Constipation

Options
raymax4
raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
Since I have increased my protein intake I have been having problems with constipation. (A problem I have never had before).
I have been eating plenty of fiber and drinking a lot of water. I stop tracking water intake after 9 glasses.
Am I doing something wrong?
If you look into my food diary 9/16 was not a typical day. Please move past that

Replies

• Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Common problem with increased protein.

Make sure you're getting adequate water, it takes more water for the body to metabolize protein than the other macros. Also make sure you're getting enough sodium which most of us do simply by the nature of our diets. You could try added a probiotic and if you are still having problems a digestive enzyme can help. Peoples knee jerk reaction is to automatically up fiber intake,but for some people that just compounds the problem. Obviously make sure you are hitting the minimum fiber requirements.
    The good news is your body will eventually adapt.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Are you also getting enough fat? Low fat can cause constipation. Also, if you are using whey protein to increase your fiber that could be the problem.
  • RadiantChange
    RadiantChange Posts: 57 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    There is a wonderful thing that is also a protein called kefir...Get it whole, pure and raw. A good product is called, Grace Harbor Kefir plain. It is an amazing probiotic. Also eating more probiotic foods such as olive, pickles, sauerkraut, kimchi, or drinking a good kombucha tea. If you're not doing dairy, use goats Kefir. Drink a cup a day with some blueberries or apple. Eating foods that are rich in probiotic elements keeps the old pipes a moving. All the best to you!
  • TinyTexn59
    TinyTexn59 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I agree on the kefir, kombucha and probiotic foods. It is easy to buy, but tastes best homemade. Again, homemade is better than store bought. When you get to probiotic foods, you have to stress homemade as well, since processed products have been pastureized and lose their probiotic effect. It is more work to produce these things but the benefits are wonderful.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Are you also getting enough fat? Low fat can cause constipation. Also, if you are using whey protein to increase your fiber that could be the problem.

This^

Fiber, fat & activity....and hydration.

There are two types of fiber: soluble & insoluble. Make sure you are getting both as they serve separate functions.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/insoluble-soluble-fiber
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    This is a problem I've been plagued with, especially if my daily intake is closer to 1200. I checked your diary and noticed that you're not tracking your fiber macros. I would recommend you switch your settings to track it for a bit. I had assumed I was getting tons of fiber because I ate a lot of lettuce and salads, but a serving of lettuce and most greens is only around 2 grams. The average person needs between 21 and 35 grams of fiber a day. When I notice my fiber is low, I take 2 FiberWell gummies and put chia seeds in my yogurt or oatmeal, and that helps. Also, adding dietary fat, particularly animal fat, like bacon, seems to help.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Oil, water.
    Perhaps magnesium oxide.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to someone the other day who said when she ate the Quest bars, she had trouble moving her bowels. So many MFP people eat those things and I've never seen one complain about digestive issues.

But I'm curious. Do you eat protein bars?
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I just started eating quest bars and actually they got things moving again lol
  • raymax4
    Options
    Common problem with increased protein.

Make sure you're getting adequate water, it takes more water for the body to metabolize protein than the other macros. Also make sure you're getting enough sodium which most of us do simply by the nature of our diets. You could try added a probiotic and if you are still having problems a digestive enzyme can help. Peoples knee jerk reaction is to automatically up fiber intake,but for some people that just compounds the problem. Obviously make sure you are hitting the minimum fiber requirements.
    The good news is your body will eventually adapt.

I eat a lot of Greek yogurt.
  • raymax4
    Options

The amount of fat in my diet vetoes a lot I'll look into it thanks
  • raymax4
    Options
    There is a wonderful thing that is also a protein called kefir...Get it whole, pure and raw. A good product is called, Grace Harbor Kefir plain. It is an amazing probiotic. Also eating more probiotic foods such as olive, pickles, sauerkraut, kimchi, or drinking a good kombucha tea. If you're not doing dairy, use goats Kefir. Drink a cup a day with some blueberries or apple. Eating foods that are rich in probiotic elements keeps the old pipes a moving. All the best to you!

Just looked kefir up intresting
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    raymax4 wrote: »

The amount of fat in my diet vetoes a lot I'll look into it thanks
    Too low fat would be my guess too. I would consider trying 0.4grams fat per pound of body weight as a minimum for a few weeks.

• raymax4
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    This is a problem I've been plagued with, especially if my daily intake is closer to 1200. I checked your diary and noticed that you're not tracking your fiber macros. I would recommend you switch your settings to track it for a bit. I had assumed I was getting tons of fiber because I ate a lot of lettuce and salads, but a serving of lettuce and most greens is only around 2 grams. The average person needs between 21 and 35 grams of fiber a day. When I notice my fiber is low, I take 2 FiberWell gummies and put chia seeds in my yogurt or oatmeal, and that helps. Also, adding dietary fat, particularly animal fat, like bacon, seems to help.

I am keeping track of fiber I range from 21 to 45 grams the highest out lite is 67 the lowest was 19 g once
  • raymax4
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Oil, water.
    Perhaps magnesium oxide.

Didn't know about laxative effects of mg oxide
  • raymax4
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I was just talking to someone the other day who said when she ate the Quest bars, she had trouble moving her bowels. So many MFP people eat those things and I've never seen one complain about digestive issues.

But I'm curious. Do you eat protein bars?

I will occasionally have a protein shake when I need to ad protein and have no more Pantene for more food. Maybe 1 to 2 a week I use to like the cliff chocolate mint bars. I'm not sure why I haven't had one for awile
  • raymax4
    Options
    Thank you all for your posts
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Nuts and coconut oil are, by far, the most effective food-laxatives I've ever eaten.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    When I have that problem I have a tablespoon of oil, a black coffee, abdomen massage...and good to go.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Trampoline. Seriously.