reference for success!
  • ruthtruman
    Options
    MissJay75 wrote: »

• ruthtruman
    Options
    Your strategies are excellent! Thank you so much..... I only wish you could publish these tried and true tips and make a million bucks since this advise is so valuable.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    ruthtruman wrote: »
    Your strategies are excellent! Thank you so much..... I only wish you could publish these tried and true tips and make a million bucks since this advise is so valuable.

I'm glad it's valuable to you. So many people are looking for a trick or shortcut. There really isn't one. I look forward to seeing you on the boards some day telling your success story and passing on the wisdom you've learned!

• Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm maintaining a 90+lbs weightloss. Its weigh and measure my food. I accept I had no idea what enough was. I ate with a calorie deficit worked out by MFP.
    I log everything I eat regardless, I exercise regularly (now, I was very lazy before). I use portion control for treat style snacks ie kids size pack of grain waves/chips/rice crackers around 20-25gms that sort of thing. I like weightwatchers size snacks basically anything under a 100 cals.
    My food is always unprocessed, moderate amount protein, lots and lots of vegetables, some fruit (just not a huge lover of some fruit) and I don't eat huge amounts carbs - pasta and bread, rice etc. mainly cause the portion size I could eat doesn't seem worth the bother so I stay away from them alot - have the odd bit. I do use cereals for breakfast portion sizes etc.
    I eat out regularly and just choose the best I can and the rest of the day can reflect that.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I lost about 55 pounds 27 years ago. I kept all but 10 pounds of it off through all the years, two pregnancies, various surgeries and menopause. The only reason I'm here is that my thyroid tanked and caused me to gain 10 pounds and I'm trying to lose that (and have just about done it!).

I had little to no problem maintaining. When I lost the weight I concentrated on finding healthy foods that I really enjoyed, and on figuring out what things I'd been doing automatically that maybe I really didn't need to do. For example, I figured out that a baked potato is delicious to me plain. I didn't need butter or sour cream globbed on, which completely changes the taste. I also concentrated on learning to follow my appetite and not eat past full or because I was bored. That doesn't mean I was always perfect--far, far from it. But when I slipped I never let it last for long, and I knew what habits to return to.
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If so I would like to hear your story? How much weight did you lose? What is your BMI? What were your struggles while losing weight and how do you keep it off now? Are you a calorie counting maniac now? etc etc

Im down 80 pounds for about 3 years.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    Not 50, but 38. Almost 4 years. It was easy. I don't think much about counting calories, but I do continue to log everything every day. It's a habit. The key thing for me was that on a deficit, I analyzed my logs and saw there were just a few things I was eating that weren't particularly important to me, but added a lot of calories - big glasses of milk, too much cheese, bread, etc. I substituted other things I was equally happy with - water, tortillas, etc. and didn't miss them. Then I took foods that were calorie dense that I did like - ice cream, nuts, potatoes - and just ate them just as often but in small portions. Once i hit my goals, I became more meticulous about walking my 10,000 steps every day. I haven't had trouble maintaining. I'm currently trying to lose literally a pound or two, but that's the first time I've had to put any real effort into it for several years.

I'm 56. My highest BMI was 27.1 (just before I started). I'm 21.5 now.
    Brilliant post