Saving calories for another day

Options
Question MFPers is it okay to not eat all of a daily calorie allotment to budget for a special occasion that you know you will be over by a significant amount over if it is in the same week? I know eating under or over can have a effect on weight loss thanks. :)

Replies

• dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    As long as the totals average out to a deficit on a week you are fine.
  • Chasity6
    Chasity6 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    okay just want to make sure having a issue eating all the calories added to my food from fit bit already. I just didn't want to eat even fewer calories daily and then add a large amount and slow weight loss. :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    theres a lot of folks on here who go by weekly deficit.

technically, i do NOT, but it does help cover my weekend deck drinking ;) LOLOL
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You sure can, I save calories every week for Saturday night :smile:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

Some people go by a weekly average. And it works for them.
  • NotPoodle
    NotPoodle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's not something I do, but it will work just fine.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yes I go by weekly deficit, because I definitely have days where I want to go over my TDEE of 2000. I don't even have a set daily deficit, I just set my calorie total goal to my TDEE and then look to ensure that I have green numbers. If I have lots of green numbers, I use those for another day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on where you're at with calories and how much you want to stay under on certain days. MFP recommends a minimum of 1200 per day for women. So if you're at 1500 and want to cut to 1300, that seems ok. But if you're at 1200 and want to cut to 900, I think that's questionable. Your body needs a certain amount of energy and it can be self defeating to deny it, thinking you will make it up later in the week. It could result in unplanned bingeing or overeating.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I don't intentionally 'save' calories but if I am under my daily 1500 calories by 50 or more, I will 'bank' it and use the previous 7 days unused calories for my Saturday! It's been great so far! :)