Fitness Rant

Options
daross16
daross16 Posts: 107 Member
edited September 2015 in Motivation and Support
I hate exercising. I've done everything to make it exciting: I've made a workout playlist, I've downloaded an audiobook, or flip flop between weights and cardio, I'll go to my apartment's gym, I'll workout outside, I'll go swimming at the pool, I'll go with a friend. All of it is so dull and in the end, I'm sore and my hair is all f-ed up, sometimes I forget I'm wearing eye make-up and it'll drip into my eye, and I'm just miserable from start to end whether I am taking it easy or I am working my butt off. It's just ugh. I hate it. I wanna lay in bed with my laptop and play video games.
And this whole food thing. I'm finding that too many carbs is messing me up. Carbs and sugar for some reason are my enemy and if I have too much of it my whole digestion is all bad (like there is a bunch of TMI stuff going on), it just makes me fat, it's just bad all around. So i'm trying to cut down on carbs, sugar, and calories. AND I WANT TO FIGHT SOMEBODY. I'll be on way from school thinking, "Gee I sure would love a milkshake." Or at home like "Gee, I could really go for bread. LOTS of bread. Chips, bagels, cereal, sandwiches. Mmm. Sounds great." But I stop myself and I drink some tea or have some kale chips or an apple and it just makes me so damn angry. All I want is to drown myself in ice cream and eggo waffles. Instead I go and be sad at the gym and run a sad mile, then have my sad vegetables, and my sad chicken, and drink my sad water, and eat my sad mixed nuts. I know today I had a very filling breakfast shake. Like I was full even when it was time for lunch. But I just wanted a big *kitten* chocolate muffin and a chai tea latte with soy :'(
FML. I keep telling everyone I'm just eating healthier and trying to take care of my body but I really do feel like I am "DIE"ting. And that just adds to my normal everyday frustrations because I'm ill-tempered, constantly tense, always tired in every possible way, and so on.
Also, I am frustrated that I'm not sure if I'm working out enough or eating enough because sometimes I'm just not hungry but I'm still a fatty. I'm doing weight stuff and cardio stuff and I just want some nice legs, Michelle Obama arms, and to maybe fit into some clothes I wanted.
WHICH BRINGS UP ANOTHER THING. I'm too small for plus size, and then too large for "Regular" sizes. What is my life?
I know weight loss takes awhile, but I'm just like, come oooon. I lost one inch in my hips? That's all? Really? WOW. I've read all the articles about you need to lift weights, you need to not eat too many calories, don't underestimate calories, you're not losing cause you're lazy and lying to yourself, blah blah blah blah. THANKS authors. Your sarcasm is really helping me out. Eat my shorts.

OKAY. That is all. Just needed to write about that.

Replies

• rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Feel better now?
  • daross16
    Options
    I'm pissed off that I watch my friends eating loads of top ramen and ice cream and just a lot of microwave stuff and they're all skinny and complain that they're fat when they get bloated, then they work out for a couple days and are back to normal. It takes everything in my whole body to not just cuss them out.
    I also hate how my grocery bill is so much higher when I buy fresh food.
    And I really want some Captain Crunch and wine. I hate sports bras and the only time I lose a lot of weight is when I have the flu or something crazy and that's just unfair.

I think I'm good now.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Haha this made my laugh, not at you, just the way you wrote it. I definitely remember feeling like this and I'm sure many on MFP have.

For exercise just keep trying different things until you find something you don't hate. There has to be SOME kind of movement you enjoy. You mentioned video games, for me when I started the ONLY workout I could stand to do was a video game... dance dance revolution. :smiley: and guess what? I lost weight! There are also fun classes you could do like dance classes, etc. I found I love kickboxing classes because they make me feel like a bada**.

As for the food it doesn't have to all be "sad" food that you don't enjoy. Look up some fun healthy recipes and try different ones out. And definitely allow a treat here or there - that latte, for example. If you get it with the right ingredients, that doesn't have to blow your calorie goal for the day. Maybe don't have a huge chocolate muffin for breakfast... But a few squares of chocolate as a bedtime snack, sure!

This is about finding a lifestyle you can stick with long term. If you can't do that you won't be able to reach your goals. So hang in there and figure out what works for you. Many of us have been where you are and made it through. If you had told me years ago that I would become "the fit one" in my group of friends I would've laughed until I peed myself. But they'll all be cheering me on as I run the NYC marathon this year...

Good luck, and you can do this!! :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ok, good.
  • daross16
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I really love soccer. I played soccer for like..I dunno..9 years? But since moving to college I have made zero athletic friends who wanna go out and do stuff like that. I wanna join the casual soccer team, I just have like a thousand irrational fears that I need to suck up and get over. I can be outgoing sometimes! But just throwing myself in to a group that I dunno if I'll fit in and be liked..like that makes me wanna throw up kinda. I'm also afraid I've lost all my skill and I'll embarrass myself somehow or another. Or cry. I'll more likely cry, honestly. Not in front of them, but maybe on the phone with my mom.
    But yeah. I'm trying to find a bearable lifestyle. I just gotta be more patient.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Two things that I would have to say after reading your post.... ok, three.

