Miracle Noodles - 0 calories/o carbs/good filler

Options
Not sure if ayone has posted about these, but I just got my first order thru amazon.com - I tried the fettuccini style ones - i think a really good first rinse is key. They really have no flavor but they are good filler ad with a low cal meat or veggie sauce, they are perfect! :happy:

Replies

• miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    What are they called and what are they made of? lol
  • LowCarbAmanda
    Options
    I love them too...now. I discovered that if, after rinsing them, you pan fry them in a dry hot pan for a few minutes, the consistency is nicer, and they hold the sauce a bit better. :)
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    They sound very interesting! I just looked them up and then looked up what glucomannan is. Very cool, thanks for sharing :)
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Seriously, what are these miracle noodles?????
  • So_Um_Yeah
    So_Um_Yeah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    They really are called Miracle Noodles!

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/

Shirataki noodles - they look like ramen or yakisoba and are made out of Glucomannan, I think? I'm going to go read about them!
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. I'm going to have to give these a try. Thanks!
  • healthy1215
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on pan frying! I love them for zero carbs ad zero calories. Just google them >miracle noodles and read about them if you want to know more.
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Wow, those are really interesting! You can only buy them online/ are they pricey?
  • donna3084
    donna3084 Posts: 9
    Options
    Does anyone know where I can buy these online in UK?
    I don't like to use Amazon as I have heard of 3 cards being cloned over the last few months and all were cloned after using Amazon.

thank you
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options
    bump!
  • maria1993
    maria1993 Posts: 112
    Options
    See, this type of thing is sad. The Japanese have used these noodles for some time now.. And since they were discovered here in America as "diet food" the price has shot up sky high and they are no longer normal, unadulterated food :-/
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    Depends on where you buy them. If you have a large asian market around, check there before a standard grocery store. I can get the Tofu ones at mine for 1.49 a package (compared to 1.99+ elsewhere). They don't carry the 'miracle' ones, but they do carry the standard yam shirataki, the black ones (seaweed flecks in it), and blocks that you can chop up yourself. The various yam packages run from .99 to 2.69.

So far I prefer the tofu ones - they seem to absorb sauce flavor better. But they all work as great filler. I like to consider them 'my salad filler.' I think the tofu angelhair ones work great for cold noodles dishes.

I also recently bought some of the powder to try as a thickening agent. I like my soups to be thick and usually use oatmeal as a thickener in them, so thought I would try this. Only tried it once - going to have to practice with it because it thickens WAY more than cornstarch. Pretty powerful stuff. Flavorless and calorie free encourages me to keep experimenting with it though.

Oh yeah, I think the powder can be used to make the noodles, though I wasn't planning on trying that.

Eh, oh yeah, the tofu ones are NOT zero calories. They're 40 cal for the whole package I think. That's still way less than my 180 cal saimin packs.

S & S brand Saimin, by the way, sans flavor packet, are a decent way to go if you want a real noodle pre-portioned. They're freezer packs, single serve. They're from hawaii and only seen them at Uwajimaya, though.
  • maria1993
    maria1993 Posts: 112
    Options

I also recently bought some of the powder to try as a thickening agent. I like my soups to be thick and usually use oatmeal as a thickener in them, so thought I would try this. Only tried it once - going to have to practice with it because it thickens WAY more than cornstarch. Pretty powerful stuff. Flavorless and calorie free encourages me to keep experimenting with it though.

Mmmmmmmm... Sounds like you could use that with some fat free chicken broth and skim milk for some guilt free gravy
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    Yea, don't waste your money ordering "miracle noodles" online. Just look for an asian food market near you and look for shirataki noodles.
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options

Mmmmmmmm... Sounds like you could use that with some fat free chicken broth and skim milk for some guilt free gravy

Oh totally plan on trying gravy. I put too much in the cup of water I was going to add to the soup - maybe a teaspon - and it thicked up like jello almost instantly. Once I get the amount to use down, I think it will rock.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've purchased these many times. They have a bad smell and unless cooked properly, taste awful.
    I finally found a way to enjoy them. I bought the angel hair. Rinse it for a very long time. Pat dry. Put into a dry hot pan. Stir them around for a few minutes. Then I added some soy, rice vinegar, wasabi and some frozen stir fry veggies.
    It was delicious!
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I'm very excited to try the Shirataki noodles! My husband purchased them on Amazon much cheaper than the original website has them priced (but they are not Italian styled, only the Asian variety). Thanks so much for the heads up on this :)
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I was just going to add a posting about who has tried these noodles... I heard about them on Dr. Oz about a month ago, but have not gone to a local asian market yet to find them... Wonder if either Trader Joe's or Costco might carry them. Probably TJ's. Can't go wrong with low cost, no cal food item.
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    i bought a single pack of these from netrition.com first so i could try them out (only retailer to sell them singly). i don't have any asian markets unless i go to chicago (which i'm not gonna do just to buy noodles). so instead i buy them from amazon. they have them in bulk on the subscribe & save program. which means you tell them how often you would your product delivered and they ship it automatically for free. they send you an email before shipping so if you need to postpone it you can. in addition to the free shipping, you also get a 15% discount on every shipment for signing up. i also get all of my 7th generation cleaning products this way.