Sedentary or lightly active?

Options
barbiex3
barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
I'm a college student, so I used to walk around 3+ miles a day on top of my work outs, so I was at lightly active setting, but since the semester ended, I noticed I haven't been loosing weight. I don't really do much during a day anymore besides my workouts (which I log separate). What do you do in an average day if you are at sedentary or lightly active?

Replies

• jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    Sedentary = you do nothing! You might get up and walk to the bathroom but you spend your whole day in bed or sitting on the couch.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I put mine as sedentary - I sit at a desk 8 hrs a day for my job. I could probably put it as lightly active now that I'm exercising every day, but I haven't changed it cos I eat most of my exercise calories anyway.
  • snowbaby1492
    Options
    mine is sedentary because i have to sit on the computer and talk on the phone all day for my job...i work in a call center. even with my activities i still consider myself sedentary because i don't walk around for 8 hours a day like on my old job, where it was all physical work
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    hi -
    I'm using sedentary.....I'm a housewife - home all day with the usual computering, laundry, dishes, etc. My understanding is to use the setting that describes you without exercise. And, although i do get out to jog, walk or dance vigorously 1 hour each day, i still use the sedentary setting.

hope that helps some :)
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I would definitely change your setting to sedentary. That way you can take credit for everything you do.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I would definitely change your setting to sedentary. That way you can take credit for everything you do.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job so my setting is sedentary. I do go for a 20 minute walk at lunch time but I don't count that because it's something I do every day and my body is used to it. It's part of my "normal daily activity" as defined by MFP.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    most days just the gym and light housework, its a small house. 2 or 3 days a wk I may run errands for a few hours
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I am also kind of confused about this.
    I don't have a job (but I am looking) and I live in a small town where you have to walk anywhere (well it would be a terrible waste to do otherwise anyway, less than a min in the car is not worth it - lol not that I own a car or can drive, waiting 30 min for a 2 min bus ride sure isnt worth it, I'd be there faster if I walked) for the most part.

But I put as sedentary because some days I don't go anywhere, some days I laze about in front of the computer only walking once to go to my boyfreinds house to laze about in front of his tv.

But I am still confused, should I then count walking 15 min to the supermarket? Walking 20 min to my boyfreinds house? Jumping around to music I like because its fun to do so and not out of a desire to "workout" for the length of a song? Pacing back and forth because I feel restless? Spinning around in circles because being dizzy is fun even though its so hard to get dizzy now... seem to have a tolerance :(

Does sedentary on here mean "no exercise" or does it mean "exercises enough to do daily tasks like cleaning and walking to shops and friends houses and stuff"?