Struggling big time to lose weight

Options
hi can any of you guys suggest what I should be eating every day? I'm struggling big style with what I should be eating I'm in the gym 5 days a week and not losing any weight. I need to lose just over a stone. Please help :(

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Eat foods that you like in portion sizes that fit in your goals.

Get plenty of fat, fiber, and protein to help with hunger and health.

Eat plenty of fruits and veggies for the micronutrients.

Fill in the rest with sweets and treats if you want them.

I know that's probably not the answer you wanted, but what you eat is far less important than how much you eat. Food choices and meal planning are so personal depending on your goals, needs, and preferences. There are so many different ways that you can structure it. A lot of people start by logging what they already eat and make small changes as they go.
  • FGTisme
    FGTisme Posts: 87 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You have to figure out the right calorie goals and stick to them. MFP will give you that when you input your stats (height weight age etc). Track accurately and consistently.

I prefer to spread my calories into 5 meals/snacks. I also try to have some type of protein (chicken, fish, yogurt cheese) each time I eat. It helps keep me from getting too hungry. I also concentrate on fruits, veggies and then the occasional treat if it fits in my calorie limit.

Read the links here. All of them are very good advice.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    You should eat real food, that you enjoy every day. You should do so in such a way that you consume fewer calories than you burn.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    eat within your calorie allotment.

what you eat is up to you
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat anything you like so long as it fits your allotment. How long has it been? Are you using a food scale? What are your stats? Can you open your diary?
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    It's not about what you're eating - it's about how much :]

The general consensus is that being on a calorie controlled plan means that you should be sticking to salads and bland foods - totally not the case at all. You can actually eat whatever you choose to eat. If it fits within your calorie allowance per day, you'll lose weight. No I wouldn't recommend using all of your daily calories on 10 donuts - purely because.. well... why would you?! But generally you'll make 'good' choices automatically after a while!

I'd definitely, definitely, DEFINITELY recommend using an electronic food scale. It may not matter WHAT you're eating but portion control is usually the culprit in unexpected weight gain. Over-estimating portion size is so easily done, hence why I purchased the scales to tighten it up and continue my progress.

You'll get there.
  • caranais
    caranais Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi - I don't know if this will help you, but it might. It's helped me get my head into gear so to speak. I posted it under this heading earlier this morning.

Hi guys. I hope this might help someone else who is "stuck" and not losing even though you are eating healthily and logging your foods. I've been stuck for about a year - gained weight even though I log daily, count my calories, food and drink. Even log when I'm "over". I've lost weight before counting calories so know it works - it's science isn't it - it has to? I know how many calories are in almost all foods - if you ask me how many calories in something, I'd be pretty accurate in my reply, I'm knowledgeable about nutrition and eat pretty healthily most of the time. So what's wrong then? why haven't I been losing? The eye opener came the other day, when I decided to re start my health kick. I always log my food for the week and then write my shopping list so I know what to buy etc, and write down the calories I will consume. So when I was preparing lunch I got out the scales (which I haven't done for a while) - sure I'm so used to counting calories I didn't think I needed to anymore - I'm an expert (or so I thought) - Reality check!! - just that one lunch came to 140 more calories than I had allowed for - only small bits - 6 extra on both slices of ham - different brand of bread - 25 calories more per slice, a "dollop" of dressing on my salad that I had forgotten to add to my diary but meant to etc. This gave me the kick up the backside I have needed for a long time. I won't whinge and whine anymore - the truth is what I knew deep down inside all along - I need to weigh and account for EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth if I want to lose weight. If most meals are over by this amount on a daily basis that will soon add up to weight gain over a few months. I hope this might help someone else who is struggling even though they "know" they are being very careful and doing the right thing. I know it's not news, but sometimes we need to see to believe I think.

Good luck, I wish you well xxx
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    It isn't WHAT it's how much. You could workout everyday and it won't overpower a diet of too much food.

Electronic food scale. Buy one. Use it.