Everyone can see my weight loss but me?

Options
I've lost about 30 pounds from my highest weight, and am down two sizes. My pants and watch are loose and my hip and rib bones seem to poke out more than before, but I still can't "see" my weightloss when I look in the mirror. Friends, family and coworkers have mentioned that I look like I lost a lot of weight and look slimmed down, so I guess I must look a little different. But why can't I see the weight loss in the mirror and how long until my brain catches up with my body?

Replies

• danikaiwai
    danikaiwai Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Heya
    Im the same. Ive lost 40kgs and when i look in the mirror i still view my self at my biggest.
  • tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    maybe you could look at a photo of yourself 30 pounds ago and then right away look in the mirror. You might then see what your friends/family/coworkers are seeing.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have this issue- I've lost 40lbs so far but just cant seem to see a difference in the mirror. Luckily I took some 'before' photos, so when I start feeling like there's no difference I just take new 'after' photos or look at my recent comparison photo to remind myself what a difference I've made. Even if you didnt take before photos you could take them now to compare from in the future- or you could compare recent photos with older ones :)
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    jrc5423 wrote: »
    I've lost about 30 pounds from my highest weight, and am down two sizes. My pants and watch are loose and my hip and rib bones seem to poke out more than before, but I still can't "see" my weightloss when I look in the mirror. Friends, family and coworkers have mentioned that I look like I lost a lot of weight and look slimmed down, so I guess I must look a little different. But why can't I see the weight loss in the mirror and how long until my brain catches up with my body?

You see yourself everyday and don't notice the changes.

Your appearance changes over a years time but you don't notice unless you look at pictures of yourself from a year ago. However if you haven't seen someone in a year you can easily notice the difference
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I still can't see my weight loss except in "before" pictures. I instead see myself at 110 pounds and am aghast when I accidentally catch my reflection in a mirror or window even though I've lost 30 pounds so far. 30 more to go.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    In most cases, you are your own worst critic. I think this is what is happening here.

Realistically and logically, you know you've lost weight. Your clothes are looser and you can see definition where you previously couldnt - of course you've lost weight. The mind can kind of refuse to believe it for a while due to being so used to looking a certain way for so long. Hang in there, you'll see it and you'll be amazed at yourself. Well done :)
  • twinjamom6
    twinjamom6 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    In most cases, you are your own worst critic. I think this is what is happening here.

Realistically and logically, you know you've lost weight. Your clothes are looser and you can see definition where you previously couldnt - of course you've lost weight. The mind can kind of refuse to believe it for a while due to being so used to looking a certain way for so long. Hang in there, you'll see it and you'll be amazed at yourself. Well done :)

This!
    I think that is very accurate. Even though I notice my pants are getting too big and shirts don't fit like they used to, I still see myself as that nearly 200 lb girl in the mirror. I think it's because we saw ourselves like that for so long, we are used to it and it takes your brain a few to catch up.
  • tomofnj
    tomofnj Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It takes time to wrap your head around your own looks/changes. We all go thru that, so you're in good company :)
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have a workout shirt that I've been using since the beginning. It barely covered my butt in the beginning and it is now down by my knees. It gives me perspective. I told the guy at the gym that I will wear that shirt until I look like Sweetpea. Your probably have to be pretty old to know who Sweet pea is.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

It usually takes an unexpected view of yourself in a mirror you didn't know was there or your reflection in a window to finally "see" the weight loss. If your brain is no longer thinking about what your eyes are seeing, the reality will hit and you could easily tell yourself "Dang, looking good there kiddo".

• soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    jrc5423 wrote: »

Im jealous, I lost exactly 30lbs and no one can see my weightloss but me :( I have been doing a combination of heavy lifting and cardio at a deficit and I haven't lost a single pants size :'(