How often do you log your loss?

Options
Quick question for the seasoned folks. How often do you log your weight loss? Eveytime you get on the scale? Weekly? Not at all?

The last time I used MFP I lost 40lbs, but I also went bat-s*** crazy with the scale. So this go around I took a starting weight and decided to put the scale away in the attic. Out of sight out of mind right? :/

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. I keep those daily numbers in a spreadsheet. I log it on MFP once a week.

If weighing makes you crazy, try the scale in the attic. Maybe try weighing once a month and then putting it back. I tend to think that doing the same thing (i.e., eating the same calorie level) for 3-4 weeks before tweaking anything is a good practice so if you weigh once a month and then tweak your calories up/down based on that, you'll be on a good course.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week - it gives me motivation for the next week!
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I thought about once every other week or once a month. I feel the first week gives false hope lol, and weight fluctuates so much that sometimes even once a week can be deceiving....especially for women!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If it's going to make you nuts, start with once a week.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning & write it on the calendar so I can easily look back a few weeks, or a month.
    I log it here only when I've lost weight. (Yes, that's my scale & those are my toes in my ticker pic.)
    But other than for amusement, I only weigh once a day.
    Amusement? Yep. Like before & after an hour of shoveling heavy snow. Lost almost 2 lb once, IIRC.
    Of course, once I had a couple glasses of water it all came back. :sigh:

51637601.png
  • jemhh
    Options
    Nettabee wrote: »
    I thought about once every other week or once a month. I feel the first week gives false hope lol, and weight fluctuates so much that sometimes even once a week can be deceiving....especially for women!

I do think that the first week gives a lot of people false hope. But you are experienced at weight loss so at least you won't be completely snowed by that first big loss. And it's good that you realize how your weight can fluctuate during the month. I really wish that more women understood how their menstrual cycles affect their weight, even when they are carefully tracking calories.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week and record my weight that day whether it is a loss or not. It is enough information for me.
    I take body measurements once a month and a progress photo.
    I try on my test jeans once a month to see how they are fitting.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I log every time I step on the scale. I'm busy, so that happens sometimes once per week, sometimes 3 times, sometimes 0 times.

Here's what I've found: I weigh the least on Sat. morning post-shower. I don't know why showering makes me weigh less, it just does. I don't know why Sat. morning is different, but it is...

I weigh the most on weeknights.
  • MrPriolos
    MrPriolos Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I tinker with my diet and calories constantly. so I weight each morning to see what makes me hold water, or what didn't work.. but I log once per week or so
  • jemhh
    Options
    I log every time I step on the scale. I'm busy, so that happens sometimes once per week, sometimes 3 times, sometimes 0 times.

Here's what I've found: I weigh the least on Sat. morning post-shower. I don't know why showering makes me weigh less, it just does. I don't know why Sat. morning is different, but it is...

I weigh the most on weeknights.

That is interesting. I weigh more after the shower because of the water in my hair.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week (Friday morning!) and log then too :]
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I weigh myself once a week and record my weight that day whether it is a loss or not. It is enough information for me.

I use to have a pair of pants I bought too small and tried them on once every couple weeks until they fit (zipped, buttoned and all) and that was a great feeling! Thanks for that reminder, I have another pair of pants I can do this with again.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i log my weight weekly. loss, gain, whatever....
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I "officially" weigh in once a week on Wednesdays. I was doing every two weeks when I switched over to maintaining for a while but bumped it up when I started actively losing again.

When I first started I did it daily, but I was using a WiiFit for exercise and it was easy. I liked it at the time for the sake of seeing how weight trends rather than moves linearly, but I wouldn't want to do it anymore. Especially because now I use a dial scale, so small amounts aren't as noticeable to me.

That said, I do sometimes check in during the week after a particularly high- or low-calorie day to see what's up. (Also, my special dudefriend has a digital scale, so sometimes I'll weigh over there to see if it reads about the same as my dial one.)
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Nettabee wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »

I use to have a pair of pants I bought too small and tried them on once every couple weeks until they fit (zipped, buttoned and all) and that was a great feeling! Thanks for that reminder, I have another pair of pants I can do this with again.

I'm a huge proponent of the goal clothes (assuming clothes is a goal -- was for me, lol). I have a few shirts in the back of the closet that I try on every so often to see if they're closer to fitting in the arms and closing well. Bit by bit, they get closer. :D
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Once a week after getting the Sunday papers. Daily flucuations used to drive me less than sane.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I log my weight every Monday morning - whether it be up, down or the same.
  • MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I jump on the scale naked every morning after using the restroom, brushing my teeth, and washing my face--creature of habit, I guess. But regardless of what the scale says, gain or loss, I always log my weight. However, if it made me go insane to weigh everyday, I'd only weigh once every other week or so. :)
  • stevepaul0404
    stevepaul0404 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Weigh myself every Tuesday morning before working out then log it.
  • Wetterdew
    Wetterdew Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Until this week, I only weighed myself every month or two. But I just bought a scale, so now I do it every day. I will average every week's weight measurements and use that as a more stable ruler of progress.