Replacement activity for night time snacking ritual?

Options
All this time I thought sugar cravings were the problem, but i just realized that's not entirely the case.
Evening snacking is more about the feeling of rewarding / treating myself after a long day. I hadn't realized but the after dinner snack is symbolic, a gesture of appreciation to and for myself, from myself. I always think " you deserve this cookie!" Except I don't much appreciate how it affects my calorie intake or the fact that essentially undoing my hard work with my "reward".

My theory is that I need to replace the snacks with another activity, or ritual. It has to be meaningful to stick. I doubt going to bed earlier would work, for example, bc that would feel more like punishment than a reward. Gum would just feel like a cheap, empty tradeoff - no self love there. Hot tea MIGHT do it if I can find a flavor that's amazing and caffeine free. But I'm starting to realize it doesn't have to be food/ drink related. There has to be something...

Suggestions?

Replies

• sarahlyzzibeth
    Options
    What about taking the time to pamper yourself as a reward? Painting your nails, soaking in the bathtub, or something else you don't usually do for yourself.
    Or, my favorite bedtime ritual is to stretch, which not only relaxes my back but also helps me get ready to sleep :)
  • niavalentino
    niavalentino Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    This is a toughie! I have a need to snack at night, too but two things have always kept me (mostly) away from the fridge (or over doing it): snacking on a small fruit (blueberries and blackberries are my yummy vices) and music. Now, the music part might be silly, but it really helps me to put on some upbeat tunes and just act a little bit silly because by the time I'm done not only do I feel great but I've also forgotten that urge to snack on a cookie.
  • c3lxxx
    c3lxxx Posts: 25
    Options
    I put in my headphones and dance to my favorite relaxing music....I make it "me" time.

Think of something that you thoroughly enjoy! Sometimes people enjoy having some peaceful time to read their favorite book, or even surf the internet for inspiration for a current or new hobby. You would be surprised how simple things can even become more enjoyable!

Hopefully you find just the right knack!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I play video games, read books, play with my dog, or surf the web (just avoid recipe sites because they can make me hungry!).

Watching some TV/movies can work too, if you're not the type to snack while watching stuff :)
  • happybunnysbabe57
    happybunnysbabe57 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i get on here before bed to relax. i see how my friends r doing and tell them how awesome they r.i also just read the boards to see what it going on. it is nice to see how other people spent there day and it gives me tips on new things i could try. i also watch some of my fav shows on my dvr. lastly in the winter i read alot cuz there is bit much else to do at night to cold. i hope that helps u and that u find something that works for u..
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I found crochet and knitting helped the break that habit, giving something for my hands to do that doesn't involve putting something in my mouth.

Also, I sometimes have an instant, skinny chai latte.

GG
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just really want an evening treat and I find those low cal instant hot chocolate drinks often hit the spot at about 35 cals.
  • Shushonet
    Shushonet Posts: 37
    Options
    I find myself feeling like you many times. What I do is try to avoid the kitchen as much as I can, and keep myself busy with housework, TV, internet of actually crafting (time consuming for sure!) like sewing or crocheting. Anything that will keep my mind busy.
    Also, if you think you deserve that cookie - just throw it away and don't buy things that will make you go crazy.
  • clarehaines
    Options
    Yeah truggle with this also, I think for me its more of a boredom thing than wanting to reward myself for the healthy eating for the day / work achieved for the day or whatever it is.... It seems sitting watching the tv I get that craving for something - anything - not necessarily something sweet - I smoke so this helps lol - just means that come the evening time im smoking like a trooper lol!!
    Ive just bought some Weight Watchers treats - lower in calories and fat and just as scrummy!!
    Maybe try to replace that cookie with something (as previously suggested) like a piece o fresh fruit - its amazing how it really kicks that sugar craving and far healthier than the cookie due to no fat!
    During the summer maybe with the evenings being so light you could take a walk for half an hour or so, maybe with a friend, have a good old natter!! Take your mind off the want to eat.... i also like the above idea of having a nice soak in the bath and a bit of a pampering session!!!!
    Hope you find something that works for you!! Good luck!
    (And just remember - its mind over matter - I have been using this site / dieting for 15 days now and it was like a ritual to me to eat in the evenings too and its surprising how quickly you can change that with a bit of willpower - very rarely now do I feel the need to want to eat after ive had dinner!!)
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Anything that keeps your hands busy! I find that watching movies/reading etc just makes me wanna eat! Here's a few suggestions:

