How did you gain your weight in the first place?

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I became less active but didn't adjust my food intake downward when I was in my early-mid 20s. At a certain point I lost weight and then when I was very close to a healthy weight got pregnant. As much as I didn't like being fat, I wasn't uncomfortable enough to make any changes for a few years after that.
  • Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Stopped being single lol then it was dates out to eat all the time, that started it, now when I am bored at work or tired I want to eat/snack all day, so I am working on fixing that issue.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    My grandma died when I was around 17. I ate an XXL bag of m&ms in one day. That was my gateway drug. M&Ms.

From then on, it was cheetos and mountain dew. Add college and Monster energy drinks with a poor diet from working and going to school. Sprinkle in stress of work, a boyfriend, and never being home.

Move across the country with your spouse and those extra 20 pounds and end up having 2 pregnancies in 2 years (one of those being twins). Throw in having your combat military husband deploy 3 times in 4 years while raising 3 kids under three and working a fulltime job. Said spouse gets out of the military and has adaptation issues. Time goes by and the daily life is just one big balancing act.

I gained my weight from overeating, eating poorly, and stress.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Chalk another one up for emotional eating. That and terrible preparation, especially with bringing meals to work--which I rarely did. Instead I'd buy something every day, sometimes thinking I was making good nutritional choices when that was not the case. So, I guess emotional eating + not mindful at all.
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I especially like to weed or prune.

I read this (too quickly) as "I especially like weed" and I thought, yep, that will cause overeating...
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I didn't start gaining weight until 2008 when I got engaged and moved out of state, new job, new husband, new environment, didn't bother working out. We would get chocolate chip cookie dough and make fresh baked cookies with milk (full fat, his preference) 4 nights a week. Eat out wherever we wanted. No portion control whatsoever. That lasted from August till about November/December when I realized I had put on 15 lbs. So I started back at the gym and focused on calorie intake, lost a few pounds, then found out I was pregnant. High risk pregnancy, which means no working out at all. I gained 32 lbs in pregnancy, lost 16 within the first 6 weeks but due to breastfeeding I was constantly hungry and didn't lose anymore. I didn't go back to the gym due to being content just being a new mother/wife. 1 year post partum is when I really got back at it and it wasn't too hard to lose. But still after almost 6 years since having my son I haven't gotten back to my original weight before I moved here. Well, I might have gotten down to it once but I realized it's extremely hard for me to maintain at that weight, and totally not worth it at all. Also, I'm 30 now instead of 24, so that's a good enough excuse for me, for now, lol.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Shanel0916 and I'm a binge eater. I have always been overweight, ever since middle school I would come home after eating practically nothing all day and raid the fridge eating any and everything in sight. Now as an adult I eat during the day and have dinner but still find myself having late night binges. I have been despearately trying to control it I get it in check for a few days by always fall through eventually.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I especially like to weed or prune.

I read this (too quickly) as "I especially like weed" and I thought, yep, that will cause overeating...

Oh, this too, I forgot to mention, lol. Hence the cookies every night.........
  • Liss812
    Liss812 Posts: 18 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    A. Told myself that my medications would make me gain weight & believed it
    B. Blamed it on pregnancy
    C. Fell back into old E.D. habits
    D. Paid WAY too much attention to exercise & not enough on my nutrition
    E. My husband is a chef. A really amazing chef.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    justrollme wrote: »
    Chalk another one up for emotional eating. That and terrible preparation, especially with bringing meals to work--which I rarely did. Instead I'd buy something every day, sometimes thinking I was making good nutritional choices when that was not the case. So, I guess emotional eating + not mindful at all.

Yeah, not being mindful was an issue for me too.

Also going from being really active to not active at all without adjusting.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking and discovered the wonderful, tasty world of food. Oops, forgot about exercise to balance things out. I have learned my lesson.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    If I wanted to eat something, I just ate it.. didn't matter what it was, if I was hungry or not, etc, etc. And I ate huge portions of stuff.

Ah yes. This too.

I had very bad habits when it came to not limiting my serving sizes. If we had some sort of treat in the house (e.g., cake, cookies, etc.) my view was "I'm going to eat it all anyway so why not eat it all tonight?" Complete lack of moderation. It didn't even have to be normal treat stuff. I would routinely put my daughter down for a nap and then eat an entire sleeve of saltine crackers smeared with butter. And then I might "hydrate" with a can of sweetened condensed milk. Hahahaboohoo.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Was very active up to when I got married, had kids, and got heavy into my career. Then no time for sports/working out and ate like crap. Pretty simple, and 10 years of that went by quick and I hit 225 pounds. Not too overweight, but not in shape.

About 5 years back though I decided enough was enough. I changed up my job, changed up my eating, and with the kids being older I was able to take time to focus on myself. It wasn't just my body, but I let my mind and my spiritualism slides as well. I worked very hard to find my center and ground myself.

Always ways to improve and be a better me, but I am very happy with my progress physically, mentally, and spiritually.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I was always eating a lot!
    Owned a business, had my own huge organic garden, chickens etc etc
    No problem with the amount of food i ate.

Till the moment that i went from an athletic to totally sedentary.
    Anger, denial, bored, depressed i kept on eating what i ate when i was very active....so put on the pounds.
    Blamed life in general, so i had a good excuse right?

NOT.....i am back were i want to be in life...lost the weight and active again :)

My determination helped me and the fact i told myself "I have no excuses to not lose this weight and be again who i always was".

95069916.png
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Baby, stabbed in the eye, mom's murder. It was a rough 10 years.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Lots of factors started me on the road to eating too much, mostly emotional issues that began with some pretty heavy stuff in childhood.

However, even after unpacking a lot of that emotional baggage, I still had the habit of overeating, the bad eye for portions, and the entrenched denial about my own responsibility for my weight that I had to deal with.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Shifted to a less active job and lifestyle, started eating out more, otherwise kept eating as I had been. Didn't watch my weight. Didn't think my change in clothing size was anything special because I shifted from more casual loose fitting clothes to more formal clothes for my job. Of course they'd be tighter (I thought).

Figured out there was an issue when I was having trouble fitting into formerly loose-fitting jeans.

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots and lots of food! Chips, cake, HUGE portions. Don't get me wrong - enjoyed every second of it ;)

My body didn't though!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    As a kid, I gained weight because I was bookish, mostly sedentary, and ate too much. I lost that weight in my 20s.

As an adult, I put on weight in my 30s because I got a new job with more hours and responsibilities, spent more time driving instead of walking, didn't make time to exercise, and yet kept eating as if I were walking for transportation and exercising three times a week.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Storting a new job and not exercising as much. I love sweets and always have, but I used to be a super active person and a desk job doesn't burn many calories. Also meeting my husband and eating with him too much.