Reps and sets confusion

Options
Hey,
I'm a little confused about sets and reps and how much I should do. I'm not sure of how to explain this so I'll just give an example. Okay, well, for the dumbbell incline bench press my training log (for the program I'm doing) says to do 3 sets of 8-12 reps. I started with a 7.5 dumbbell and I was able to do 12 reps for the first set. Then since it wasn't challenging, I increased my weight to 8 pounds for the second and third rep, but I was only able to do 6 reps. I'm confused because my training log says I should be doing 3 sets of 8-12, but I wasn't able to get the second and third set to at least reach 8 reps. But if I would go lower to 7.5 it would be pretty easy. Should I stick to the 8 pounds and try to aim for another rep each week, until I make it to 8 reps and then slowly gain strength to reach the 12 reps? Also, should I increase my weights when I'm able to do 10 reps with good form or should I wait until I reach 12 reps with good form because that's the maximum the training log says to do? Thanks!
Btw I'm new to lifting.

Replies

• naynaytater
    naynaytater Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would stick to the 7.5 until you can do 3 full sets of the rep range you choose to do. The first set always seems easy! But the trick is getting that third set completed. It's not a race to see how heavy you can get, it's about keeping form and slowing increasing your weights without injury. Just my 2 cents.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I would stick to the 7.5 until you can do 3 full sets of the rep range you choose to do. The first set always seems easy! But the trick is getting that third set completed. It's not a race to see how heavy you can get, it's about keeping form and slowing increasing your weights without injury. Just my 2 cents.

Agree. Continue to use the 7.5lbs weights till you can complete 3 sets of 12 full reps, then increase the weight and repeat. Also, just throwing this out there, the rest periods between sets aren't as important as being able to achieve your rep goal, so unless you are doing some form of high intensity circuit training, then rest as much as you think you need to (within limits...couple of minutes max) between sets so you can perform more reps on that next set.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    My training philosophy is this. Every time I step in the gym, use heavier weight or do more reps than last time. If doing 12 reps is easy on my first set, I up my weight.
  • marygoya91
    marygoya91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Thanks, I'll do that :) also, once I'm able to get the three sets in with the same weight and with the maximum rep range, should I increase the weight that same day or for the next time I do that exercise?

Second question, once the weight is increased if I can only do 8 reps for the first set should that be the goal number for the second and third set, even though 8 isn't the maximum rep number? Thanks again for taking the time to read my question.
  • marygoya91
    marygoya91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    defmut3 wrote: »
    My training philosophy is this. Every time I step in the gym, use heavier weight or do more reps than last time. If doing 12 reps is easy on my first set, I up my weight.

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    marygoya91 wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm a little confused about sets and reps and how much I should do. I'm not sure of how to explain this so I'll just give an example. Okay, well, for the dumbbell incline bench press my training log (for the program I'm doing) says to do 3 sets of 8-12 reps. I started with a 7.5 dumbbell and I was able to do 12 reps for the first set. Then since it wasn't challenging, I increased my weight to 8 pounds for the second and third rep, but I was only able to do 6 reps. I'm confused because my training log says I should be doing 3 sets of 8-12, but I wasn't able to get the second and third set to at least reach 8 reps. But if I would go lower to 7.5 it would be pretty easy. Should I stick to the 8 pounds and try to aim for another rep each week, until I make it to 8 reps and then slowly gain strength to reach the 12 reps? Also, should I increase my weights when I'm able to do 10 reps with good form or should I wait until I reach 12 reps with good form because that's the maximum the training log says to do? Thanks!
    Btw I'm new to lifting.

You were able to easily do 7.5lbs for 12 but could only get 6 reps with 8lbs? That's a significant drop-off in reps with only a half-pound increase in-weight. Try doing the 3 sets for 12 reps with the 7.5lbs and see what happens.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Btw I'm new to lifting.

First set was easy, because you were not tired. It was mot the 0.5 that made this big a difference.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Hey,
    Btw I'm new to lifting.

First set was easy, because you were not tired. It was mot the 0.5 that made this big a difference.

Being tired is not going to take you from 12 EASY reps to 6 MAX reps, something is not right there.
  • naynaytater
    naynaytater Posts: 13 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Hey,
    Btw I'm new to lifting.

Being tired is not going to take you from 12 EASY reps to 6 MAX reps, something is not right there.

I find that the last 2 or 3 reps in my last set are the hardest and that lets me know I'm at the right weight at that time. When I can get all 12 reps done in the last set without struggling, that's when I go up in weight and start the process again.

• Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Hey,
    Btw I'm new to lifting.

I find that the last 2 or 3 reps in my last set are the hardest and that lets me know I'm at the right weight at that time. When I can get all 12 reps done in the last set without struggling, that's when I go up in weight and start the process again.

And that's fine, nothing wrong with that. I'm just curious as to how the OP could go from 7.5 to 8 and have such a large drop-off in reps when the first 12 were easy. If there first 12 were a struggle I could understand it better as a max rep effort can be very fatiguing.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I would do the reps with the 8-pound. Rest between sets. I have to lift heavy to gain power. So, if I want more strength, I know I have to lift heavier.
  • stillMR305
    stillMR305 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It has always been suggested that when given a rep range, the last 2 or 3 should be forced reps. Meaning, if you can skate through them rather easily you should then UP the weight. Also, make sure you're doing the exercise correctly. Because if you're cheating it or have incorrect/insufficient posture, it will do more harm.
  • fitrep1
    fitrep1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, how did you come up with 7.5 for your start weight?
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,145 Member
    Options
    fitrep1 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, how did you come up with 7.5 for your start weight?

I agree because at my gym most of the dumbells are not in 0.5 increments. Maybe the OP actually started at 7lbs so she actually went up one lb/arm in her second set, thus the problem to complete at last 8 reps.

• fitrep1
    fitrep1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well, there are 7.5 and you can get them up to 15 in .5 increments. I am gearing the question more to why 7.5 to start?
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,145 Member
    Options
    fitrep1 wrote: »
    Well, there are 7.5 and you can get them up to 15 in .5 increments. I am gearing the question more to why 7.5 to start?

I wish I could get them in 0.5lbs increments but not such luck for me.

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I would stick with the lighter weight until you can get your 3x12 Then pick a weight that you can get about 8 and work your way back to 12. Eastcoast Jim