Bowls problems please help!

Options
Hi everyone.
I have been having chronic diarrhea from an osmotic laxative for about a week now. I have severe bowel problems and my doctor put me on magnesium to help me go (we are trying to find something that will help the constipation.) It has had me had very watery stool (literally just brown water with some pieces of food floating around...tmi) for about a week now. While I feel "cleaned out" I'm very bloated and I've noticed my weight has shot up as well... could this be water retention from all the diarrhea? I drink about 32-48oz water a day and 16oz of coffee.

Thanks!

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    This is something you need to discuss with your doctor.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Coffee stimulates the colon. If I my poo were too watery I would stop drinking it. Perhaps it and the laxative are too much together. I don't know anything about water retention. I eat a pound of vegetables daily and am very active and am NEVER constipated. How is your diet?
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You need to get back to your doctor!
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    DIARRHEA kills lots of people every year. Take this seriously. Maybe you need to stop coffee, the medicine, or both, or see the doctor. Do it now.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Thank You for excluding pictures. The colorful description was enough.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Yes, see your doctor again. That's too long to be in that condition. Have you tried everything else you could possibly try (that ISN'T medication) for your constipation? Whole wheat pasta? Flaxseed? Bran? Dried apricots? These things all help me to go, no problem!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Temporary Weight Loss

Magnesium citrate may cause temporary weight loss due to the severe diarrhea it causes. The weight loss is due to the loss of water and the contents of the large intestines. After the person returns to normal eating and bowel habits, the weight will return easily because little to no fat was lost. Most of the calories from food are absorbed in the small intestines and stomach prior to entering the large intestines where the laxative works.
    Laxative Abuse

If you are using magnesium citrate or other laxatives as a method for weight loss, you should stop immediately and get weight loss advice from a physician or dietitian. If you are having trouble stopping, you should be evaluated for an eating disorder by a physician. Overuse of laxatives causes loss of fluid, electrolytes and minerals, and can lead to severe dehydration, kidney failure and liver damage.

source.livestrong.com
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I came in here cause the title says "Bowls Problem" Boy was I surprised.
  • siva102
    siva102 Posts: 7 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yeah, I was going to say, mixing or cereal? I am a collector :)
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options

lol Same here.
  • jbaerbock
    jbaerbock Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    For constipation issues I always recommend probiotics. Something with 30billion+ should clear up constipation problems pretty quick. If you can get some prebiotics in there with them then even better! I had IBS type issues for 4 years that docs could never get under control. Finally said screw em and researched stuff myself. Found probiotics for that issue and ginseng for another related issue. Now feel fine and rarely if ever have constipation.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    siva102 wrote: »
    Yeah, I was going to say, mixing or cereal? I am a collector :)

I thought this was about cereal
    *leaves disappointed
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can cause bloating. Yes magnesium is powerful. You may be getting dehydrated despite holding water. Call your doctor. It doesn't work like this.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »

lol Same here.

Same.

But to OP - The internet is not a doctor.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Magnesium supplements have a laxative effect. You may be taking too much. Other supplements also cause a laxative effect (for example Vitamin C), so if you happen to be combining other supps, you could be exacerbating the problem. Definitely speak to your doctor.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Too much magnesium. Cut back, and consume more fats.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I actually think you have not given us enough information but here goes anyway. You need to eat more vegetables. More soluble fibre. And less insoluble fibre. Count your fibre intake in your diary and make sure its up around 25 minimum.

Fruit, vegetables, legumes are the best sources of soluble fibre but also chia seeds. Peanuts are fantastic. I said peanuts, not peanut butter because that even more fat. If you are overweight, then try to eat only between 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup. Any sort of nuts and seeds are good but they are high fat.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Fiber and probiotics. And cut laxative in half. Why is constipation a big deal anyway. It come out eventually, no matter how long.

(Yeah i see it now)