Help.people who lost10 kg-20 lbs.

Options
2»

Replies

• turboscrub
    turboscrub Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It took me just about two months exactly to lose 20lbs. I made a few changes to my diet (more protein, less beer, actually eat breakfast) but what really made the difference was going from more-or-less completely sedentary to walking 1-2 hours a day. My starting weight was 237, so I definitely had some fat ready and waiting to burn.

That said, I just talked with a friend the other day who's been struggling with hyperthyroidism for a decade and he runs 5-6 miles a day while training for a half marathon and is still gaining. Crazy.
  • eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hey everyone,

If anyone lost 20 lbs, how much time did it take you to achieve that, or what is a reasonable time frame to expect that?
    I have hypothyroidism so i am not sure what pace i should be expecting. I am aiming for 1300 calories per day (sometimes i go a bit higher but i am trying).
    Thank you.

It completely depends on where you are starting from, your height, your metabolism, how much you exercise etc.

I lost 20 pounds in just over 4 months over the summer while never eating below 1500 or above 1800 and exercising vigourously 3-6 times a week.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    turboscrub wrote: »
    It took me just about two months exactly to lose 20lbs. I made a few changes to my diet (more protein, less beer, actually eat breakfast) but what really made the difference was going from more-or-less completely sedentary to walking 1-2 hours a day. My starting weight was 237, so I definitely had some fat ready and waiting to burn.

That said, I just talked with a friend the other day who's been struggling with hyperthyroidism for a decade and he runs 5-6 miles a day while training for a half marathon and is still gaining. Crazy.

Your friend is not in a deficit then. You can not out run eating more then you need. CICO
  • turboscrub
    turboscrub Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Your friend is not in a deficit then. You can not out run eating more then you need. CICO
    Yeah, I figured.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    turboscrub wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Yeah, I figured.

Yea, cool :) I have personal knowledge regarding this. For 20 some odd years i have tried to lose the last 20 pounds and thought I could out exercise my weight. It took me only 6 months to lose the excess fat when I understood it was about CICO. Yay for me!! Weight loss is made in the kitchen.
  • Amillionsparkles
    Amillionsparkles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, lovely answers. Well my weight is around 150 lbs height around 5'5 but i don't workout a lot or follow a program i used to but the obsession lead to nowhere due to my hypo issue so now i genuinely can't go back to it. I am random about my exercise i would do jumping jacks, gym, brisk walk or just watch my calories. I don't always have the energy to do something and i feel it's because i recently cut off my medicine and i feel the symptoms are getting back (sleeping a lot or fatigue) so i am working on going back on medication and see how that works.
  • Amillionsparkles
    Amillionsparkles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds in 4 months.
    I did this quite aggressively and I discovered MFP recently which helped me slow it down and breathe a little. I wouldn't recommend giving yourself a time-limit because I don't feel it's a realistic and fair thing to do (for yourself). Ease the pressure, eat at a deficit and just take one pound at a time :]

I totally agree, i am trying to take it one day at a time. so that i don't feel overwhelmed and just binge. I try to tell my self relax tomorrow is a new day and changes will happen. I hope :)
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I Lost 31 lbs in 5 months, eating 2500 calories a day, no exercise at all, I just weight all my food out, my protein was at 1 gram for every pound of lean body mass, fats were at 20% of 2500 calories, the rest of my calories came from carbs