Yoga & Pilates - Back Injury

Options
Hey guys. Earlier this year I sustained a back injury at one of my gym classes doing a body pump class. I used to do weights and high intensity training but ended up having 3 damaged discs in my back, which put me out for 2 months and with hospital stay too.
I am still having weekly physio sessions to help with the recovery due to all the muscles in spasm in my back and no timeframe given for a recovery, have been told that it is a slow process and probably never be able to do what I did before. This is all fine, at least I can walk and I have been able to ditch the wheelchair.
Slowly my weight is creeping back on and I am finding food is becoming my comfort again. I don't want this to be so, but without exercising I feel that food alone won't help me lose weight. I know that weight loss is made up of diet 80% and exercise 20% but I like the feeling when i exercise and feel like I'm actually doing something to help the weight loss along.

So my question is finally …….

Does anyone know which exercise i.e yoga or pilates is the best one to start with for exercise low intensity purposes?

I have asked my physio but he keeps saying nothing yet, not allowed to go to the gym. But just looking to the future and would like to see what each one is about and which is probably the better one to choose.

I admittedly used to scoff at these classes, saying there is no way you can lose weight by reaching for the sky or trying to look like a bloody tree, but now with no choice i need to check out these classes. I am hopeful that i will eventually be able to perhaps go back to some of my classes of HIT training as I have a long way to go with my weight loss journey, but just want to start something of light to just lift my exercise mentality spirit and kerb my comfort eating frenzy I seem to have sunken into.

Sorry for such a lengthy message, it was mean't to be a very quick question. :):wink:

Replies

• natasha2106
    natasha2106 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sorry forgot to ask, can you actually lose weight by doing these classes, or is it just the well being of the mind??
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I have an iffy back and once used a pilates ball and felt it in my back right away. I'm sure your therapist will have advice that will fit your body and injury. I'd say to take it slowly and listen to your body, and your therapist. If it were me, I'd start with yoga. But, swimming might be what your therapist will recommend. Count your calories and stay under and you'll lose weight. It's more fun and better mentally to get exercise, but if you can walk, you can exercise, so maybe you can start with that?
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Sorry forgot to ask, can you actually lose weight by doing these classes, or is it just the well being of the mind??

Weight loss is from a calorie deficit. You clearly know that and you can lose weight with food alone. Exercise certainly buys you some wiggle room with your calorie intake. It sounds like you have no choice but to be strict with your food intake at the moment.

Will a 60 minute yoga class burn calories like a 60 minute run? Definitely not. But yoga certainly builds strength. And frankly I think it's rude and ignorant that you scoff at it. Do you know the physical ability required to do the arm balances and back bends? I practice at least 4 times a week in addition to cross fit and other forms of exercise. It's an important part of my regime for strength, flexibility and balance. It's improved my athletic performance generally. I'm fit and I still find yoga to be physically challenging.

ETA - And don't start either of them until you have clearance from the physio. They can advice you on the best place to start. My physio place has rehab pilates and yoga taught by instructors who are also physios.
  • natasha2106
    Options
    Thanks for this x
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

So my question is finally …….

Does anyone know which exercise i.e yoga or pilates is the best one to start with for exercise low intensity purposes?

I have asked my physio but he keeps saying nothing yet, not allowed to go to the gym. But just looking to the future and would like to see what each one is about and which is probably the better one to choose.

I admittedly used to scoff at these classes, saying there is no way you can lose weight by reaching for the sky or trying to look like a bloody tree, but now with no choice i need to check out these classes. I am hopeful that i will eventually be able to perhaps go back to some of my classes of HIT training as I have a long way to go with my weight loss journey, but just want to start something of light to just lift my exercise mentality spirit and kerb my comfort eating frenzy I seem to have sunken into.

Sorry for such a lengthy message, it was mean't to be a very quick question. :):wink:

The best one to start with is the one your physio therapist says is OK. I say this having had a more minor back injury myself, and due to being hard headed delayed my recovery several times.

Yoga doesn't burn many calories, but involved a lot of stretching and some core work that my physio guy wanted me to do regardless to protect my back. I don't do it often, but do unique stretches that were given to me, and I should do daily. By doing my stretches and some yoga, I protect my back, and it allows me more exercise options such as biking, painless walking, upper body stuff, etc.

So in short, the yoga won't burn many calories, but may help open up other options that do burn calories better. Just DON'T do what I did. By being hard headed, I created more problems. My last episode I had spasms so bad they had to give me major muscle relaxers, which in turn made my stomach turn all day. Slowing down and listening to them probably would have prevented much of that. Be safe.... it's your back and a potential long term problem if you rush things!

• LavenderPinkOrange
    Options
    I had an artificial disc replacement in my L4L5. I had the injured disc for 4 years and met with a lot of spine doctors. All of them say: Pilates and NEVER yoga. Every single one advised I do Pilates after the surgery and before to strengthen core muscles, but they explicitly forbid yoga for anyone with back injury.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I've been doing pilates for years...mat pilates no reformers or special equipment. Here's what I would say:

1. do NOTHING until your Dr. releases you
    2. Go to a Pilates class...let your instructor know you are recovering from a back injury and they will ensure they provide modifications if and when necessary
    3. When you are doing it, if you hurt (other than muscle fatigue) stop and let the instructor know
    4. You will burn a few calories, core strength is the best...I feel taller from standing straighter, my husband says it helps him with snowboarding and wakeboarding

There is my free advice based on the experiences I've had with pilates instructors...many in our classes come with injuries and the instructors tend to check in with them throughout the class or help modify when necessary.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I think you should start looking for the right teacher. Look for someone that is willing to work with your injury and give you specific advice regarding your practice.
  • natasha2106
    Options
    Just thought I would follow up on what I have tried and tested now. I did pilates and the instructor was very very good, it was all mat and not a machine in sight. She told me which ones to not do and how to vary others to suit. I felt good and the very next day I could certainly feel the inner core had been worked, which is what the physio has asked for.
    I did a yoga class the following day and found this to not work with me, it was uncomfortable and most of the poses/stretches were not good for my back.

Thank you for all your valuable advice and yes I am following what the dr says every time.

Thanks
    x
  • fitrep1
    fitrep1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You can also add in aquatic classes to help regain range of motion, and core with little impact on your back.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you might want to try a restorative yoga class as opposed to traditional hatha or viynasa which are more common.

do not do without dr clearance
    do tell your instructor you are recovering from a back injury.
    poses that you can likely do at home given clearance
    legs up the wall-try to hold for at least a few min
    the rest hold for 5 breaths or as body allows
    child's pose
    thread the needle
    knee grab (and twist if the body allows)
    sphynx/cobra
    pigeon
    cat/cow
    seated twist
    wide legged forward fold