Daily Calorie Allowance?

Options
I'm confused, mfp says to eat 1500 calories a day but i'm doing a weight loss competition and was told to eat my weight X 7 and when i do that it comes out to 1883. The first week on i started i lost 10.6 pounds, last week i gained .6 pounds and this week i haven't lost anything. Should I up my calories? Or just give it another week??

Replies

• OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Eating more will slow down your weight loss.

It is impossible to answer your question without knowing your height, weight, and speed of loss goals.

I describe how to figure it out here.

Osric
  • kimmym0324
    kimmym0324 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sorry, i'm 5'6, 269 pounds and apx 2-3 pounds a week
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    the size of your deficit is going to determine your rate of loss...nothing to be confused about, it's just math.

also, weight loss isn't a linear function. it is common to have big losses the first week as you lose a lot of water and you have less inherent waste in your system...ergo you weigh less on the scale. after the first week or two, it levels off. at this point it is important to watch trends...you will have weeks with smaller losses, bigger losses, and no losses...it's not a linear function.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'd say the 1800 figure is assuming you're eating back your exercise calories - possibly?

Regardless, I'd strip it back and enter your information here https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/bwp/ to find out what you SHOULD be eating.
  • TacoTina
    TacoTina Posts: 81 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    hello all I am working out 6 days a week eating my caloric intake most days, but I do have 1 question. If I am to eat 1200 calories a day do I add my calories burned then eat up to that many calories or stay at 1200 no matter what? I'm really confused with this, I am trying to loose about 15 lbs. I am 5.2 weighing in now at 136 been working out for almost 6 months and have only lost 4 lbs thats depressing to me any advice?
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    TacoTina wrote: »
    hello all I am working out 6 days a week eating my caloric intake most days, but I do have 1 question. If I am to eat 1200 calories a day do I add my calories burned then eat up to that many calories or stay at 1200 no matter what? I'm really confused with this, I am trying to loose about 15 lbs. I am 5.2 weighing in now at 136 been working out for almost 6 months and have only lost 4 lbs thats depressing to me any advice?

MFP is set up for you to eat the calories you earn during exercise. So the 1200 is a net eating goal. For example--net goal is 1200. You burn 200 during a run. Enter that on MFP So now you can eat 1400, which is what MFP will show you.

Because you are already relatively small (very similar to me at 5'2" and 132 lbs), this is going to be more difficult and slower for you. 4 lbs is not bad, considering you should be shooting for losing 1/2-1 lb per week. If you are middle aged or older, you may find that as you get lighter (like closer to 125) you will have to manually lower your NET goal a little ( you will still be eating above 1200 when you add in exercise calories!). It is tough for small gals to create a deficit because our bodies don't burn a large amount of calories maintaining such a (relatively) small weight. And a small weight goal is (unfortunately) appropriate for short gals. For a mid size frame at my height, many calculators predict I should weigh between 115 and 125. And some give a much lower number. So I feel your pain!

But overall, whatever you are doing actually seems to be working! Just make sure your expectations are appropriate too!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kimmym0324 wrote: »
    I'm confused, mfp says to eat 1500 calories a day but i'm doing a weight loss competition and was told to eat my weight X 7 and when i do that it comes out to 1883. The first week on i started i lost 10.6 pounds, last week i gained .6 pounds and this week i haven't lost anything. Should I up my calories? Or just give it another week??

Formulas like weight x 7 (I've seen x 10 and other versions too) are bad ideas, since they ignore things like activity, actual weight, how much you have to lose, and all other individual variability. (For example, that formula would give me 875, which would be unsafe and is ridiculous when I can lose well on double that.)

MFP's number assumes 2 lb/week (assuming you put that as your goal), but without exercise. If you exercise you log that and get more calories (although it's best not to eat them all as they are overstated).

The first week it's common to lose a bunch -- water weight -- and then a bit less often as your body loses the fat and replaces some of the water.

I used the MFP estimate when I started and found it to work well, and I'd recommend that. Just don't forget to add back some if you exercise.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kimmym0324 wrote: »

The first week it's common to lose a bunch -- water weight -- and then a bit less often as your body loses the fat and replaces some of the water.

Instead of repeating advice, I'll just second this with the evidence of my own experience. With similar stats as yours, I lost a ton in the first week (mostly water), nothing on the second week, and just a tiny fraction on the third. After four or five weeks, I started settling into a normal rate.

My propensity for retaining water still wreaks havoc on my weekly rate of loss, so in the first few months, I also learned to detach myself from the scale (emotionally) and just started looking at the long-term trends instead of the day-to-day data. If the trend is down, and it's not a turtle's pace, I'm happy, even with fluctuations.

From my understanding, this initial fluctuation happens to a lot of people, and the more you have to lose, the more you can jump around on those first few weeks. Keep your deficit going and you'll see results.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I think the most effective way to do this is go online and use a TDEE calculator, Total daily energy expenditure...Then you can figure out who many calories you need to maintain or loose 1lb/week would be 500 less then TDEE a day and 2lbs/week would be 1000 less per day. I really like my fitbit charge, it does an excellent job of calculating my TDEE everyday.
  • kimmym0324
    kimmym0324 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My weightx7 is 1,015. Just looking at that number makes me hungry :/