Should I eat back my exercise calories when maintaining?

Options
13»

Replies

• JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I typically eat back my exercise calories. I've been maintaining for 1 year and so far so good :)
  • TacoTina
    TacoTina Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I exercise 6 days a week, watch my caloric intake for 5 months now and can't really seem to lose any weight maybe a lb here here and there but I would like to loose like 15-20 lbs. I was adding my calories burned while working out. My goal calories is 1200 them add in 500-700 calories burned. So should I stay at the 1200 calorie goal and not add the calories burned? Help I can't lose weight!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    TacoTina wrote: »
    I exercise 6 days a week, watch my caloric intake for 5 months now and can't really seem to lose any weight maybe a lb here here and there but I would like to loose like 15-20 lbs. I was adding my calories burned while working out. My goal calories is 1200 them add in 500-700 calories burned. So should I stay at the 1200 calorie goal and not add the calories burned? Help I can't lose weight!

@TacoTina
    Everyone can lose weight.

What does "exercise" actually mean? What are you doing? For how long? How are you estimating calorie 500 - 700 calorie burns?

Your food diary is full of entries using cups - that's a really inaccurate way to estimate food. Throw them away and start weighing.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm 160cm and a small build. I didn't have a lot to lose, just baby weight from my last pregnancy. My BMR is 1320 calories and I usually burn around 250-300 calories through exercise (walking/running) each day so I'm aiming to eat at 1700 calories (as I think my exercise calories are a little less compared to what my old HR monitor used to show) I'm just going to see how I go over the next few weeks. If weight increases, i'll adjust the 1700 so it's a little lower. I feel great and never thought I would be running, of all things! I'm enjoying a bit of extra food but will keep a close eye on it to make sure my numbers are working.
  • TacoTina
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

@TacoTina

What does "exercise" actually mean? What are you doing? For how long? How are you estimating calorie 500 - 700 calorie burns?

Your food diary is full of entries using cups - that's a really inaccurate way to estimate food. Throw them away and start weighing.

• TacoTina
    Options
    will do I will start weighing food instead of using a cup measure and thank you for the reply:)
  • TacoTina
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

@TacoTina

It's in her exercise diary--she's using cardio machines (elliptical, stair stepper, etc) and it appears some circuit training style classes. OP, your exercise looks fine. I would tighten up your logging (things like trail mix especially, accuracy is really important on something calorie dense). I don't know your stats or exactly how much weight you're trying to lose, but it's going to be pretty slow because you already appear to be a healthy weight.

• TacoTina
    Options
    thank you for the reply I feel pretty healthy too just would like to loose about 15 lbs, i'll start weighing food tomorrow no more cup measurements and thank you for the compliment too.