Does yoga help you lose weight?

Options
Well I think the question is self explanatory, would yoga help me lose weight? More in the tummy area I'm concerned.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Yoga, like any other exercise program, is for fitness and health. Weight loss is much more dependent on being in a moderate calorie deficit on a consistent basis.
    Any program of exercise telling you that you can "sculpt" and "reduce" the fat through exercise isn't being honest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • crazygooselady
    crazygooselady Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Well, according to MFP, it does burn some calories. However, it will burn them where your body wants and not necessarily in the order that you put them on. It will give you a great strength workout, which will improve muscle tone and that will look better.
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Your body will burn where it wants anyway, btw.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Well, according to MFP, it does burn some calories. However, it will burn them where your body wants and not necessarily in the order that you put them on. It will give you a great strength workout, which will improve muscle tone and that will look better.
    Thing is we burn calories all the time. Even when overweight. Unless there's a calorie deficit, no amount of exercise will be enough to burn off body fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yoga is a great tool as part of a weight loss journey because as you become more mindful and self aware you may begin to find it easier to make better food choices and stay within your calorie goal.
    Well at least that's how it helped me :)
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit gets rid of your fat. Exercise can assist in creating one but it makes no difference what type when it comes to how many calories burned. I don't think yoga is a huge calorie burner anyway but it is good for flexibility and strength.

You can't really spot lose fat.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Well I think the question is self explanatory, would yoga help me lose weight? More in the tummy area I'm concerned.

No, eating less fuel than you burn will make you lose weight.

Also, you can't choose where you lose weight from.

This might help you. Good luck!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1