Running: how late is too late?

Options

Replies

• veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I personally feel safer running early in the morning rather than late at night, i won't run past 9 PM. And I try not to run for too long before the sun comes up. I'm more worried about bad people than I am cars, I light myself up. And I live in an okay area.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I run really late. I often don't start until 11 or 12. The kids have to get put down, the house has to get straightened, gotta prep for the next day...
  • ishepelska
    ishepelska Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    gobonas99 wrote: »
    ishepelska wrote: »
    Is there a time of day/night that you find inappropriate for running outside?
    Or, maybe, any other situations where you see a runner and go "why on earth is he/she doing this"? :smirk:

I wouldn't be surprised if the people who see me running while it's still dark out think I'm nuts. Don't care... I love going before work and since it's not even starting to get light until 6am these days, darkness and a headlamp it is =)
    I think running at sunrise is quite standard, as opposed to midnight. In my mind, all runners are early birds.

You're assuming that all people work a standard 8-5/9-6 day. Not all do. For some, midnight is their 7pm....or their 5am.

For some it is, of course. Unfortunately, a majority of people, especially in big cities, work 9 to 5. Thus, a standard image of an early morning runner.
  • ishepelska
    Options
    Never thought that safety is such big issue for runners!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    why wouldn't safety be a big issue for runners? I'm confused. I mean, the likely hood that something bad would happen to you is probably pretty low, but bad stuff happens everywhere all the time....you should always use your brain and be safe.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Or, maybe, any other situations where you see a runner and go "why on earth is he/she doing this"? :smirk:

I am sure people say that about me when I get up at 4:30 and head out with my head lamp on.

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Incidentally when I run at night my second biggest concern after vehicle traffic is being hit from behind by a cyclist. There are a lot of bikes out here through all seasons. On side walks. On paths. Around the seawall. Coming at me. Scary! Boo!

I have a low power light facing *backwards* behind me to avoid being crunched by someone coming up from behind and I find bikes give me a nice wide berth. Reflectors are not enough: there are plenty of cyclists that ride without lights (damn them all to heck) to light up my reflectors.

Yup. this ^
    That's why I bought a second RED blinky light that goes on the back of my head. I also found a vest that has LED lights that blink within it. Every time I wear my vest, people comment and sometimes ask where I got it. It lights up like crazy, but you're right--you'd have to have a light ON it to see it...
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

I don't run in the evening. Main reason is my sleep is fairly fragile, and I want to avoid ramping up my core body temperature too late into the evening (which tends to interrupt sleep onset). This is why sleep docs advise against late night exercise and late night hot showers / baths.

I also like running in the morning because it's just a great way to start my day! :smiley:
  • texasfarmer
    texasfarmer Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I would prefer to run in the morning at first light. I am the freshest then and not worn out from my day and that is the coolest temp wise here in Texas. Unfortunately, I keep my grandson from 5:30 to 5:30, so I am usually one of those crazies running in 90 degree weather in late afternoon. I would NOT run after dark here as it simply is not safe here due to road conditions and terrain.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    as long as it's safe, you don't run in the middle of the motorway or in the dark, never.

I was out once at 3 am and was actually impressed about how many commuters were out to catch a bus/train, and the reason was that I had to catch a flight at 6am, so haven't done because I'm crazy, but because it was the only time I could fit in the day something I am committed to do (and wanted to enjoy looooooooots of Italian food afterward :smile: )
  • ishepelska
    Options
    why wouldn't safety be a big issue for runners? I'm confused. I mean, the likely hood that something bad would happen to you is probably pretty low, but bad stuff happens everywhere all the time....you should always use your brain and be safe.

I meant that I have never thought of it, not that I think it is not an issue.
  • ishepelska
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    as long as it's safe, you don't run in the middle of the motorway or in the dark, never.

I was out once at 3 am and was actually impressed about how many commuters were out to catch a bus/train, and the reason was that I had to catch a flight at 6am, so haven't done because I'm crazy, but because it was the only time I could fit in the day something I am committed to do (and wanted to enjoy looooooooots of Italian food afterward :smile: )

3 am! That's commitment :).
    But you see, you mentioned not "because I'm crazy", so the assumption is that running at 3 am is odd.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I won't run outside if it's dark, which sucks because I would love to run at night as I feel best then. As a small female though I'm just not going to put myself at any extra risk. I live in a nice area but no area is nice enough to quiet my paranoia lol.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    4:10 this morning. some of my clothes are reflective but I think I'll order some lights.
    though as a driver, i do not like blinking lights. i find them distracting.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Aside from what others have said (light/headlight, reflective clothing, avoid high-crime areas, run against traffic if you can't avoid roads,etc.), I would also suggest being cautious not just about motorists being able to see you, but also about what can see you and you can't see it. Specifically, depending on your area, you may need to be aware of bears, wolves, moose, cougars, etc. Having bear spray works for human or animal predators.

ETA: Moose obviously wouldn't eat people, but you could inadvertently get too close to a calf or something and get charged by the cow. In that case, taking cover behind a tree works well.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    my fav time is 4 am in the dark and in the winter and in the snow
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    4:10 this morning. some of my clothes are reflective but I think I'll order some lights.
    though as a driver, i do not like blinking lights. i find them distracting.

Maybe distracting, but you definitely notice them.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I love running after the sun goes down. The latest I've run so far is until 1am. Two nights ago I ran in the late evening and took an asphalt trail that went through the woods. It was so dark I couldn't see but 10 feet in front of me. I slowed down and loved every step.

• ishepelska
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I love running after the sun goes down. The latest I've run so far is until 1am. Two nights ago I ran in the late evening and took an asphalt trail that went through the woods. It was so dark I couldn't see but 10 feet in front of me. I slowed down and loved every step.

I have a short trail in the ravine across from where I live. It is quite busy in early evening - most runners go there - but I would love to run there at night. But.... afraid. Who knows why.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Been more than once I couldn't sleep. So I laced em up at 1, 2, 3am and went for a run. Came back cleaned up, and went right to sleep. Also, cold isn't that big a deal once you get going. Sweat freezes to your face and hair, steam coming off your body once you're done.....it's a good time.