Learning to gain. Advice?

Options
Hey Everyone
I'm trying to gain weight. Eating healthy balanced meal & snacks. I truly don't eat out much, maybe once every two weeks. I have a really high metabolism. My question to everyone is, When should I start working out? What type of exercise? And what should my marco nutrients be at? Thanks for any positive/supportive advice.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    your macros should be for bulking, high in carbs, maybe 50% or 60%. no more protein than 1 g/ pound of bodyweight

1g of protein per lb of body mass isn't needed.
    • 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of body mass
    • 0.4-0.45g of fat per lb of body mass
    • fill rest of calories with carbs

OP you probably don't have a high metabolism. Eat at a 250 calorie surplus (0.5lb gain per week) or 500 calorie surplus (1lb gain per week).

What are your goals? Build muscle, strength, both? Just increase weight?

• SoccerGurl01
    SoccerGurl01 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank u for the advice. My goal is to build muscle. I'm currently weighing in at 105.8. Goal is to reach 115 then build muscle. Otherwise I drop to 100 & that scares me.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    When should I start working out?
    Today.
    What type of exercise?
    The kind that you like enough (or don't dislike enough) to do consistently. Try everything: Weights, yoga, swimming, crossfit, ... Just do SOME activity at least 3 times per week until you find a pattern that works for you. Join a gym if it helps. Buy some weights if it helps. Do whatever you need to do to be active.

Especially if you're a beginner, just about any full-body activity is going to help you put on some muscle (as long as you're eating enough).
    And what should my marco nutrients be at?
    Whatever works for you to keep you eating your caloric goal.

2 pieces of advice:
    1) It's a marathon, not a race.
    2) It's a lifestyle change, not a "diet" or a "cleanse" or any other marketing buzzword.

Good luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Thank u for the advice. My goal is to build muscle. I'm currently weighing in at 105.8. Goal is to reach 115 then build muscle. Otherwise I drop to 100 & that scares me.

why don't you start building muscle now?

set your macros to what isack said; get on a structured lifting program like strong lifts, and start eating in a caloric surplus. Also, don't be afraid of calorie dense foods like ice cream, cookies, bagels, etc.
  • RedWolf09
    RedWolf09 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    When should I start working out?
    Today.
    What type of exercise?
    The kind that you like enough (or don't dislike enough) to do consistently. Try everything: Weights, yoga, swimming, crossfit, ... Just do SOME activity at least 3 times per week until you find a pattern that works for you. Join a gym if it helps. Buy some weights if it helps. Do whatever you need to do to be active.

Especially if you're a beginner, just about any full-body activity is going to help you put on some muscle (as long as you're eating enough).
    And what should my marco nutrients be at?
    Whatever works for you to keep you eating your caloric goal.

2 pieces of advice:
    1) It's a marathon, not a race.
    2) It's a lifestyle change, not a "diet" or a "cleanse" or any other marketing buzzword.

Good luck!

+1
  • SoccerGurl01
    Options
    @ndj1979 thank you for the advice on eating calorie dense foods. As far as not lifting, I'm just starting this whole change recently. I will incorporate exercise. And obviously muscle weighs more than fat so that's what I'm gonna have to do. Gradually add more til I reach my goal.
  • SoccerGurl01
    Options
    @leolibby233 @IsaackGMOON @xmichaelyx @RedWolf09 thank u for your advice and responses
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @ndj1979 thank you for the advice on eating calorie dense foods. As far as not lifting, I'm just starting this whole change recently. I will incorporate exercise. And obviously muscle weighs more than fat so that's what I'm gonna have to do. Gradually add more til I reach my goal.

I think @njd1979 is why add 15 lbs of fat, which you will probably not like the final result, when you can address your longer term goals more quickly. The fact is, you will gain fat and muscle while in a surplus (pending you get adequate protein and are lifting). Why not maximize muscle growth to help support your body (more muscle = less stress on joints), improve your metabolism, and help you get stronger?
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    The fact is, you will gain fat and muscle while in a surplus (pending you get adequate protein and are lifting).

