MapMyWalk APP

Options
In your opinion is the app accurate when adding up calories burned?

It's my 1st time using this app and the data says I burned 398 walking for 50 mins

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Victœria wrote: »
    In your opinion is the app accurate when adding up calories burned?

It's my 1st time using this app and the data says I burned 398 walking for 50 mins

No, when comparing MapMyWalk/Run/Ride/Fitness etc... to other calculators that are known to be accurate (ScoobysWorkshop), the MapMy... line way overestimates burns. In fact, for an 18.5 ride I took last weekend, the program almost doubled what everyone else said.

I still like using them for the GPS function though. As long as they remain free to use, that's good enough for me. I can figure actual burns out with other sources.

ETA: There are instances when they're more accurate than others. For my lunch runs, they're usually only 20-30 cals off what Scoobys says. Just take any results with a grain of salt and be careful when judging how much to eat back. (I only eat back half, at most. For my ride, I ate back 400 cals, when MapMyRide said I burned almost 1200 and everyone else said I burned 500-600.)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Not even close.
  • Victœria
    Victœria Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    That's what I thought.
  • jsmestflowers
    jsmestflowers Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above statements - it calculates a lot more than anything else I use.