Gained back all the weight I lost last year plus 10 more lbs on top of it.

Options
I joined My fitnesspal about 2 yrs ago and lost 50 lbs. Reached my goal weight of 113 last May 2014 but in August I began a full-time, physically demanding production job, I'd come home exhausted, hungry & stressed. I stopped doing cardio consistently the 7 months I worked their & started over-eating. Needless to say I gained back all 50 lbs I lost plus 10 more! I'm back at 170 now & miserable. Feels like its even harder to drop weight 2nd time around. I need help & encouragement I'm so frustrated.

Replies

• sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Read the success stories... that always gets me back in gear when i feel like losing takes so long.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Just trying to stay focused. I lost 25-30 last year and gained it ALL back. And the 2nd time is much harder. But I won't give up. I just look at my pictures and clothes I bought when I lost it all and it keeps me trying! You can do this too!
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It happens. I went from 175 to 118 when i was younger about 10 years ago. And now I am at 153 after losing 22 pounds (After getting from a pregnancy weight of 190) and it's hard. My goal is 125. But you can do it. Changes in schedule are hard but you just have to learn how to work with them. Most likely the more you workout th less exhausted and stressed you will be. :-) Good luck!
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I regained about 40 lbs over the past year (or two). Seeing a closet full of clothes I can't wear anymore pissed me off, and motivated me to start counting calories, and get back into shape again. I've lost about 11 lbs so far, and I'm shooting for a lower weight than I was at before.

Not gonna lie, I put it off for a month or two. I'll start tomorrow! But tomorrow is always a day away, right? I just got angry enough one day, and said the hell with it, and started counting calories. Doing cardio, and strength training gets me pumped, and helps to keep me motivated when I get down.

I don't know what you find motivating, but you can definitely do it again. If I can, then anyone can. Don't look at it as retreading ground, because that is depressing. Just realize that you have done it, and it is possible. Start the process, and focus on that. Set yourself goals unrelated to the weight loss, and try to attain them. For me, I like goals for my fitness and strength, and I see my wardrobe as the end goal, instead of how much I do or don't weigh.

Don't get me wrong, weight is an important metric, but I am more interested in being happy with myself than in being happy with a number. :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    In a year you gained 60 lbs? Not judging, just checking the facts.

I HIGHLY suggest not trying to lose right now. If you've been gaining a pound a week for the last year, I HIGHLY recommend trying to eat at maintenance for a month first. Weigh and log your food accurately, weigh yourself weekly, but try to eat at the level MFP says you should eat at to "maintain" your current weight. Get into the good habits of logging before trying to reverse the trend.

Here's why: You've been eating 500 calories above maintenance for a year. If tomorrow you switch to "lose 2 lbs per week" you will be trying to eat 1500 calories less on average than you did yesterday. This is a TOUGH switch to make. Try just doing maintenance for now and getting used to that. Then after a month, switch to a deficit.
  • Cheesburgerlover
    Cheesburgerlover Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    @ WBB55 yest that is right. I gained 60 in just one year. I eat pizza and cheesburgers or fries every day not just once a week. I drink 2 tall beers or 2 glasses of wine every night to fall asleep. My pallet or taste buds has become accustomed to the high fat greasy foods, when I try to go back to my salad eating days I just cant do it because My system got so use to fast food in less than 1 yr. I use to eat lots of yogurt, oatmeal, salads, and vegetables when I was on my health kick last year but now when I try to eat that way again, it just tastes bland and unsatisfying to me.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    @ WBB55 yest that is right. I gained 60 in just one year. I eat pizza and cheesburgers or fries every day not just once a week. I drink 2 tall beers or 2 glasses of wine every night to fall asleep. My pallet or taste buds has become accustomed to the high fat greasy foods, when I try to go back to my salad eating days I just cant do it because My system got so use to fast food in less than 1 yr. I use to eat lots of yogurt, oatmeal, salads, and vegetables when I was on my health kick last year but now when I try to eat that way again, it just tastes bland and unsatisfying to me.

First of all, that is one creepy profile pic! Second, yes, those foods will taste that way for a little while, but stick with it and make changes slowly. You can train your taste buds and body to enjoy those foods again. Just don't be too drastic about it.
  • Cheesburgerlover
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @BZAH10....Thanks or the advice! My profile pic is supposed to be funny not creepy. haha! Its a Halloween card-board cut-out, you stick your face in the cut out hole on top of the body. Its at the amusement park & haunted house (its a joke of what I want my goal weight to be) Hahahaha, I have a weird sense of humor.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @BZAH10....Thanks or the advice! My profile pic is supposed to be funny not creepy. haha! Its a Halloween card-board cut-out, you stick your face in the cut out hole on top of the body. Its at the amusement park & haunted house (its a joke of what I want my goal weight to be) Hahahaha, I have a weird sense of humor.

It IS funny! I meant creepy funny and I figured it was in anticipation of Halloween.

Also, pizza and cheeseburgers and fries can still be consumed while you lose weight and even after reaching your goal weight but in much smaller portions. I'm guessing it's the large amount of sodium in those foods that currently make the other food seem bland. Keep making small changes and you will see a difference!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You don't have to eat salads and oatmeal to lose weight.

Eat what sounds good and you enjoy at first. Just track the calories so you're not going over. Like I said, going from 3000 (or whatever) calories of pizza and beer to 1500 calories of salad is a lot to ask ANYONE to do. Why not try eating 2500 of whatever you want for a month and just see how you start to feel. **Please note these numbers are made up, follow whatever MFP says your maintenance calories are**
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. Plenty of us have 'fallen off the wagon' so to speak but all is not lost - you can take control of this situation once more and succeed this time. You know how to lose weight and you know how to exercise, your previous weight loss success shows that - so you've already got a head start! You can do this! What you need to work on is your motivation and your consistency. Unfortunately, revert back to your old ways and you will gain weight - it's a cruel fact and one I find VERY unfair (Hehe!) but that's just how it is. Stick with MFP, We'll keep you on track. Good luck. You can do this :)
  • Cheesburgerlover
    Options
    WOW!! just unbelievable. so pissed I think I will delete my account. Some *kitten* reported my halloween cardboard cut out pic as being "pro-aneroxia" it was a funny pic not pro anorexia. they changed my main pic with out my permissio!!! They sent me the following message in my inbox: " I hope you're enjoying your use of the MyFitnessPal site. Unfortunately, your current profile photo is in violation of our community guidelines: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
    QUOTE:b) No pro-anorexia or pro-bulimia posts, groups, profile names, or profile bylines. Photos intended to promote or glamorize extreme thinness are also not permitted. Serioulsy if any of you saw my previous pic you saw that it was meant to be funny not anything else. What the hell is wrong with people?