Anyone 4'11 struggling with weight?

Options
I'm the heaviest I've ever been and I'm not happy about it. I'm 26 years old, 4'11 and struggling to find a good exercise that's good for my stomach and arms. Please help!

Replies

• ellarishee
    ellarishee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat (unfortunately) from any specific part of the body.. All you can do is eat at a caloric deficit and reduce your over all body fat %. Exercise is one way of creating that caloric deficit though!
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    im 4"11 too!!
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    if you want to work out at home..ck out fitblender on youtube and also you an try 21 day fix for meal plans and T25 which is intence cardio..send me a friend request if you want to chat some more..Good Luck
  • pandalove1989
    pandalove1989 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    aniqa109 wrote: »
    im 4"11 too!!

Exercise seems a little harder at this height lol
  • pandalove1989
    Options
    ellarishee wrote: »
    You can't spot reduce fat (unfortunately) from any specific part of the body.. All you can do is eat at a caloric deficit and reduce your over all body fat %. Exercise is one way of creating that caloric deficit though!

Thanks I'll just try that then. It's better than nothing. Thanks again!
  • pandalove1989
    Options
    tiggerlove wrote: »
    if you want to work out at home..ck out fitblender on youtube and also you an try 21 day fix for meal plans and T25 which is intence cardio..send me a friend request if you want to chat some more..Good Luck
    Thanks I will have to check those out.
  • aniqa109
    Options
    aww i like exercise!! i just lack motivation lol.
  • 19juanita72
    19juanita72 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    I'm 4' 10 and can relate to this also.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11.5" and after losing 70, my trouble area is still my stomach. Arms are ups and downs as I've got a bit of bicep showing through but do have some bingo wing skin/fat issues going on as well. I don't let it bother me though. I probably won't be wearing a bikini any time soon but it's all improved over the past 70 lbs. Weightloss has been mostly from nutrition, I've been in a deficit for most of the whole year with just a few small breaks. Fitness is good in that it helped give me other goals so I didn't obsess over numbers, it's fun, can help in many health aspects, and it's nice to do something besides work.

I had a goal of running a 5k. I've ran in 3 now, with the last one being a timed run where I finished in under 30 minutes. I'm now training for a 10k. I also lift weights 3 times a week. I started with stronglifts and did new rules of lifting for women (though I skipped stage 6 as pull up isn't near top of my goal list and I wanted to get back to working on heavy deadlifting). Now I'm doing PHUL and plan to follow that for a long while. I would recommend lifting if you have access to equipment and following a program designed for beginners like SL, NROLFW, Starting Strength, etc. It won't target, but it has many benefits in weight loss and self confidence. Even when i overheard some guy trying to be funny when I was first starting couch to 5k where he said something along "she must be looking for a vending machine" one of my top thoughts was: pfft, I could probably deadliest you.

And while my stomach will probably always be my trouble area, not only is it getting a bit smaller, but I have other areas I can say I like quite well. Legs for example. I've got a little hamstring and quad definition starting to show, which is fun. So, we always have trouble spots but should remember we have things about us that are awesome too.
  • pandalove1989
    Options
    Wow reading this gave me more courage to keep going. Thank you! I hope you continue and succeed with your goals!
  • pandalove1989
    Options
    aniqa109 wrote: »
    aww i like exercise!! i just lack motivation lol.
    Lol once I get into exercise it is fun
  • pandalove1989
    Options
    I'm 4' 10 and can relate to this also.
    I'm happy so many people understand especially height wise
  • karajwilson
    karajwilson Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'9 & I'm 26 yrs old. I was at 138 lbs in july currently at 127 lbs. I've been up and down with my weight since highschool. Lost 28 lbs 3 times I always fall back into bad habits after no longer logging my calories and most likely working out less or not at all a year later. My smallest was 110 lbs in 2012. So I'm back at it again. This time I'm going to make a better plan. Hopefully I won't have to do it again unless I get pregnant.

Portion control, food awareness and exercise.
  • fabulousmomofone
    fabulousmomofone Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11" too. For me cardio is the key.
  • aniqa109
    Options
    how much cardio do you do daily?has it helped you in losing?
  • redwingsfan6712
    redwingsfan6712 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm also 4' 11" (and 3/4") LOL I can't do the ellipticals because they simply aren't a comfortable workout for me. I stick with the exercise bike, also because I have bad knees from hockey so many years ago. Cardio is what I'm doing for a month and then I'll slowly add in some strength training. I'm at 35 mins per day, 6 days a week right now. Will work up to 45 mins next month and an hour the month after that. I'm determined to fit into a bikini by the time we go to Mexico next July! I have approximately 50lbs to go
  • Dray222
    Dray222 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11" too. For me cardio is the key.

I agree! I'm also 4'11 and so happy to see so many more of you out there!
  • missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11 too. Struggling to lose at least 70.

Yeah, you can't spot reduce fat. Just try to find a program that has a mix of strength training and cardio. And make sure you get enough rest, that's important too. I like Jillian Michaels' DVDs. Leslie Sansone walking DVDs are good too.
  • britebloomz
    britebloomz Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Yeah, you can't spot reduce fat. Just try to find a program that has a mix of strength training and cardio. And make sure you get enough rest, that's important too. I like Jillian Michaels' DVDs. Leslie Sansone walking DVDs are good too.

I'm 4'11'' too and can't recommend Jillian Michaels' 30 day Shred or Ripped in 30 enough for fitness. I love her 3-2-1 interval system combining strength and cardio in just 30 minutes. I would just add that you don't have to work out 6 days a week like she recommends unless you are chasing the goal of being shredded as possible in the shortest amount of time. You can work up to that if you want but realize that you are trying to start a lifestyle of fitness so for me that means 4 days of working out. Your weight loss will be dependent on your caloric deficit, though.
    Also, unless you are trying to use certain machines at the gym, I don't think our shorter height really impedes exercise. But, I work out at home with lots of dvds and bodyweight training and haven't been to the gym in years so maybe machines have gotten much larger?
    Good luck!
  • pandalove1989
    Options

I'm 4'11'' too and can't recommend Jillian Michaels' 30 day Shred or Ripped in 30 enough for fitness. I love her 3-2-1 interval system combining strength and cardio in just 30 minutes. I would just add that you don't have to work out 6 days a week like she recommends unless you are chasing the goal of being shredded as possible in the shortest amount of time. You can work up to that if you want but realize that you are trying to start a lifestyle of fitness so for me that means 4 days of working out. Your weight loss will be dependent on your caloric deficit, though.
    Also, unless you are trying to use certain machines at the gym, I don't think our shorter height really impedes exercise. But, I work out at home with lots of dvds and bodyweight training and haven't been to the gym in years so maybe machines have gotten much larger?
    Good luck!
    Thank you! I actually have one of Jillian Micheal's DVDs and I have a walking DVD I just haven't tried it yet but I definitely will try it soon though.