1) Mindset is a HUGE part of weightloss... and with life in general. The fact that you've already decided that you hate exercise, all kinds and any form is setting you up to be miserable. I mean can you really tell me that you hate EVERY type of exercise? You don't feel even a LITTLE bit better after working out? i know for me there are definitely types that i don't really like to do, but I do them because they will make me better conditioned for the things that i love to do. And usually after I get through it, I can admit that it wasn't that bad, even if I had to whine about it the whole time I was doing it.

The fact that you have eliminated things that you really enjoy from your diet is making it much more difficult and is setting you up to be miserable and even give up altogether. Finding a balance between what you like and what you need to do is something that is in all stages of life and should also apply to your food choices. Maybe for you, it's one day a week that you can have your ice cream or muffin and chai, maybe it's finding a way to incorporate a treat every day, like splitting the muffin into quarters and having one quarter a day (I need to put it out of sight after I take my allotted portion to keep from eating all of it). But denying yourself altogether is not usually the most effective (for some people it is, but not the majority). So, i guess the point of this part is this: Change your attitude to change your experience.

2) Patience is key. You didn't get to the weight that you are at overnight, so losing it is not going to happen overnight. And, an inch in the hips is actually a big deal. that's great progress! It sounds like you've read a lot about it so I know you know that patience is important. I also know that patience is probably one of the hardest parts about many things in life. But, if you're seeing results and it's just not going as quickly as you'd like, don't give up. Shows like Biggest loser have really skewed people's perception on what acceptable weight loss rates are. In reality, a healthy, sustainable weight loss takes time and should come with a learning curve of figuring out how to lose while changing your habits. Which leads me to my final thought:

3) Self talk can be the most damaging or the most rewarding. in your OP you refer to yourself as a fatty numerous times. Now, i'm not going to pretend that i don't also talk down to myself in my head, because that would be a lie. But how you talk to yourself dictates how you think, feel, and how you move about the world. It can change perspectives on every interaction you have throughout the day, and it can affect your weight loss just as much as a cupcake can (not literally adding calories, but it will change your decisions about food). So my final thought is to change how you talk to yourself. this is something that i struggle with and I am constantly working on, but on the days when i can be nicer to myself I make better choices and I feel better in general.
  • Pastela
    Pastela Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle changes can be extremely difficult, and even though I have lost around 40 lbs by eating well and exercising I go through days where I get very frustrated. Don't feel discouraged!

Exercise- I understand exercise is not the most enjoyable thing to do sometime. Sometimes to get myself through a workout I remind myself why I am doing it and how it is going to really benefit me in the future. How long do you usually workout? I would start just doing some time of exercise for a short period of time like 30 mins which really isn't a lot of time. Or you could break that 30 mins up into 15 mins of activity. Experiment with different exercises and find the one you enjoy most, and don't view it as a chore. If you are going into exercising with a negative attitude you are going to have a bad time. It should be fun!

Get yourself prepared to exercise. Buy cute workout clothes (they don't have to be expensive!). I find lots of cute tanks and yoga pants on sale all the time. Wash off your makeup. Sometimes just looking the part to exercise is a good motivational booster in itself.

Also, the good thing is that you can still sit on your laptop and play video games! You just have to create time for exercise and balance it with your other activities. I still surf a web a lot in the evenings after I do my evening workout.

Diet- I think dietary changes are more difficult than exercising honestly. Sometimes I get really moody when I don't eat certain foods I like. The key here is moderation. You can still have chips! Just portion out the servings of chips so you are not eating too much. Make sure you are getting enough protein, complex carbs, and good fats in order to not feel hungry all day. Don't deny yourself all of the foods you love but rather be mindful of portion sizes. I typically aim to have a diet where I eat healthy 80% of the time and allow the other 20% for junk. There's also tons of food substitutes out there for many kinds of junk food. A lot of dietary changes is trial and error and finding balance. You don't have to eat the same thing everyday. Research recipes and experiment. It's a lot of fun!

Finally, changes will take time! It takes a little while to see your body change from exercising and eating better. It's not going to happen quickly within a week or so. Just keep being consistent with your efforts and you will see some changes! You have to have perseverance and a positive attitude to do this. Do not get discouraged! It's not an easy process, so please do not be hard on yourself. There's not a single diet/exercise plan that is going to work for everyone. A lot of my changes came from a mixture of experimentation and picking up tips from different people.

Things will get better with time. You will have more energy and feel better. If you ever need any support or encouragement feel free to send me a message. I know how hard this can be.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    LaurenAOK wrote: »
    Haha this made my laugh, not at you, just the way you wrote it. I definitely remember feeling like this and I'm sure many on MFP have.

For exercise just keep trying different things until you find something you don't hate. There has to be SOME kind of movement you enjoy. You mentioned video games, for me when I started the ONLY workout I could stand to do was a video game... dance dance revolution. :smiley: and guess what? I lost weight! There are also fun classes you could do like dance classes, etc. I found I love kickboxing classes because they make me feel like a bada**.

