Juicing

Options
Has anyone tried juicing before? Is so, does it help with weight loss and does it actually work?

Replies

• vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a fan of juicing, its just sugar water. Sure it's full of nutrients but you lose all the fibre. You'd lose weight but probably because you're getting very few calories and you'll probably be left feeling pretty hungry.
  • myheartsabattleground
    Options
    No
    Don't
    Eww
    Gross
    Nasty.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Juice is sugar water with a few vitamins, but all the fiber and some other nutrients are taken out. It's a treat.

I drink smoothies, but they are also either treats or meal replacements because they have a lot of calories. Or I have a small portion as part of a meal. But even though they can be high calorie, you don't loose any fiber.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    How about just eat the items that you would put through a juicer? You juice things and lose all the fiber, which your body needs, unless of course you don't like having awesome poop.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree with all of the above. Why remove the fiber from really healthy foods instead of just eating them?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Juicing is, at best, unnecessary and can be very dangerous. Essentially, it is a VLCD (very low calorie diet) that keeps the carbs from the produce you juice but removes the fiber and many of the micronutrients.

Eat the produce instead, your body will thank you for it.
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Instead of juicing, how about turning those fruits and veggies into a smoothie? I love a good green smoothie in the morning!
  • chickiechickie
    chickiechickie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I juice when I have an overabundance of fruits and veggies and don't want them to go to waste. But yeah, sugar content is super high, so it's something I do once every few months.
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You can place whole fruits and veggies into a Ninja or Vitamix (anything like them). It will pretty much pulverize the food into a drinkable liquid. You will still have all the nutrients as if you just ate the produce. These drinks would make a great snack or morning pick me up.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    i wanted to start juicing (that is, blending veggies & fruit whole, so i get the fiber, too) but my husband is not wanting to spend the money on the "good" juicer just yet. he is having me drink smoothie king every day for 2 weeks and if i'm still "into it" he'll buy my vitamix! so far, i've had one every day for a week!
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Nettabee wrote: »
    Instead of juicing, how about turning those fruits and veggies into a smoothie? I love a good green smoothie in the morning!
    that is juicing to me. i guess i should call it smoothing. ;)
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Nettabee wrote: »
    that is juicing to me. i guess i should call it smoothing. ;)

The common term is "blending". Juicing separates the juice from the pulp. Blending (if into a smoothie or some other drink) is using the produce whole and mushing it up.

• honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You're better off eating the veggies than juicing them, but if you can't bring yourself to eat vegetables, juice them instead but it's just basically a drink and won't fill you up and will still have a fair few calories.
  • KimmyKicksAss
    KimmyKicksAss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love my Blendtec. Love my morning SMOOTHIE That's how I get so much greens in a day.

I agree with the comments of juicing vs. blending. It's better to blend to get all those fiber.

In the beginning, I started with a 1:3 veggie to fruit ratio. Now it's more like 4:1 veggie to fruit. So whenever I try those samples from Blendtec and Vitamix demos, I find them SUPER sweet. Whichever one you choose depends on your preference. I have used mine for almost 3 years now!
  • arlshar
    arlshar Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use my magic bullet sometimes, keeps all the fiber, I just bought spinach today, didn't see any fruit I wanted, so gonna puree the spinach with a container of yogurt. Not feeling well, so perfect when not up to chewing alot.
  • arlshar
    arlshar Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Otherwise sometimes I use spinach with a half banana, blueberries, really you can mix many different types together. In the winter use the bullet to puree veggies and heat in micro for soup.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but the idea of blending spinach and yogurt and then drinking it, made me the slightest bit queasy. Now I did eat both yogurt and spinach today: The yogurt by itself alongside some nice ripe strawberries. And then a spinach salad for dinner with some chicken, glazed walnuts and raspberry vinaigrette. To my mind, nothing replaces eating well-prepared, tasty and attractive food.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but the idea of blending spinach and yogurt and then drinking it, made me the slightest bit queasy. Now I did eat both yogurt and spinach today: The yogurt by itself alongside some nice ripe strawberries. And then a spinach salad for dinner with some chicken, glazed walnuts and raspberry vinaigrette. To my mind, nothing replaces eating well-prepared, tasty and attractive food.

I put spinach my smoothie everyday, you can't taste it at all.
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Every morning or later in the day I have an apple, raw baby carrots, raw tomato and raw spinach smoothie blended in my Vitamix. I do remove the core from the apple but otherwise it's all in there. I first blend the carrots with some water and add the quartered apple and blend a couple seconds then add the quartered tomato and keep all the seeds in it. Blend a couple more seconds and add a good size packed handful of spinach and ice then blend it all again. Yummy with all the fiber included.

Sometimes I change up and make a banana peanut butter smoothie with spinach added too. Sure it's green but it tastes great. I take 6 almonds soaked overnight in water and rinse them off then throw them whole with skin into the Vitamix. I add some water and blend until smooth with the result being homemade almond milk. Then I add frozen bananas and single ingredient peanut butter, I blend a few seconds and add a good packed handful of spinach and ice then blend again Another yummy with all the fiber included. I usually do this because my husband doesn't like the other smoothie too much and I want him to eat something before he goes to work so if he is willing I make one of these for him.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    As an aside, the nutrients in some veggies are more bioavailable if the veggies are cooked rather than raw. Spinach, carrots, tomatoes, and the cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts, etc) all pack a bigger micronutrient punch if they are cooked first. You definitely don't get the best from juicing them. Some need the fibrous part to be broken down in order to allow the nutrients to be absorbed, so maybe blending them to liquid might do that (heat brings out the nutrients in other ways for others). I don't know, but juicing definitely doesn't.