Advice on trouble eating enough

Options
Trying to gain weight, range is around 3200 to 3600 calories total per day. I weigh 183, my goal is 185 to start. My problem is just being able to eat my planned meals..it's good and healthy I'm just really to full to eat that much in a day. I lift 3 to 4 times a week so the goal is to get big but I'm stuck here. Any suggestions or advice would be awesome.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    let me guess you are trying to bulk on a diet of 100% chicken, fish, and vegetables…???

if yes, then you need to add in calorie dense foods like ice cream, pasta, bagels, rice, full fat foods, etc to help you get in a surplus. yes, you should be meeting your micronutrient requirements, but once those are met there is nothing wrong with eating calorie dense foods..

please define what you mean by "good and healthy"?

• flex32111
    flex32111 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do scrowly22 is to add in some "bad" foods. Really no such thing as a good or bad food, just eating foods in moderation is key. But I would add in some snacks. If you want a bag of chips, or some cookies, you could. This is how I get an extra 300-400 calories in my diet, just having some sort of snack really boosts your overall calories, if you need any more help let me know and I could help you out
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    don't listen to those anti-broccoli, anti-fiber people. if you gain weight by eating 500 snickers, the weight might be full of toxins. the secret is start early ... 1 hour after waking and eat over 15 hours. i eat broccoli, ground flax seeds, oatmeal, etc and i'm putting on 2-3 lbs a week. cold weather also stimulates hunger
    8mzqmwjs96au.jpg

What?!

I'd love to see some empirical literature on this toxin filled fat.
  • oh_happy_day
    Options
    OP, I'd be adding cheese and avocado to everything! Nutritious and calorie dense. And delicious! Grains, nuts, full fat dairy, dark chocolate, peanut butter etc. put sauce on everything. Try drinking your calories (e.g. calorie dense smoothies - think full cream milk, protein powder, peanut butter, banana etc).
  • scrowley22
    scrowley22 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    let me guess you are trying to bulk on a diet of 100% chicken, fish, and vegetables…???

if yes, then you need to add in calorie dense foods like ice cream, pasta, bagels, rice, full fat foods, etc to help you get in a surplus. yes, you should be meeting your micronutrient requirements, but once those are met there is nothing wrong with eating calorie dense foods..

Wow thanks everyone so far. Yea kinda nailed it there, I do add rice though and some other things. I was just staying away from calorie dense foods. I took a drastic change about two months ago and quit smoking started eating more. I started lifting 4 times a week before that and just stuck to chicken fish and veggies.
  • oh_happy_day
    Options

Just FYI that's not empirical literature, that's just an article on a website to sell health food. I meant a scientific, peer reviewed journal article.
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Just FYI that's not empirical literature, that's just an article on a website to sell health food. I meant a scientific, peer reviewed journal article.
    Most of the advice people give is going to be from websites with no backing, the person that wrote linked the how to bulk for newbies was banned on this site. I found that interesting. I don't condone being afraid of "bad foods", but the guy has a point, we know that the body is effected by different foods, because no matter what people want to believe a calorie is not just a calorie, it's what they are broken down into a carb, protein and fat and have different roles. Not to mention nutritional, vitamins and minerals.
  • oh_happy_day
    Options
    JoshLibby wrote: »

Most of the advice people give is going to be from websites with no backing, the person that wrote linked the how to bulk for newbies was banned on this site. I found that interesting. I don't condone being afraid of "bad foods", but the guy has a point, we know that the body is effected by different foods, because no matter what people want to believe a calorie is not just a calorie, it's what they are broken down into a carb, protein and fat and have different roles. Not to mention nutritional, vitamins and minerals.

There's a difference between discussing nutrition and pseudo-science about 'toxins'. The guy said that some foods could create 'toxin filled fat'. If you're going to make a statement like that, then back it up with some actual science. I have real issue with people spouting woo and pseudo-science because the general public's level of scientific literacy is so poor that many people actually believe it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    don't listen to those anti-broccoli, anti-fiber people. if you gain weight by eating 500 snickers, the weight might be full of toxins. the secret is start early ... 1 hour after waking and eat over 15 hours. i eat broccoli, ground flax seeds, oatmeal, etc and i'm putting on 2-3 lbs a week. cold weather also stimulates hunger. broccoli is a bodybuilding staple. research what jay cutler ate you need all those vitamins and compounds for enzyme activation
    8mzqmwjs96au.jpg

please go back and read what we said ….we said hit micronutrient needs first and then fill in with calorie dense foods after said needs are made.

and please stop with the toxins pseudo science that you keep peddling …500 calories of broccoli = 500 calories of snickers from an energy standpoint; however, they are not nutritional twins.

good luck bulking on a diet of 50% broccoli….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    JoshLibby wrote: »

the fact that that poster was banned changes absolutely nothing about the information contained in that post. If you want to challenge something contained in that post, then please feel free to do so with science and fact based info ….

yes, a calorie is a calorie from an energy standpoint; however, not all calories are the same nutritionally.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    scrowley22 wrote: »

Wow thanks everyone so far. Yea kinda nailed it there, I do add rice though and some other things. I was just staying away from calorie dense foods. I took a drastic change about two months ago and quit smoking started eating more. I started lifting 4 times a week before that and just stuck to chicken fish and veggies.

