Help :(

Options
I have been going crazy on junk food lately and I could really use some inspiration/motivation. Any tips to help me stay on track for longer than just one day? I can do a day but then I loose all motivation and end up seriously binge eating! Please help me!

Replies

• ljaglady
    ljaglady Posts: 39
    Options
    Ok I had this problem up until this week. This is going to sound stupid but it's really all in your head! I have really had to tell myself no over the past week. I wouldn't even entertain the thought of eating something I shouldn't. The guild later wasn't worth the couple of seconds of pleasure the food might bring me. And that's all. Just a couple of SECONDS. If you think about it this way, it is much easier to deal with food. You have to think about how good you are going to feel when those pounds start coming off and the compliments you are going to get for looking so good! You might not be able to make completely healthy choices but go for the lesser of two evils.... cut your portions in half, drink water to make sure you are really actually hungry! I hope this helps!
  • chiligumbo
    Options
    Eat several small meals regularly throughout the day. I start to crave junk food when I haven't eaten anything in a while.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Maybe start with finding some healthier alternatives? Like granola bars, jello pudding, sugar free hot chocolate, fruit with yogurt or sugar free chocolate syrup, etc. That way you feel like you are getting a treat, but the calories and sugar is limited. Then you could always start eliminating those in place of healthier alternatives when you are ready.

Remember that every day you get to start over. Good luck!!
  • freesamplethief
    freesamplethief Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ive personally just been trying to binge on water and eat something healthy before i eat something bad or i mix them >_> like a cucumber and cream cheese sandwich on whole grain bread... that tablespoon for cream cheese gets its backbone from the light cucumber and hearty wheat. but i totally understand the going crazy but that large cup of water and an apple help make you not want to eat anymore,
  • ljaglady
    Options
    Oh and I carry a cooler bag around with healthy snack and a cold bottle of water so if I am tempted, I can always reach in that bag and grab something healthy that will satisfy that craving :D
  • onlinebs
    onlinebs Posts: 15
    Options
    Well, first recognize the problem! Check, ok, you did that. But, remember food is fuel. Say that to yourself next time you're tempted to just jump on a snack, as often people (like me!) do that to try to bury some negative feeling.

Do you like to cook or at least play in the kitchen? Prepare a bunch of snacks ahead of time, maybe make a day of it. Hungry Girl (just found out about her on here today, google for her website) has a ton of recipes from granola to pineapple upside down cake that are sweet but low cal. Even chocolate muffins! Keep that stuff on hand, and even when you just gotta have an extra snack, it'll be there.

Another tip is to have 2 or 3 snacks instead of a meal. For example, eat an apple and then make yourself wait an hour and eat a yogurt. Then, make yourself wait another hour and eat a salad or whatever you want. Knowing it's going to be just an hour until you eat again keeps the cravings at bay.

Last little tip - don't snuggle with your food! If you gotta eat (and you should, just moderately and for fuel) - just eat. If you're eating chips, don't hold the bag. If you're eating a sandwich, make sure to put it down between every bite. Holding (or snuggling) your food the whole time you eat makes it one long action. Make each bite a different movement and your body will acknowledge the food sooner!

One day at a time.
  • onlinebs
    onlinebs Posts: 15
    Options
    Ok, one more thing...

...you mentioned that you can "do a day", and that's great - but try to think of it as a lifestyle or a game or anyway but a chore. There are lots of foods that you can eat and eat and eat on, and Little Debbie is an evil little *****. Find a way to make this comfortable and enjoyable for you, and it wont be one day at a time - it'll just be how you do your days. A good diet is not a struggle!
  • ljaglady
    Options
    Hey! I'll definitely have to use your advice! Thats great stuff!
  • wease1204
    wease1204 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    oh dear! My motivation was the results I was getting from eating so well. Aside from making me feel amazing the numbers dropping on the scale were proof in the pudding (bad pun I know lol) and made me want to do it again!

I have tried a few diets, the last of which was the Body Trim diet and I found that I was hungry most of the time and really unmotivated to do the work. It's very personal to you what works however, I find that eating a broad range of foods - yes including carbs and some sugar makes you feel so much better, fuller and happier in yourself as you arent missing out on all those good things.

If you need to eat a particular junk food, do it - but cut it down. I still have my cafe coffee and cake - i can't live without it. But I have half the cake, skim milk and no sugar. there are many ways to enjoy the foods you crave without going crazy. The good thing about MFP is that it makes you concious of what is going your body and makes you accountable.

We have an ad campaign here in australia - dont stop it, swap it. read the nutritional guides on those binge foods and swap them for something just as tasty but better for you. Soon you will find it to be easier and easier to be free from that junk.

but also - give yourself something to look forward to - at the end of each week, have a free day (eat whatever you want). that way you're limiting your binge to 1 day a week and yet you have something to look forward to. I must say though, after 9 months of eating on this calorie controlled diet, there isnt really such thing as a free day for me anymore - I no longer feel like i need it - and gradually you might feel this as well - all good things take time - its about making the right decisions today.

I hope i've helped xxx
  • SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your beliefs are or how muh you have to lose....with that said....

I give it up to God. When I cannot control myself, I pray and ask others to pray for me for God to give me the strength I need.

I personally believe that if a person (including myself) has a lot to lose, then the mind/spirit/soul needs to heal as well as doing all the healthy stuff for your body. There is an emotional reason why the pounds are there and why people binge. So when my mind says stop, but I have no control, I give it to God and pray. For me, I find, reading the bible helps to heal and comfort. Psalms 51:10 is one of my favorites.
  • shopchik12
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement and great ideas! I WILL stop this binging!