This can be regulated by eating a strict surplus of only 10%+ TDEE. Enough to promote growth, but not so much where you noticeably get fat.

Once you start eating 20% or more than TDEE, the added extra fat becomes apparent.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    The fact is, you will gain fat and muscle while in a surplus (pending you get adequate protein and are lifting).

This can be regulated by eating a strict surplus of only 10%+ TDEE. Enough to promote growth, but not so much where you noticeably get fat.

Once you start eating 20% or more than TDEE, the added extra fat becomes apparent.
    Anytime there is a surplus, you will always gain fat, even with a small surplus. It is impossible or at least i have never seen any evidence to be able to gain 100% muscle.
  • ngarcia842003
    ngarcia842003 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi
  • ngarcia842003
    ngarcia842003 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi

• sixxpoint
    Options

Anytime there is a surplus, you will always gain fat, even with a small surplus. It is impossible or at least i have never seen any evidence to be able to gain 100% muscle.

I didn't say it was impossible to not gain fat, I said that the amount of fat added vs. lean muscle can be regulated. In the fitness world, we call this a 10% bulk relative to TDEE, e.g. a clean bulk.

A Dirty bulk, 20% or higher than TDEE packs on the lbs. quick. You get noticebly chubbier/huskier with a dirty bulk.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I didn't say it was impossible to not gain fat, I said that the amount of fat added vs. lean muscle can be regulated. In the fitness world, we call this a 10% bulk relative to TDEE, e.g. a clean bulk.

A Dirty bulk, 20% or higher than TDEE packs on the lbs. quick. You get noticebly chubbier/huskier with a dirty bulk.
    Oh i am fully aware of the differences in a clean and dirty bulk but regardless, fat gains will still occur, even more so with women.

• sixxpoint
    edited September 2015
    Options

Oh i am fully aware of the differences in a clean and dirty bulk but regardless, fat gains will still occur, even more so with women.

You're not getting the basic principle of my argument. I'm not sure if it's because you are trying to support your own argument, or just plain ignorance.

Nevertheless, what I said is the truth. Research until your heart's content.
  • psuLemon
    edited September 2015
    Options

You're not getting the basic principle of my argument. I'm not sure if it's because you are trying to support your own argument, or just plain ignorance.

Then back your statement with some supporting info, instead of making assumptions about what i do and do not understand.

Men can typically gain at a 1:1 ratio if they have been lifting for awhile. Women tend to be less than that even with a small surpls.. more like .5:1. And considering the situation of the OP i am not sure it would be much better.
  • sixxpoint
    edited September 2015
    Options

Then back your statement with some supporting info, instead of making assumptions about what i do and do not understand.

Men can typically gain at a 1:1 ratio if they have been lifting for awhile. Women tend to be less than that even with a small surpls.. more like .5:1. And considering the situation of the OP i am not sure it would be much better.

You can back up yours.

My logic is based on 30+ years of scientific evidence in nutrition.

Yours is based on nothing.

I'm guessing you never spent time fine tuning your body, going through various cutting and billing phases, or even utilizing +/- ratios to TDEE.
  • psuLemon
    edited September 2015
    Options

Once you start eating 20% or more tha8n TDEE, the added extra fat becomes apparent.

You can back up yours.

My logic is based on 30+ years of scientific evidence in nutrition.

Yours is based on nothing.

I'm guessing you never spent time fine tuning your body, going through various cutting and billing phases, or even utilizing +/- ratios to TDEE.

Edit: even though you are 32, about same as me, i can bet we arent so different.

Having said that, no matter the surplus you will gain some fat. Yes clean bulking help maximize the amount of muscle and minimize fat gains if the circumstances are good. The fact that the OP isnt weight training (hasn't even started and doesnt plan to start until she is 10 lbs heavier would suggest its going to be fat regardless if she does it slow or fast.