losing weight with having C.O.P.D, anyone else doing this?

Options
I'm loosing weight slowly, I know because my exercising is very limited because I don't breathe real good. i did weigh 243 in April of 2014, and now weigh 208, but Iv'e been stuck here for a couple months, just wondering if there's any of you doing it too with breathing problems? I am 56 years old and a male.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I don't have COPD, but since weight loss is primarily a function of eating less calories, I can't imagine why COPD would hinder that effort.

I would think COPD would/could affect the amount and type of exercise you can do, but that's far secondary to your diet as far as weight loss is concerned.
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Wow. Congratulations. I can't imagine how hard it's been. I hope someone can help, just wanted to say kudos
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss so far!! COPD must suck. I'm sorry to hear that. I like what @ceoverturf said about weight loss is a matter of eating less than you burn. Always solid advice from him.

I took a quick peek at your diary and logging is suspect plus you have gaps in recording. You need to start using a food scale because you have a lot of entries that are measured in cups and I also saw some homemade items. Are those your recipes?

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss.
    Walking is good. Breathing techniques -- physical therapist or yoga teacher can help. Also some weight training.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    lung function will only improve w daily cardio. 4 miles a day is what is recommended.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    lung function will only improve w daily cardio. 4 miles a day is what is recommended.

Seriously? How do you know that 4 miles a day will help with lung function?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »

What are you talking about?
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    And just as a side note, Typically COPD causes you to burn more calories at rest than someone else, so your BMR should (in theory) be higher than a 56 year old male your same height and activity level. This is due to higher calorie requirements to breath. As others have said, you should still be able to lose without any extra exercise (which is needed more for health or for a higher calorie burn so you can eat more). Really track (with using a scale to make sure you are accurate) for the next week or so, and then make changes from there. While I don't have COPD, I do have reactive airway related to allergens and exercise, so I understand how uncomfortable not being able to breath can be. All about finding what works for you. Lowering your weight should make breathing more comfortable though.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My husband has COPD ( and is a singer/drummer)
    His lungs keep pretty good up because of his singing.

and he lost about 30 pounds together with me just fine.
    But we weigh all our food on a food scale.
    the COPD had or has no effect at all
  • garybarclay125
    garybarclay125 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody on the replies, ya a food scale sounds like a must. I also do all the cooking and my roommate ain't on a diet, but he don't *kitten*, he eats it.lol I do go twice a week to the hospital to there cardiac pulmanary rehab. Plus every month to the clinic on a weight loss thing I'm doing with a diatectian and a doctor. My bmi is lower too plus I do a little weight training. They think I,m doing fine, but I want to lose more yet.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options
    Thanks everybody on the replies, ya a food scale sounds like a must. I also do all the cooking and my roommate ain't on a diet, but he don't *kitten*, he eats it.lol I do go twice a week to the hospital to there cardiac pulmanary rehab. Plus every month to the clinic on a weight loss thing I'm doing with a diatectian and a doctor. My bmi is lower too plus I do a little weight training. They think I,m doing fine, but I want to lose more yet.

You dont have to be on a diet, just eat less of what you eat now. To know how much you eat ( less) use a scale ;)

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You are on a good program that will keep helping you feel better. :star:
    For some people adding low calorie vegetables to their days like squash, broccoli, green beans, cucumbers, spinach, and bell peppers helps.
    I am happy to hear that the roommate is cooperative about your cooking. Keep doing what is working for you.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options
    oh btw before i forget...check your medications too...some really dont work well with grapefruit ;)