Satiating food -- What keeps you feeling full?

Options
What foods do you go to often to keep you feeling full?

Being fed up of feeling hungry is my number one obstacle at the moment. How do YOU manage?

Here is some stuff on the 'net about the topic, but I really want to hear first hand from the community here.

There is a Satiety Index in which the number one satiating food was said to be...potatoes! Surprising answer to me. Emphasis on carbs in that index. http://www.mendosa.com/satiety.htm

Read another write up that was fairly thorough in its analysis but leaned toward proteins.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924224414002386

And I remember from my Atkins days that the emphasis was on fats to keep you feeling full. LCHF supporters may want to weigh in.

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    For me, fiber is #1 on the satiety scale. Since my doctor recommended high fiber to me I am rarely hungry.

Protein and fat tie for the #2 spot.

Nuts are the most filling snack for me. I can't comment on potatoes since I don't like them without a lot of fat, which is already satiating for me.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    In what form do you take the fiber? And how often in the day?
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    For me, it's bacon. Love the salt, texture, flavor, protein, fat. A couple of slices of bacon can get me over any hunger hump that might come around.

Most of the time, I'm just not hungry at all. I'm one of those that gets the "not so hungry" benefit from LCHF. Plus, I use 17:7 IF, which puts me on a solid schedule and I don't really get hungry outside of my eating period. Between the two, I now just eat because I need to fulfill my macros, not specifically because I'm hungry. I get hungry occasionally. When it happens, I'm just "meh, ok I'll eat" and I move on.

ymmv
  • goldthistime
    Options
    My most filling foods btw are vegetables and fruits. I have lost weight in the past just by adopting a "no meals or snacks without adding a fruit or vegetable" rule. I'm in agreement with the nuts, kinda. I have a handful each morning after breakfast. Keeps me full, but not sure about calorie for calorie.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    In what form do you take the fiber? And how often in the day?

I eat high fiber foods like beans, high fiber cereals and pasta, vegetables and fruits. I also add flax to many dishes for both the fiber and fat.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    A baked potato is really filling for me. I top mine with greek yogurt and a little cheese. Maybe some green onions or carmelized onions, or roasted garlic.

Roasted potatoes might be as filling, but they are so darn tasty with all the surface areas browned and caramelized and crispy, I do have some issues with portion control (i.e. not wanting to go back for more, and more, cuz so good.)

Meat is very filling. And beans are too, I think because they are so high fiber and have pretty good protein content and are low fat.

Bulky low calorie vegetables are something to eat and munch on when I want something to mindlessly eat and munch on. If I want a cookie or chocolate or something, a big bowl of vegetables isn't going to do jack for me to make the craving subside because being hungry or not feeling full isn't the problem.

Fat isn't satiating for me apart from delighting my taste buds. High fat days and I do not get along.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm a volume eater, so eating lots of vegetables with all my meals is important to me. I also find fruit reasonably filling as a snack.

Other than that, protein seems to make the most difference, especially from whole foods (protein powder in oatmeal is better than nothing, but some smoked salmon on the side will be more filling). Related to this, I tend not to stay full from calories I drink at all.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Green lentils with veg stock, veggies, ham and/or bacon and fresh parsley.

Black bean and cheese quesadillas with guacamole.

Cold chickpea salad with veggies, citrus, herbs and spices.

Proats (protein powder + rolled oats) and a dash of coconut oil.

Potatoes (twice-baked ~ or diced, roasted and tossed with cheddar, scallions, bacon, sauteed onions and garlic).

Popcorn.

Coconut... ever try eating a whole coconut? Or even a half?

Salted Nuts & Seeds... along with all the water you have to drink afterward!

Meat, in general.

Pasta with meat sauce, or Bolognese.

Pizza with meat toppings.

Any type of rich and hearty, braised meat dish or stew.
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. I need this info. For me: protein and a lot of fiber such as a big green salad with a ton of veggies
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Mostly creamy, rich foods. A stronger taste seems to help. Usually they're high in fat, but not always.

Melted cheeses (esp. blue, sharp cheddar), peanut butter, an instant chocolate mousse mix I recently found and make with skim milk. The last one kept me almost uncomfortably full for hours on 2 servings at 240 cals total. Really strange.

I think I may be an outlier.
  • goldthistime
    edited September 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm a volume eater, so eating lots of vegetables with all my meals is important to me. I also find fruit reasonably filling as a snack.

Other than that, protein seems to make the most difference, especially from whole foods (protein powder in oatmeal is better than nothing, but some smoked salmon on the side will be more filling). Related to this, I tend not to stay full from calories I drink at all.

In the articles I read, where there was lots of conflicting information, calories from drinks was uniformly agreed upon to be the least satiating.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    For me, more or less in this order: Protein (like greek yogurt, soybeans (I'm vegetarian)), high volume foods (like cabbage), high fiber foods (like beans, oatmeal), fats (like nuts, avocados). But some foods have multiples of these, for the win. Also, drinking water or green/herb tea helps me feel fuller, sometimes.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm not really bothered by hunger. I've worked with the hunger scale, practice mindful eating, am careful I don't restrict too much when losing weight.

I've tried some different eating patterns; four meals seems to be ideal for me.

I do not believe in the satiety index; different foods work for different people. QED ^

For me, cravings for hyperpalatable foods are more difficult to handle than feelings of hunger. I want something in my mouth, not so much in my belly. I need taste and color and smell and texture. I eat what I like, a variety of foods works best for me, for sanity and satiety. Food from every food group every day; everything is important. I emphasize "whole foods as close to their natural state as practically possible", which seems to lessen my cravings for hyperpalatable foods. I think I'm in the "moderate everything, but with a slight inclination towards fat" macro segment.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    For me, balance is key. The closer I am to having and equal macro chart the better. I also add tons of high fiber low calorie vegetables like mushrooms, celery and cabbage to stews, soups and chili to pump up the volume.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

In the articles I read, where there was lots of conflicting information, calories from drinks was uniformly agreed upon to be the least satiating.

I've felt completely satisfied from a protein drink, yet left wanting more after a big meal. For me it seems to be a lot more related to mood than actual food intake sadly
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    A big balanced meal.
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    For me, balance is key. The closer I am to having and equal macro chart the better. I also add tons of high fiber low calorie vegetables like mushrooms, celery and cabbage to stews, soups and chili to pump up the volume.

This is my experience as well. I eat celery and cabbage in many different things. And I have a new-found love for soups and chili. When I'm hungry and want to eat the entire refrigerator, I eat a huge wedge of watermelon or a cup of soup.

• Chabela53
    Chabela53 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Protein by far!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »

Yep!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Another vote for balance.

But frankly what will fill me up for 4 hours one day might fill me up for 30 minutes the next, so I guess I'm a bit weird.