How do you all stay motivated?!

Options

Replies

• Werk2Eat
    Werk2Eat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I woke up frumpy, fat, and fifty+!!
    'Bugger that' I thought, and made a commitment to change me and my life.

1. my before pic.

jggrmq82v3br.jpg

A year of serious cico, and actually exercising for the first time in my life, produced the me I want to be.

Here are some pics for feeling great at 60+.
    Hope they inspire you, and sorry there are so many.
    Weight isn't a problem anymore, but trips like these keep me going to the gym.

2 mud baths in the the Caribbean.
    3 beach, Goa, India.
    4 love life blooming, again, Vegas.
    5 slinky dress, Med? Cruise.
    6 rappeled down waterfall in PV.
    7 elephant ride, India.

Cheers, h.
    5'1, 62yo, 100-105 lb, maintained 6 yr.

Thats some crazy 2/3rd life crisis you had. You only live once, live it while you still can.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    I woke up frumpy, fat, and fifty+!!
    'Bugger that' I thought, and made a commitment to change me and my life.

5'1, 62yo, 100-105 lb, maintained 6 yr.

That's excellent! :grin:

I sort of had a moment like that too.

Just before Christmas 2014 I decided I had enough of being plump and relatively inactive, and started to exercise and eat better.
    January I had a pair of unrelated cancer scares ... two surgeries a week apart. One was all clear, the other was "probably OK, but keep monitoring".
    February, when I had recovered, I started here.

I'm in my late 40s and before I turned 50, I wanted to try to get down to my early 30s weight again. And I've done it!! :smiley: Now that spring is here, I want to start building up to my early 30s activity level again too.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    . . . I find commitments to others wind up overriding commitments to myself. Probably wrong of me, but it's my default.
    Our commitments to others fare poorly if we die young. Just sayin'! But I digress....

For me, as with others, ongoing motivation is kinda irrelevant. I've been cheerfully fat for *decades*. Back in April something snapped. I got fed up with conditions and diseases that would be less likely if I were at a healthy weight: Breast cancer, sleep apnea, torn meniscus/knee pain, high cholesterol, borderline blood pressure, most recently adenomyomatosis of the gall bladder.

A switch flipped in my head, and I decided to lose weight. Now I'm doing it: 42 of 60-some pounds gone, and in normal BMI range for the first time since the 1980s.

Seriously, I wish I knew how to make such a switch flip: I have other stuff I'd kinda like to accomplish. Don't want it enough, for serious, I guess?
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I personally have no effective external motivators. I don't see things or read things and go "YEAH I'm back on track!" I do think "wow that's so awesome for them, what a cool person!" and for that, progress photos are awesome and I love seeing them! It just doesn't affect me or my decisions.

What has felt cool is my clothes fitting differently and seeing a new number on the scale. That's encouraging and makes me want to continue and keep learning about health.

Mostly, I just don't want diabetes and heart attacks like my mom and my grandpa. I'd like to not hurt all over all the time anymore. I'd like to be less tired. I want to care about myself, and I'm hoping fake it till you make it applies.
  • jbuzzed
    jbuzzed Posts: 10,173 Member
    Options
    My Garmin Vivofit and I like to try on my skinny clothes.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I don't. To me motivation comes and goes. I focus on my goals....my commitment to them and the plans in place that I have to make those goals a reality. I focus on commitment and determination and let motivation come and go...while I take little notice.

I know it may seem like semantics, but to me commitment is doing something whether you really want to do it or not. Motivation is hard to find when you don't want to....commitment (at least for me), is less so.

So basically you are determined to keep a commitment to yourself..that's motivation to keep your own promise. Definitely semantics haha. No matter what car you drive as long as you get to the right destination it doesn't matter

Meh. To me they are significantly different. I have never been, nor will I ever be remotely motivated to get up at 5am on Tuesdays and Thursdays to go running. However, I am committed to my running and so the alarm goes off and I put my shoes on and head out the door....sadly now in the dark.

You are motivated. That's why you do it.

I think people are confusing motivation with "feeling like doing" something.

You may not feel like going to class, but you go because you want to pass and graduate. You may not feel like going to work, but you go because you need the money. You may not feel like getting up and running but you do it....for whatever reason you have.

The graduation, cash and whatever it is you want - that's the motivation.

Motivation is what carries you when you don't feel like doing something. You cannot be determined or committed unless you're motivated to be determined and committed.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Learn to enjoy the process. Enjoy yoru diet. If you are not enjoying it, then you need to tweak your methods and by that i do not mean eat more crap. I mean improve the quality of the food you are eating and eat enough.

