Very discouraged

Options
I've been trying to lose weight with no success I had a baby 3 months ago, so it's been a mission to work out. I tried intermittent fasting, ( not eating anything after 4 pm) and I lost 7 pounds but after a week I didn't lose anything else , so I started eating normally, as healthy as I can, put most of the weight back.
In fact the scales says I gained 3 pounds in 2 days?? Help

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight with no success I had a baby 3 months ago, so it's been a mission to work out. I tried intermittent fasting, ( not eating anything after 4 pm) and I lost 7 pounds but after a week I didn't lose anything else , so I started eating normally, as healthy as I can, put most of the weight back.

You can do everything perfectly and gain/lose 3 pounds from one day to the next. Learn about weight fluctuation.

Also learn about the concepts of weight loss. It's all about calories burned vs calories consumed and not about how "healthy" you eat. If you eat a normal diet and track your calories you will be fine assuming you have a grasp on the number of calories you burn in a day.

If you choose to fast then so be it. However choosing what time of day you consume your calories has nothing to do with weight loss.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Track your calories. Weigh food entries with a scale.
    Get on the scale once a week.
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    to start... i'm not a mom, but i have quite a few new mom friends, so i'm pulling from their conversations... there are tons of websites that give you ideas on how to get workouts in (with your baby), so maybe try to google working out with your baby.

secondly... i'm a roller coaster. always have been. until recently. i've learned that slow and steady is the way to go. log your food religiously, work out when you can (i squeeze in 30 minutes a day between my two jobs), and don't worry so much about the scale. if you're eating right, eventually it will come off, it just takes time. find a routine and stick with it.

good luck!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Sweetheart you just had a baby! You have to give your body time to heal it takes a year for your body to recover from giving birth and at 3 months post im sure not all your swelling is gone.

1. Enjoy this special time to bond with baby bc it will be over before you leave now it. Lots of cuddles.
    2. if not too exhausted try to exercise as baby naps or walk the baby
    3. if you are breastfeeding that helps burn more calories so you need to eat balanced meals
    4. give your body time to recoup it is very traumatic to the body to give birth
    5. make sure to rest and keep hydrated as much as you can
    6. tgese first few months will fly by and you and baby will get in a routine and it gets easier
    7. make sure to start baby on a sleep schedule and feed schedule this is very helpful and make sure baby is getting enough to eat if not he will be a very colicky crying baby and you will notice he has no fat layer by rubbing the skin in a pinch type measure between fingers if it is thin he needs to eat more. I learned this with my baby he was a insatiable eater after that! (This was dr guided btw) he then was much happier slept longer and was no longer waking every 15 min.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

You can do everything perfectly and gain/lose 3 pounds from one day to the next. Learn about weight fluctuation.

Also learn about the concepts of weight loss. It's all about calories burned vs calories consumed and not about how "healthy" you eat. If you eat a normal diet and track your calories you will be fine assuming you have a grasp on the number of calories you burn in a day.

If you choose to fast then so be it. However choosing what time of day you consume your calories has nothing to do with weight loss.

This 100%
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    First of all - Breathe. You've not long had a baby, go easy on the pressure, you're fine.

You likely haven't gained 3lbs in 2 days. If you are a daily weigher, expect fluctuations. This is totally and utterly normal and to be expected (hence why I only weigh once a week).

I'd definitely suggest tightening up your logging and I know it sounds nitpicky, but weigh all your food - this is absolutely vital to make sure you are eating the correct portion sizes. I spent such a long time under-estimating my calories which resulted in me over-eating most days without even knowing it. Thank the lord for my electronic scales, is all I can say! :D
  • TobyTimmyNala
    TobyTimmyNala Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I had a baby a little over 9 months ago. I gained 30 pounds during my pregnancy. It took me about 7 months to lose all of the weight, but I did it slowly because having a baby is hard work! To get my workouts in I go for stroller walks or put my little one in his exersaucer/swing while I walk on the treadmill. I also try to get some treadmill time in when my husband gets home from work because he takes over with the little one to spend time with him before he goes to bed.
  • lyndahh75
    lyndahh75 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    When my kids were babies- nap time was my time to get on a treadmill. Back then I was a stay at home mom because we couldn't afford daycare. If I had a baby today and placed it in daycare- I don't know when I'd fit exercise in. Perhaps when I got home after dinner and cleaning? Lol gosh
  • mscabrera908
    mscabrera908 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    First of all - Breathe. You've not long had a baby, go easy on the pressure, you're fine.

You likely haven't gained 3lbs in 2 days. If you are a daily weigher, expect fluctuations. This is totally and utterly normal and to be expected (hence why I only weigh once a week).

I'd definitely suggest tightening up your logging and I know it sounds nitpicky, but weigh all your food - this is absolutely vital to make sure you are eating the correct portion sizes. I spent such a long time under-estimating my calories which resulted in me over-eating most days without even knowing it. Thank the lord for my electronic scales, is all I can say! :D

I thank you so much, I'm totally obsessed and I do weight myself on a daily basis, (sometimes more than once) I am aware of weight fluctuation, but for some reason sometimes it takes days for the numbers to go down to where they were. I will take your advise and buy a food scale. I know it took 9 months to put all the weigh , gosh but it's frustrating! Thank you so much for your words, they made me feel better
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

I thank you so much, I'm totally obsessed and I do weight myself on a daily basis, (sometimes more than once) I am aware of weight fluctuation, but for some reason sometimes it takes days for the numbers to go down to where they were. I will take your advise and buy a food scale. I know it took 9 months to put all the weigh , gosh but it's frustrating! Thank you so much for your words, they made me feel better

You're very, very welcome. Take care of yourself and remember - you've got this.