Running: how late is too late?

Options
Is there a time of day/night that you find inappropriate for running outside?
Or, maybe, any other situations where you see a runner and go "why on earth is he/she doing this"? :smirk:

Replies

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters as long as you have appropriate safety gear for hours when the sun is down or running in snowy/icy/extreme conditions.

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters as long as you have appropriate safety gear for hours when the sun is down or running in snowy/icy/extreme conditions.

Agreed. As long as you can be reasonably safe, no time is a bad time, IMO.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Same as above... although i did have that reaction when I saw a runner running in the middle of the street during a snow storm last year. I mean, its one thing to be dedicated and get it in when you can fit it in, but it's another thing to be completely reckless about it
  • adnamalegna
    adnamalegna Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    For me personally I never think anything but "Man, way to go!" no matter when or where I see someone running. LOL
    I personally like going in the evening after work, before it gets too late but after the traffic dies down- around 6-7pm. I'll have to adjust after the time changes but Evenings work best for me. I cannot persuade myself on weekdays to get up any earlier to go run..lol I like my teensy bit of rest I get entirely too much!!!
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    I could run up and down the main street of my small Ontario town (15,000 people) all night long because it is well lit. I wouldn't do that in Toronto, no matter how many lights were on. I think the question should be where and when, not just when.
  • ishepelska
    ishepelska Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Same as above... although i did have that reaction when I saw a runner running in the middle of the street during a snow storm last year. I mean, its one thing to be dedicated and get it in when you can fit it in, but it's another thing to be completely reckless about it

I cannot understand how people run in freezing temperatures in general. But yeah, that runner went a little overboard, haha.
  • ishepelska
    Options
    For me personally I never think anything but "Man, way to go!" no matter when or where I see someone running. LOL

I bet not everyone is as positive as you about this :wink:
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    The only time I've ever questioned (judged?) someone is if they are clearly being unsafe. Riding/running on the road after dark with no illumination or reflective gear, or running in the road during a big snowstorm when conditions are bad for everyone and the shoulders are gone from the piles of snow. But I go to the gym at 4:00 in the morning and often see well-lit runners and cyclists and think nothing negative of it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I admit that when I see a person running in the afternoon on a hot day, my first though is "crazy!" But that's because I'm not much of a hot weather fan and don't really like being out in the sun a lot. I don't actually think that the person is being inappropriate, I just cringe at the thought of doing that myself.
  • ishepelska
    Options
    HASWLRS wrote: »
    I could run up and down the main street of my small Ontario town (15,000 people) all night long because it is well lit. I wouldn't do that in Toronto, no matter how many lights were on. I think the question should be where and when, not just when.

I feel quite safe in TO, but I do live in a nice neighbourhood.
  • ishepelska
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I admit that when I see a person running in the afternoon on a hot day, my first though is "crazy!" But that's because I'm not much of a hot weather fan and don't really like being out in the sun a lot. I don't actually think that the person is being inappropriate, I just cringe at the thought of doing that myself.

Haha, that's my boyfriend's reaction to those who run in hot weather. If you are on a trail in the park, though, it's not that bad.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I am always impressed with night runners. If you're fitting in the miles, that's all that matters.

Personally I can't do night runs. I will happily head out before sunrise to run, though. I once went for a run before dawn at my parents house, and when I came back in I still had my headlamp on. My mom said I looked like a lost coal miner.

But I echo what others said-reflective gear, lights, mace if it makes you feel safe, phone, and you're good to go.

And fwiw, I love running right when it's starting to snow, or in the rain...it feels invigorating.
  • ishepelska
    Options
    Personally, I cringe at every person running on the streets of downtown Toronto.
    There is no fresh air!
    There is crazy pedestrian traffic!
    But it's a norm in big cities.
  • ishepelska
    Options
    I am always impressed with night runners. If you're fitting in the miles, that's all that matters.

Personally I can't do night runs. I will happily head out before sunrise to run, though. I once went for a run before dawn at my parents house, and when I came back in I still had my headlamp on. My mom said I looked like a lost coal miner.

But I echo what others said-reflective gear, lights, mace if it makes you feel safe, phone, and you're good to go.

And fwiw, I love running right when it's starting to snow, or in the rain...it feels invigorating.

You are one of the runners I am always impressed with :smile: Running before sunrise? I can hardly make myself get out of bed before 8 am! Running in rain or snow? Looks so cool, but the thought of getting soaked in the middle of the run scares me!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    have a flashlight, wear bright clothing, and always run towards traffic
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

I frequently ran in the middle of the street during snow storms last winter - and in the dark, at that. granted, it was on the streets in my neighborhood where there is next to no traffic (if I saw two cars during a 30-45 minute run, that was a LOT) - there was one run where I did a half mile loop like 7 times...it was pretty cool to see my footprints from earlier loops disappear with the falling snow. :) I also always wear reflective gear, blinky lights (on my front and back), wear a headlamp or carry a headlight, and wear clothing appropriate to the conditions (including yaktrax on my running shoes for traction in the snow).

• ishepelska
    Options
    gobonas99 wrote: »
    I frequently ran in the middle of the street during snow storms last winter - and in the dark, at that. granted, it was on the streets in my neighborhood where there is next to no traffic (if I saw two cars during a 30-45 minute run, that was a LOT) - there was one run where I did a half mile loop like 7 times...it was pretty cool to see my footprints from earlier loops disappear with the falling snow. :) I also always wear reflective gear, blinky lights (on my front and back), wear a headlamp or carry a headlight, and wear clothing appropriate to the conditions (including yaktrax on my running shoes for traction in the snow).

Wow, that's dedication.

I am a beginner, so doubt I'll be running in colder months at all, haha.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    ishepelska wrote: »
    Or, maybe, any other situations where you see a runner and go "why on earth is he/she doing this"? :smirk:

Yes, I think that about myself every day I run. :)
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    The only time I think people are crazy for running is when it's extremely hot, but that's my personal peccadillo as I hate the heat. As long as you're dressed appropriately and running in a safe manner, go for it.

I will grumble to anyone one I'm with when I see runners at night wearing all black with no reflectors or lights. That's irresponsible and stupid.
  • ishepelska
    Options
    ishepelska wrote: »

Yes, I think that about myself every day I run. :)

Hahaha