once your micronutrient needs are met you do not get extra credit for more micronutrients….so there is nothing wrong with filling in with calorie dense foods like ice cream, bagels, pasta, etc….try adding some of these foods to your diet and you will find it easier to meet your calorie goal.

congrats on the lifestyle change.
  • JoshLibby
    edited September 2015
    Options
    don't listen to those anti-broccoli, anti-fiber people. if you gain weight by eating 500 snickers, the weight might be full of toxins. the secret is start early ... 1 hour after waking and eat over 15 hours. i eat broccoli, ground flax seeds, oatmeal, etc and i'm putting on 2-3 lbs a week. cold weather also stimulates hunger. broccoli is a bodybuilding staple. research what jay cutler ate you need all those vitamins and compounds for enzyme activation
    8mzqmwjs96au.jpg

please go back and read what we said ….we said hit micronutrient needs first and then fill in with calorie dense foods after said needs are made.

and please stop with the toxins pseudo science that you keep peddling …500 calories of broccoli = 500 calories of snickers from an energy standpoint; however, they are not nutritional twins.

good luck bulking on a diet of 50% broccoli….

No one said bulk on a diet of 50% broccoli, taking words out of context doesn't prove a point, it's just arguing to argue.

Beside all your information you give is not even supported by science. It seems you like to talk about how a person needs science to back up credentials and never have done so yourself. Flawed opinions is what you'll post. Even if you do post something there is a million other "credited" sources to disproof the study you posted.

Carbs are in everything, so you'll come back and say carbs are the most important thing in a bulk. Yet, most trainers and professionals that need to bulk live by the diet you think is wrong. They get carbs, but they are "good" carbs. They eat a lot of learn proteins and carbs like rice. Fruits and vegetables yes broccoli.

Every actor that has bulked up for 8+ months, ( even if on something ) still eats a clean diet, but you'll stand by a preach your any carb views, with no baking. Just information on how carbs work, we know how they work...

Dwayne Johnson has one cheat meal a month, and he eats something like 4 boxes of doughnuts and like 5+ pizzas . yet his bulk is clean. I think he used carbs as a time source and a refeed, but does not recommend eating ice cream like many people do here.

Actors that have to put on 15-25 pounds of muscle for movie rules are on the same diet. Jason Statham, Robert Downy. Jr for Iron man 1, Chris Evans, or Chris Pratt. Why am I bringing up actors? Because, besides money, they are similar to someone who need to bulk a few months for a few pounds of muscle, not fat, or the average MFP users. Most people just want to add a few pounds not go on stage.

It's really strange all these people have one thing in common, their diet and that fact they they lift, they all told story's of their bulk and how much chicken breast r ice, broccoli they ate.

So, If my goal is to bulk I' m going believe people Like Jeff Calvierly (spelling), who is a physical Therapist, worked with many people, athletes like Sting, the Boston Redsox baseball team. Or Frank Zane, who wrote a book, and in it and states bulking is pretty much a waste of time. Dwayne Johnson who is huge! I tend to go by result, not some vague report/article that someone did a bias study on.

[post edited by MFP mod]

• ndj1979
    Options
    I'm just going by what bodybuilders eat. clean carbs. rice, potatoes, oatmeal, lean meats, Ezekiel bread. My breakfast is 1 cuP of oatmeal with butter, honey, ground flax seeds... and a New Zealand grass fed whey shake in almond milk. That's like 700 calories. I don't work. I'm disabled and stay home, so I can eat all day. if I did WORK, it would be very difficult. I have nothing against calorie dense foods, I rely on 2 power bars a day, but i look forward to eating 2 cups of broccoli. It digests easily and it is nutrient dense, (if lightly steamed) may suppresses thyroid function . Did Popeye eat spinach because we want to promote our kids to eat it? or is it because eating cruciferous vegetables (like broccoli) suppresses thyroid function?

please explain to me what a clean carb is and how that distinguishes from other carbs...
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    8mzqmwjs96au.jpg

You make me want to deactivate my account
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I'm just going by what bodybuilders eat. clean carbs. rice, potatoes, oatmeal, lean meats, Ezekiel bread. My breakfast is 1 cuP of oatmeal with butter, honey, ground flax seeds... and a New Zealand grass fed whey shake in almond milk. That's like 700 calories. I don't work. I'm disabled and stay home, so I can eat all day. if I did WORK, it would be very difficult. I have nothing against calorie dense foods, I rely on 2 power bars a day, but i look forward to eating 2 cups of broccoli. It digests easily and it is nutrient dense, (if lightly steamed) may suppresses thyroid function . Did Popeye eat spinach because we want to promote our kids to eat it? or is it because eating cruciferous vegetables (like broccoli) suppresses thyroid function?

please explain to me what a clean carb is and how that distinguishes from other carbs...

A clean carb = 1 ingredient
    examples = Apples, peppers, etc.

Other carbs = More than 1 ingredient
    Examples = bread, snickers bars, Soda etc.
  • JoshLibby
    Options

A clean carb = 1 ingredient
    examples = Apples, peppers, etc.

Other carbs = More than 1 ingredient
    Examples = bread, snickers bars, Soda etc.