110lbs down 20 months

Options
I_am_nk
I_am_nk Posts: 7 Member
edited September 2015 in Success Stories
npqww2ha1y53.jpg
bo6tiwqhqj82.jpg

I wanted to share this to MFP forums since MFP has been a cornerstone in my success.
I had become more and more depressed my last 2 years of college. After graduation I had an incredibly difficult time the first year with my job search, things were looking grim and I fell into a deep depression. January 2014 came and like everyone else I was determined to make a change. I no longer wanted the depression, anxiety, and bad thoughts to have control over my life. This year was going to be different, I was going to make the change to positive thoughts and being the best version of myself I could be.

That was the start of my long journey and I had no idea how difficult it would be. Just a few months in my relationship of 5+ years had rapidly deteriorated into a negative aspect of my life. Over time people change, the person I wanted to be was just not compatible with the person my SO had become. It upsets me to this day. I didn't want to slide back into old habits so I kept up with my goals and tried to remain positive.

A few months later a mentor and neighbor of mine, the man who may have been the most responsible for me earning my degree passed from brain cancer. I decided to return to school and finish two Associate's Degrees. During this time a long time professor of mine encouraged me to apply to graduate school for Demography. I set up a meeting with the head of the Department and a professor of mine and felt we had a great meeting and I was excited to apply. They also connected me with a few students in the program that I could talk to and get an idea of how things would be. January of this year comes around and I had filled out approximately 100 applications and 1 grad school application. As it would turn out I would be rejected from grad school. But I didn't just give up. I emailed the faculty supervisor of the grad program and pleaded my case. Twice. No response. I stuck to my plan and focused on my goals and never missed a day of calorie counts and workouts.

Most recently the family dog, Tucker, passed away at only 6 years old from lymphoma. It was a very difficult time for me and my family but I stayed determined not to let myself slip back and lose all the progress I felt Ive made. I am still determined to improve my grad school resume and reapply for the Demography program as currently I am about to finish my third Associate's Degree in addition to my Bachelor's. I have also begun working with a career counselor and to date have filled out ~120 applications on USA jobs and ~2 dozen private companies. To fill my time I also love to read and read about 3 books a month, currently I am finishing my last two Malcolm Gladwell books. Currently I am working full time as an electrician and going to school, working with my professor on my grad resume, and my career counselor on my professional life. It has been difficult to keep from sliding back into the depressive person I once was. I have to remind myself to stay positive and think about how far I have come, and who I want to be.

my reddit post

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hard work is what it takes and amazing transformation!! Good for you!! Thanks for sharing :)
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Congrats - you look great! Things will work out with your career. You seem determined and intelligent - just keep going.
  • ajgordo150
    ajgordo150 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and keep trying :):)

• woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    @I_am_nk, You have moved mountains and you just have to keep on climbing. Fantastic job. Be proud of yourself!
  • jeanniebeanie59
    jeanniebeanie59 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Wow!! you should be so proud of yourself ... a big inspiration to me this morning!!
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You've done an amazing job despite all that you've been through. You should be so proud and definitely keep pushing for your goals!
  • MissFlawed
    MissFlawed Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Keep on going, you are a true inspiration!! (And a true hottie if I may say so)
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Well done - you have a great mind set and a solid support system. The world is yours!
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Holy crap you look awesome :blush:
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! You killed it!
  • Neshmi
    Neshmi Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Pretty serious amount of dedication right there. Awesome transformation.

Any grad program, or company for that matter, will be lucky to get you.
  • ToshaLyn
    ToshaLyn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You are a complete inspiration. Congrats on all of your success.
  • believeinme0430
    believeinme0430 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You are a true inspiration. Keep moving forward you have soo many great things to come :)
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    What an accomplishment! Wish you the best with your plans.
  • youmeandthesea
    youmeandthesea Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success! Amazing transformation!
  • cmsu64113
    cmsu64113 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Insane! Great job man!!!
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    OMG I can't begin to tell you how much I can relate to your post , I'm so glad you are staying strong ! You are the definition of awesome \O/ #bravo
  • LisaPrust
    LisaPrust Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOSH !!! Awesome job! You should be so proud of your self--the hard work, the determination not to give in to despair even tho you have been so tempted! Your story is a beautiful inspiration! Thanks for sharing with us!
  • tgiggles
    tgiggles Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Omg I can so relate, except I am not looking this good...yet. my dad passed away from brain cancer, I graduated with my MBA with a concentration in health care administration... since May I have applied to at least 150 jobs but I've only been getting good calls back for sales jobs... my husband is the only one working and he is working towards his bachelor's in accounting right now.... life is so stressful, but I've learned to pray let Go and Let God... sounds cliché I know but that's what I'm doing and working on my physical self. Great post and thank you!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I_am_nk wrote: »
    npqww2ha1y53.jpg
    bo6tiwqhqj82.jpg

I wanted to share this to MFP forums since MFP has been a cornerstone in my success.
    I had become more and more depressed my last 2 years of college. After graduation I had an incredibly difficult time the first year with my job search, things were looking grim and I fell into a deep depression. January 2014 came and like everyone else I was determined to make a change. I no longer wanted the depression, anxiety, and bad thoughts to have control over my life. This year was going to be different, I was going to make the change to positive thoughts and being the best version of myself I could be.

That was the start of my long journey and I had no idea how difficult it would be. Just a few months in my relationship of 5+ years had rapidly deteriorated into a negative aspect of my life. Over time people change, the person I wanted to be was just not compatible with the person my SO had become. It upsets me to this day. I didn't want to slide back into old habits so I kept up with my goals and tried to remain positive.

A few months later a mentor and neighbor of mine, the man who may have been the most responsible for me earning my degree passed from brain cancer. I decided to return to school and finish two Associate's Degrees. During this time a long time professor of mine encouraged me to apply to graduate school for Demography. I set up a meeting with the head of the Department and a professor of mine and felt we had a great meeting and I was excited to apply. They also connected me with a few students in the program that I could talk to and get an idea of how things would be. January of this year comes around and I had filled out approximately 100 applications and 1 grad school application. As it would turn out I would be rejected from grad school. But I didn't just give up. I emailed the faculty supervisor of the grad program and pleaded my case. Twice. No response. I stuck to my plan and focused on my goals and never missed a day of calorie counts and workouts.

Most recently the family dog, Tucker, passed away at only 6 years old from lymphoma. It was a very difficult time for me and my family but I stayed determined not to let myself slip back and lose all the progress I felt Ive made. I am still determined to improve my grad school resume and reapply for the Demography program as currently I am about to finish my third Associate's Degree in addition to my Bachelor's. I have also begun working with a career counselor and to date have filled out ~120 applications on USA jobs and ~2 dozen private companies. To fill my time I also love to read and read about 3 books a month, currently I am finishing my last two Malcolm Gladwell books. Currently I am working full time as an electrician and going to school, working with my professor on my grad resume, and my career counselor on my professional life. It has been difficult to keep from sliding back into the depressive person I once was. I have to remind myself to stay positive and think about how far I have come, and who I want to be.

my reddit post

Hello cutie, you were cute either way but now dam! haha

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!