1. Go to bed - likelihood is you're probably just bored.
    2. Brush your teeth - that cookie won't taste as good after.
    3. Drink something - even if it's not water. Even with the extra calories if you just drink instead of eat you will find that this will at least help with any bloating issues.
    4. Light exercise - If exercise is something that tires you out as opposed to giving you a burst of energy than do some light exercise such as jumping rope or hula-hooping, something you enjoy that isn't too strenuous = more calories burnt and you'll want to take in more water which will probably leave you feeling less hungry!

EDIT: Also consider changing your diary to time periods... you might be shocked into changing your habits through seeing how much of your daily calorie intake is from late night snacking!
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    All this time I thought sugar cravings were the problem, but i just realized that's not entirely the case.
    Evening snacking is more about the feeling of rewarding / treating myself after a long day. I hadn't realized but the after dinner snack is symbolic, a gesture of appreciation to and for myself, from myself. I always think " you deserve this cookie!" Except I don't much appreciate how it affects my calorie intake or the fact that essentially undoing my hard work with my "reward".

My theory is that I need to replace the snacks with another activity, or ritual. It has to be meaningful to stick. I doubt going to bed earlier would work, for example, bc that would feel more like punishment than a reward. Gum would just feel like a cheap, empty tradeoff - no self love there. Hot tea MIGHT do it if I can find a flavor that's amazing and caffeine free. But I'm starting to realize it doesn't have to be food/ drink related. There has to be something...

Suggestions?
    Why you have cookies in your house in the first place?
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options

Suggestions?

Because I like them.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Those are some good suggestions- I hadn't thought about music. I might try that and also might start replacing the munchies with an after dinner walk, with my iPod. The solitude would be good, there's a mile long loop I can walk (.5 mile up, .5 down) and that should be enough to get me past the trigger point most nights. THEN if I TRULY want something, I will have a little wiggle room in the calorie budget. I like the bubble bath idea too... Though wouldn't realistically do that every night. Maybe I will keep that in my arsenal for when I can really tell it's not about food but the urge to snack just won't die!

And, to the person asking why I have sweets in the house, I see your point and I may need to control access if I can't find a better way. This is real life. I have come a king way without banning them from the house but am now evaluating what it will take to get me the rest of the way.nantessonable goal will be for me to control the cookie instead of it controlling me!thank you all for your feedback.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    I may start a 5 day challenge to get this ball rolling. Anyone interested in joining me? Starting Monday...
  • av8rblond
    av8rblond Posts: 140
    Options
    This may sound a little off the wall, but think of night time snacking as less of a bad thing. I have found personally that by taking the taboo element out of the equation it wasn't such a thrill to get away with the snacking and I felt it was easier to not snack at night.
    Don't get me wrong, there are nights that i do have a chocolate mini as this is my idea of a reward as you call them, but i don't sweat it. It isn't something I do every night as i have taken it off the "bad" list.
    In short by giving myself permission to eat whatever I want whenever I want, I have found that I don't snack as much as I used to since the little kid in me isn't getting away with being bad.

Sorry if this is too confusing, but I do hope it helps!
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Suggestions?

The whole point of this is to make a lifestyle change, I believe that having one cookie a day will not make me fat, and it also means I don't start binge eating them when I do come across them.

One cookie did not make me fat, but the 5-6 a day I used to eat did.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options

Suggestions?

The whole point of this is to make a lifestyle change, I believe that having one cookie a day will not make me fat, and it also means I don't start binge eating them when I do come across them.

One cookie did not make me fat, but the 5-6 a day I used to eat did.

I agree with this and the interesting thing is that there are nights when I don't eat anything extra and I'm perfectly content. They seem to be fewer and farther between lately, so this is signalling me to take a closer look at what's up, and keep this train from flying off the tracks. Like an above poster said, it does me no good to think of nighttime snacking as naughty or off limits. My inner brat is super rebellious. But it also does no good to eat mindlessly, or to go over goal and defeat myself.