As for the food it doesn't have to all be "sad" food that you don't enjoy. Look up some fun healthy recipes and try different ones out. And definitely allow a treat here or there - that latte, for example. If you get it with the right ingredients, that doesn't have to blow your calorie goal for the day. Maybe don't have a huge chocolate muffin for breakfast... But a few squares of chocolate as a bedtime snack, sure!

This is about finding a lifestyle you can stick with long term. If you can't do that you won't be able to reach your goals. So hang in there and figure out what works for you. Many of us have been where you are and made it through. If you had told me years ago that I would become "the fit one" in my group of friends I would've laughed until I peed myself. But they'll all be cheering me on as I run the NYC marathon this year...

Good luck, and you can do this!! :)
    DDR is hella fun.

You really got this. I've been there. Being cranky and snapping at everyone and just HATING that you aren't seeing the results you want RIGHT F**KING NOW! :rage::rage:

It's okay. It gets better. I still CRAVE potato chips (usually A LOT more around TOM) and I get the runs after I eat them(TMI, I know). I just weigh it and log it and make it fit in the calories.

I did NOT enjoy ANY form of exercise until I lost about 25 pounds. Then I started doing Jillian Michael's DVDs (30 day shred and ripped in 30) I didn't finish ANY of those. HATED it. But I watched my intake, weighed and logged everything that went into my mouth. Found some epic recipes online and started cooking. I have a passion for it just like my dad used to. It's not the same as exercise but maybe for you, focusing on making the intake of calories less "sad" and more enjoyable would be better than exercise that you hate.

Now many months after I started I'm about 25-29 pounds from my goal and I enjoy running and lifting and the fact that I have come so far and can test myself everyday.
  • juliebowling1
    juliebowling1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love this post. Sometimes we just have to vent or rant and say what we really feel! That darn food industry has done a fantastic job of calculating the bliss point. That magical ratio of fat/sugar/ salt that keeps us jonesing for more. And people who try to tell you that a cauliflower pizza crust is just as delicious as the a regular pizza crust are NUTS!
    Seriously, sometimes it's hard to keep our momentum to stay with it. But it's worth it! Feeling healthy. Fitting into those pants that we couldn't zip up before. Being able to get up the stairs without your heart pounding in your chest. It's all worth it.
    So go ahead and rant. But once you've let it all out then remember why you started. And then keep going.
    We're all in the same boat! Good luck!
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Regarding joining a casual soccer team:

I recently joined a swim team and I only just learned how to swim. I suck, but it's fun, I get better every day, and the group is super supportive. You'll find that casual adult sports teams tend to be less competitive than, say, your local high school team. Just go, let them know you're rusty, and have fun.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    daross16 wrote: »
    AND I WANT TO FIGHT SOMEBODY.

Well do that then. Try boxing. Or martial arts. What about Kendo - that looks awesome!

I was just thinking last night that I used to love fencing (the sport, not putting up wood and stuff) at school but for some unknown reason I stopped doing it (well, the reason was I became a student and far more interested in drinking beer and chasing girls but whatevs...)

Feel better soon ;)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I've had days like that. First - you are beautiful and worth the time and effort to eat right right and exercise. If you want to punch something get on a pair of gloves and get a good workout. You can do this. :)
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    daross16 wrote: »
    AND I WANT TO FIGHT SOMEBODY.

Well do that then. Try boxing. Or martial arts. What about Kendo - that looks awesome!

I was just thinking last night that I used to love fencing (the sport, not putting up wood and stuff) at school but for some unknown reason I stopped doing it (well, the reason was I became a student and far more interested in drinking beer and chasing girls but whatevs...)

Feel better soon ;)

Do this ^ cause you seem to have some issues with your anger. Maybe you need to get your frustration out boxing is a great stress reliever and get a good work out in while you do it.

You sound like you use food for comfort and think of healthier food as a horrible punishment. I think you need to start enjoying what you eat. Find stuff that is healthier and tastes good try some spices.

Not everything about this lifestyle is sad. By saying that you are setting yourself up to fail.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I really do hope the rant helped because sometimes that's the best thing we can do for ourselves, get out the negative crap in our brains.

If there is a soccer league close enough to you go sign up. My hairdresser and her mom play on a league and it's full of people of all ages and fitness levels and both she and her mom love it. It's dual purpose, you'll meet new people and it'll bring you an activity back into your life that you enjoy.

Food doesn't have to be sad. I think you're probably restricting yourself a bit too much. I drink lattes, I ask for a "skinny" version and if that's not possible just order fat free. You can avoid the bakery section of the coffee shop by bring your own, the small fiber one brownies are 90 calories and no they aren't a big chocolate muffin but it'll give you the taste you're looking for, the latte and bakery combo. As for chicken, spice it up or heck if you don't like chicken eat turkey or pork just work with the foods you enjoy and modify the sauces and side dishes.

Remove your makeup before exercising, you don't need it anyway and find a punching bag to pound on just protect your hands with some gloves. :wink:

On soccer night if you still want that chai tea latte with soy have it, that can be your reward for going outside your comfort zone. In the beginning who knows that might be what gets you to the arena/field and you just might find a friend to join you at the coffee shop.