Second, the way i keep myself motivated apart from thsi is by being committed to the idea that i do not want to be fat ever again. So far so good. I believe this will work as it has for hte last 20 months.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
  • asteriskthat
    asteriskthat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My biggest motivation is seeing the results - however small. Weighing less one weigh-in than previously, seeing my measurements creep down, liking what I see in the mirror, building a long log-in streak (so far, each streak has been longer than the last).
    However, @MommyL2015 has it right in saying that patience is key; I've just come from a two week stall where I was UP and now my weight has dropped to below pre-stall weight! Without the patience and knowledge I have, that would have frustrated me so much!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I don't. To me motivation comes and goes. I focus on my goals....my commitment to them and the plans in place that I have to make those goals a reality. I focus on commitment and determination and let motivation come and go...while I take little notice.

I know it may seem like semantics, but to me commitment is doing something whether you really want to do it or not. Motivation is hard to find when you don't want to....commitment (at least for me), is less so.

Well said.

Motivation isn't some blinding flash of light that fixes everything for evermore. No, we will always have doubts and reluctance.

To me, progress is about goals, and my goals are fueled by my data: my Happy Scale app showing my downward weight trend; My iPhone 6 Health app counting my steps and my wish to improve my personal best at least once a month; MFP's Reports... all this data is showing me how well I'm doing, and I just want it to continue till I'm seeing a long, flat line from years of maintenance. :)
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I am using a booked holiday in December as motivation. Everyday I focus on that holiday, I imagine how amazing I'll look and feel when I get to my goal weight.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My motivation comes from having multiple goals that are a mix of simple to achieve through to ones which take alot of work.

My current simple goal is 95kg

Slightly harder goal is sub4 hour marathon in 4 weeks

longterm goals are

90kg
    sub 20 min 5K
    sub 42 min 10k
    sub 100 min half marathon

Once I make the simple goal the 90kg goal gets moved up a category and I carry on
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    This is important to be so motivation just.. Happens, I guess.
    I don't want to be overweight and unhealthy. I want to be proud of myself and my achievements. For me, that's enough to keep me going :)
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Motivation: At 63, my motivation has changed dramatically from what it would have been 30 years ago. For example, I really don't care how I look anymore, I'm just too old. These keep me going, though.

Health: Cholesterol too high. Trying to get it down and keep it that way using diet and exercise

Food: I'd like to be able to eat somewhat like a normal person instead of weighing every bite and living on water, baked chicken breasts and spinach for the rest of my life. I had a high calorie pumpkin spice latte this morning, something I could not have without exercise. Exercise gives me some extra calories.

My Dog: She has to be walked whether or not I feel like it. She needs her walk and loves her walk and I love her - I can't indulge in "I don't wanna". As long as we're out there, we may as well run until I'm gasping and she's dragging behind me. It's good for both of us, and it's not negotiable. Sometimes motivation is what you have to do instead of what you'd like to do.
  • SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think motivation is overrated. You certainly need it to start, but once new habits form, it's just "life." None of it seems out of the ordinary anymore.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Learn to enjoy the process. Enjoy yoru diet. If you are not enjoying it, then you need to tweak your methods and by that i do not mean eat more crap. I mean improve the quality of the food you are eating and eat enough.

Second, the way i keep myself motivated apart from thsi is by being committed to the idea that i do not want to be fat ever again. So far so good. I believe this will work as it has for hte last 20 months.

This pretty much says it. It's not motivation, it is my new way of living. I no longer eat whatever I want. It now all has to fit into my (calorie) budget. My wife will sometimes chastize me about logging in during dinner out. "I'm just checking to see if I can afford dessert" I reply. Instead of money controling what I eat, it's calories. Works for me ;-) Gonna need to buy new (smaller) suits.
  • sakurablush
    sakurablush Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm just over half way losing the weight I want to lose now (between 20-35 ibs to go).

To be honest I don't even focus on the weight loss anymore. Aside from pre-logging into MFP and making a mental note to drink water it's just something I do now. i think the trick is once you stop making an effort to lose weight and start focusing on life, friends and accept that new habits are there to stay, it stops bothering you.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I consider the alternative. Okay I can slowly lose weight or I can slowly get fatter and less able to move and enjoy life. Only 33 pounds lost and I already notice things like,

My knees don't hurt nearly as much.
    I don't get winded as much.
    My clothes fit better
    I am more comfortable sitting in a booth at a restaurant
    I can get on my horse from the ground again.
    When sensei throws me I can roll out of the fall and onto my feet faster.
    My seatbelt does not have as far to go
    I don't displace as much water in the tub.
    Getting out of the tub is much easier.
    When I bend over to trim a horse I can see past my chest
    When I look down I don't see my belly

Some days I have no motivation at all. On those days I just do it because not doing it is just not an option anymore. And I do it because after 6 months of doing it, it's just habit.
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I just look at how fat I am. Squish the rolls a bit. Works like a charm. P:
  • jsmestflowers
    jsmestflowers Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Kids, my children keep me motivated. My little guy the other day sees me on the tread mill and says "Daddy fighting the chub!" All I needed. I am fighting the chub..and the chub is going down! :)