Shredded chicken - 184 calories per 100 gram!?

So i eat a lot of shredded chicken. I get it from the supermarket countdown. It is skinless. Generic entries say shredded chicken is close to 100 calories per 100 gram serving. There is one countdown shredded chicken entry and it says it is 184 calories per 100 grams!!! I have always logged about 100 calories for my 100g serving. Have i been eating a lot more than i think??

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited September 2015
    There are just so many variables.

Was the chicken rotisserie or baked or grilled or cooked some other way? Is it just chicken breast or all chicken meat mixed? What was the nutrition of the food that the chicken ate?

Most of the top search results on Google for shredded chicken just have the estimates that users have put into MFP and other sites like it.

If you got it from the supermarket deli, it was probably from the unsold rotisserie chicken and it probably includes a mix of meat from the whole chicken. That will have more calories and fat than shredded chicken made from skinless chicken breasts. How much more? There's no real way to tell.

We can never be completely accurate with calorie and macro counting, especially when the foods aren't prepared in a uniform way. All we can do is estimate the best we can. That's still more accurate than not trying.
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Time to start cooking my own chicken. I think that shredded crap tastes off anyway
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    If you buy it from the grocery store it should have nutritional information (I guess unless it's from the deli section where they make it in store). If it doesn't have nutrition information use the USDA's site for 100g depending on the kind of meat they include in the shredded meat. Also, make sure you're looking at cooked entries and not raw (raw will have less calories in 100g).

USDA food list: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
  • Y_A_F_A
    Y_A_F_A Posts: 11 Member
    I put chicken breasts in a crockpot and just make my own shredded chicken - almost zero effort. :-)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    You can also cook a whole chicken in a crockpot. Just ball up some tinfoil to sit underneath it so it doesn't sit in a bunch of juice/fat. Personally, my go to for chicken in the crockpot is boneless, skinless thighs. I feel like white meat dries out in the crockpot no matter how careful I am with it.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Throw some chicken in a slow cooker with a little bit of chicken broth. Boom shredded chicken. And you can get a more accurate count.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Y_A_F_A wrote: »
    I put chicken breasts in a crockpot and just make my own shredded chicken - almost zero effort. :-)

This is what I do.

However, if I wanted to know the calories of the deli stuff, I'd ask the grocery store how it was prepared.
  • Pandapotato
    Pandapotato Posts: 68 Member
    You can also cook a whole chicken in a crockpot. Just ball up some tinfoil to sit underneath it so it doesn't sit in a bunch of juice/fat. Personally, my go to for chicken in the crockpot is boneless, skinless thighs. I feel like white meat dries out in the crockpot no matter how careful I am with it.

HA, you are "elevating" your chicken above the juices/fat and then wondering why it dries out? I do a whole chicken with seasoning and nothing else and it's fall-apart juicy. (Literally, I can't get it out of the crock pot without the whole skeleton falling apart. I use two giant spoons to move it to a pan and pull the meat off).

I save the juices for soup stock.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Well is it dark or white meat? I'd use the dark meat entry just in case... and dark meat is about 200 calories for 100g. So I guess if it's a mix of both, 180 isn't too far off.

It's definitely not 100 either way, as 100g of cooked chicken breast is closer to 120 calories, and that's with all the fat trimmed.
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Wow thanks guys. Can't believe it lol. Weird to be eating something everyday then realize you are actually eating twice the amount you logged
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    I pretty much never use the entries in the database unless I check them myself to be accurate. I enter a lot of things myself, by either the nutrition label, or by the USDA website. I'd rather take the time to be accurate than use other entries and be quick.