Weight loss and BMR?

Options
Hi guys, I'm Jamie! :)

I'm 25 years old, 5'11 and approximately 9st13lbs, with a 28'' waist. My BMI is 19.3 and my BMR is 1657.44, with this in mind, I'd ideally like to be about 9st4lbs,

My BMR is 1657.44, meaning this is how many Calories I burn each day without actually doing anything. There are 3,500 calories in every pound of weight, so if I was to reduce my calorie intake to 1000, for example, then my body would statistically lose a pound in weight every week or so? Is this right? Plus excercise would boost that to an increased rate.

Thanks guys! :)

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    The healthy weight range for your height is 9st7 - 12st12. Is there a reason you want to be underweight?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is already at the very low end of healthy. I would not suggest losing anymore weight. You should eat AT LEAST your BMR, and add calories for activities and exercise. Why would you want to lose 9lbs? Do you feel flabby? If that's the case, try eating maintenance calories and lift weights.
  • polenate
    polenate Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's not so much that I feel flabby, although I do have a bit of a tummy podge. But I want to be even slimmer, my jawline isn't as sharp as it used to be, and it bugs me a lot. I'm in an industry that requires me to be very trim and slender.
  • polenate
    Options
    What would happen if I ate below my BMR?
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    polenate wrote: »
    What would happen if I ate below my BMR?

Nothing, other than weight loss
  • polenate
    Options
    Would my body enter starvation mode?
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options

I'm 25 years old, 5'11 and approximately 9st13lbs, with a 28'' waist. My BMI is 19.3 and my BMR is 1657.44, with this in mind, I'd ideally like to be about 9st4lbs,

My BMR is 1657.44, meaning this is how many Calories I burn each day without actually doing anything. There are 3,500 calories in every pound of weight, so if I was to reduce my calorie intake to 1000, for example, then my body would statistically lose a pound in weight every week or so? Is this right? Plus excercise would boost that to an increased rate.

Please learn more about nutrition, there are helpful stickies at the top. If you believe that your industry (I'm guessing modelling?) will prefer you to be unhealthy it may be time to change your agency.

• jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Would my body enter starvation mode?

It might if you are less then 5% bodyfat already.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    BMR is what your body uses to keep you alive. To moderate your body temperature, digest food, pump blood, circulate oxygen, etc. etc. etc. If you're in a coma, you'd need this to maintain. I'm assuming you are not a comatose person, and that you move during your day. How much you move determines your activity level, and burns more calories. At the most basic level you burn 15-20% of your BMR to move thru your day. If you are on your feet alot for work/hobbies/lifestyle then you would burn at a higher rate. Then you burn calories for exercise.

So even without exercise, eating at 1000 would likely cause to loss of muscle tissue, and other potential healthy problems.

• ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Have you considered doing a recomposition? You'll end up weighing more, but you'll be much more fit, with the definition that you're looking for.