IIFYM

As of today, I am going to try the flexible diet. I understand the importance of getting all your macronutrients in and I also understand that the type of food I eat plays a major role. I plan to eat foods rich in nutrients and non-processed. In the past I have tried adjusting my Macros to 20% carbohydrates, 30% protein and 50 % fat and eat a total of 1490 calories. I weigh 135 and workout 4-5 days a week with weights, cardio, and HIT. I used to be 129 pounds but ever since I added weight training, my weight has increased. My BCA states an increase in fat as well as muscle. I'd like to loose all the fat and tone up. So far eating the way I have hasn't helped me towards my goal so I hope this way helps. I don't mind if it's slow as long as it works. I just have one question. Is the ketogenic diet where I eat less carbs a better diet than the IIFYM diet for some one like me? I'm vegetarian, trying to maintain the 15 pounds that I already lost by totally eating clean but at the same time trying to loose more weight? Is there anyone out there who has achieved success from the IIFYM diet that doesn't have a fast metabolism and isn't a bodybuilder, model etc?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Keto is a low carb diet. IIFYM is where you eat what you want, while hitting your micronutrient and macronutrient goals. You can do both simultaneously.

Eating clean does nothing for weight loss. It's also an arbitrary term. It means nothing.

IIFYM is not a diet.

My metabolism is probably the same as yours... as well as a lot of other peoples.

I don't see how being a bodybuilder or model means they can't have success from IIFYM? If they're a bodybuilder and have a good physique and follow IIFYM.. then that's saying something.

• RadhikaMakadia
    RadhikaMakadia Posts: 14 Member
    I meant eating clean in the sense of not eating too much packaged foods filled with preservatives and fillers. I'd like to leave those out because they make me feel better.

And I understand bodybuilders and models can have success from IIFYM. I mention them because they usually have fast metabolisms and it seems to me that they have MORE success on it. I was simply trying to find out how effective it is for people who are starting it.

I used to be 210 pounds about 5 years ago and I'm just trying to test out different ways of eating to help me reach my fitness goals.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I meant eating clean in the sense of not eating too much packaged foods filled with preservatives and fillers. I'd like to leave those out because they make me feel better.

And I understand bodybuilders and models can have success from IIFYM. I mention them because they usually have fast metabolisms and it seems to me that they have MORE success on it. I was simply trying to find out how effective it is for people who are starting it.

I used to be 210 pounds about 5 years ago and I'm just trying to test out different ways of eating to help me reach my fitness goals.

I used to think that I was meant to be a certain size, a little on the heavy side. I thought I had a slower metabolism or something. Then I decided to compete in a bodybuilding competition. I followed a strict diet and consistent training schedule. I dropped a lot of weight in a relatively short time.
    I didn't have an abnormally fast metabolism, I restricted my calories and worked out. I believe that my experience is the same for other "bodybuilders'. I believe their success is due to being more diligent and working hard, not naturally fast metabolisms.

BTW - IIFYM can be applied to a low carb diet. Your macros just have a lower carb goal than normal and you can still eat foods that will fit those macros.
  • ksully913
    ksully913 Posts: 16 Member
    I wouldn't think of IIFYM as a diet. It's a style of choosing what to eat. You can eat whatever you want as long as it fits your macros. You want a bowl of ice cream? Cool, just plan your day around it. It works for everybody because it's still calories in/calories out. It has nothing to do with who has what metabolism.

If you track your food with a food scale, and hit your macros daily, you will lose weight. That said, I would use the iifym.com calculator to get your numbers - I don't know how tall or how active you are, but 1490 isn't a lot if you are lifting regularly.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    ksully913 wrote: »
    I wouldn't think of IIFYM as a diet. It's a style of choosing what to eat. You can eat whatever you want as long as it fits your macros. You want a bowl of ice cream? Cool, just plan your day around it. It works for everybody because it's still calories in/calories out. It has nothing to do with who has what metabolism.

If you track your food with a food scale, and hit your macros daily, you will lose weight. That said, I would use the iifym.com calculator to get your numbers - I don't know how tall or how active you are, but 1490 isn't a lot if you are lifting regularly.

Pretty much this.

It's more fo a lifestyle change, the term 'diet' can refer to anything (eating nothing but cherios, every meal of every day would still be a diet.. albeit maybe not one that would benefit your health too much).

Also, I tend to agree regarding the calories you're consuming but without looking at your diary or knowing anything about you at all, that is purely a speculation I'd make about mostly anybody lifting and consuming that number.

Wishing you all the very best with finding the lifestyle choice that works for you!
  • RadhikaMakadia
    Thank you very much! Yes that was my old caloric goal. Today was my first day of being on 1675 calories. (After inputting my numbers in the IIFYM calculator)

Also, @3dogsrunning, thank you for sharing that. I keep on thinking that's the case with me because I felt like I was doing everything I could to loose weight but I am starting to realize I didn't have enough information. I do think I might have been eating less calories.

@Train4Foodz & @ksully913 : you're right. It's a lifestyle change. Appreciate your inputs.
  • RadhikaMakadia
    Also, do I add more calories after I workout even though IIFYM calculator increased my caloric number?
  • ksully913
    ksully913 Posts: 16 Member
    With IIFYM you don't eat back your exercise calories because the formula used to get your numbers accounts for your activity level. Check out the IIFYM Women's group on FB - lots of great insight.
  • RadhikaMakadia
    With IIFYM you don't eat back your exercise calories because the formula used to get your numbers accounts for your activity level. Check out the IIFYM Women's group on FB - lots of great insight.

Ok will do! Thanks
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

Not necessarily, I believe (could be wrong as I'm not a devout IIFYM follower) that you could do IIFYM but still use the MFP NEAT method in which you would still potentially eat back some exercise calories. Now if you calculated TDEE when you figured out your macros, then no, you wouldn't eat those back.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited September 2015
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Not necessarily, I believe (could be wrong as I'm not a devout IIFYM follower) that you could do IIFYM but still use the MFP NEAT method in which you would still potentially eat back some exercise calories. Now if you calculated TDEE when you figured out your macros, then no, you wouldn't eat those back.

You are correct.

IIFYM is just your diet.

TDEE is where you don't eat back exercise calories..

NEAT is where you eat back exercise calories.