89KG - Calorie intake for Weight Loss MFP vs Websites

Options
TLB86
TLB86 Posts: 275 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey peepcicles

I am a 29 y/o female weighing in at 89kg. I work out 4 x a week (bootcamp, cardio/weights session x 2 & a 4 mile jog).
I have been eating around 1450 calories a day in order to lose 0.5kg but nada. Yes I am gaining muscle and feeling better but no real changes or inch loss. And yes I have a cheat meal on a Friday and possibly ruin the Sunday but I don't seem to over eat so much it has a knock on effect to the week for the amount of workouts I do. And I mean I train hard when I do train, I can hardly breath during bootcamp!

Could I be kidding myself or am I eating to little calories that the workouts actually put me below my recommended TDEE? Maybe my breakfast sugars are to high(they are all natural though)?

Can I ask if anyone is around a similar weight and what calories you are eating around to lose.

MFP has advised me to eat 1500 calories to lose 2lbs a week with an 'active' activity level yet other websites 1700 or even more.

I am trying to figure out a healthy calorie intake to re-focus on losing weight again. I am in the right mind set so just need to sort my goals!

Thanks in advance o:)

Replies

• Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi, I think that probably your cheat meals on Friday and Sunday (did you mean the whole day?) ruin the effort you put during the rest of the week.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Pick a number, do it for a month, if no results take a couple of hundred off the number, repeat until weight loss happens.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You don't not lose weight by eating to little. Remember, MFP gives you a base, then you earn additional calories through exercise. If you're not losing, you're not in a deficit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    One other thing. With so little to lose, you should have your goal set to lose 1 pound a week, not 2.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Pick a number, do it for a month, if no results take a couple of hundred off the number, repeat until weight loss happens.

All sugars are natural, for the record.
  • TLB86
    Options

All sugars are natural, for the record.

Sorry I meant refined or what ever they say not to eat. My sugars come from berries and honey but been told to cut honey out.
  • TLB86
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    One other thing. With so little to lose, you should have your goal set to lose 1 pound a week, not 2.

I'd like to lose around 25lbs to be happy and maintain from then on. You recon this is little a little amount and do 1lb?

BTW I appreciate all your advice and comments
  • TLB86
    Options
    Artemiris wrote: »
    Hi, I think that probably your cheat meals on Friday and Sunday (did you mean the whole day?) ruin the effort you put during the rest of the week.

Cheat MEAL on a Friday & then may mess the whole day Sunday up so yes it's possible I average and mess the week up doing it. I understand it's only Wednesday but I have started a new this week after a weeks holiday, re-focused and getting serious about losing another dress size!!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    are you weighing your food on a scale? Are you eating back exercise calories? if so, how many and how are you calculating your burn?

My guess without seeing your diary (as always, for ANYONE), would be you are eating more than you THINK you are....
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    TLB86 wrote: »

Cheat MEAL on a Friday & then may mess the whole day Sunday up so yes it's possible I average and mess the week up doing it. I understand it's only Wednesday but I have started a new this week after a weeks holiday, re-focused and getting serious about losing another dress size!!

There's nothing wrong with treating yourself a bit on the weekend, as long as you log it as accurately and honestly as you can, and factor it into your weekly calories.
    Chances are you are not gaining muscle if you are eating in deficit, so unfortunately, if you're not losing weight, it's because you are not eating less than you burn.
    Your body doesn't know the difference between one type of sugar and another. It also doesn't care when you eat sugar, breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc. Sugar is not inherently evil, but as in all things, sensible moderate consumption is key.

Pretty simply, whatever the numbers you are eating now, if you aren't losing weight, are too high. To lose weight, either eat less, or move more (eating less works better, easier to not eat 100 calories than burn it etc.) Don't be drastic, but reduce and then be consistent for at least a few weeks and see what happens. Then continue, either dropping further, increasing, or staying with it.
  • TLB86
    Options
    I do weight my food with electronic scales however as stated I can have a cheat Sunday which could be my demon! I have set my calorie intake now, via MFP, at an active level so I won't eat back any calories. *Lightbulb moment* Thinking about it I may of had my deficit set at active before but then ate back my workouts :s
  • TLB86
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »

There's nothing wrong with treating yourself a bit on the weekend, as long as you log it as accurately and honestly as you can, and factor it into your weekly calories.
    Chances are you are not gaining muscle if you are eating in deficit, so unfortunately, if you're not losing weight, it's because you are not eating less than you burn.
    Your body doesn't know the difference between one type of sugar and another. It also doesn't care when you eat sugar, breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc. Sugar is not inherently evil, but as in all things, sensible moderate consumption is key.

Pretty simply, whatever the numbers you are eating now, if you aren't losing weight, are too high. To lose weight, either eat less, or move more (eating less works better, easier to not eat 100 calories than burn it etc.) Don't be drastic, but reduce and then be consistent for at least a few weeks and see what happens. Then continue, either dropping further, increasing, or staying with it.

Total sense!!! I have set my deficit at 1500 calories (via MFP) and will not eat any calories back as I have already set it to 'Active 3-5 workouts a week'. Why have I been so blind, stupid and greedy. As I state above I think I have been eating back calories even though I've incorporated them into my deficit!!! I will stick at this for 2 weeks and see what my progress is.

Hopefully I CAN drop a dress size or two for May 2016. Thank you again, I don't mind advice and constructive criticism as we all need it from time to time.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »

Total sense!!! I have set my deficit at 1500 calories (via MFP) and will not eat any calories back as I have already set it to 'Active 3-5 workouts a week'. Why have I been so blind, stupid and greedy. As I state above I think I have been eating back calories even though I've incorporated them into my deficit!!! I will stick at this for 2 weeks and see what my progress is.

Hopefully I CAN drop a dress size or two for May 2016. Thank you again, I don't mind advice and constructive criticism as we all need it from time to time.

Brilliant attitude! Keep that determination and open mind, and you've totally got this.